Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 11:09 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I have no money and can't get the formal education or training many employers require. Knowing law or accounting (for example) won't get you a job without the right piece of paper employers (and sometimes also government) require.
It sucks to be you.

Stand on a corner with a sign and a cup.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 11:23 AM

867 posts, read 498,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
What's the point in working your ass off when you know that for one reason or another you won't get where you want to get, anyway? People would be stupid...
Well it obvious to me that many are.

the point of working your ass off is to work toward meeting our life-s goals, as well as meeting your fiscal responsibilities (take care of children, spouse or other dependents).

Liberals think you should work your ass off to fund their anti-America(n) agendas.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Should Americans have the right to purchase real property in increments they can afford, or should that be up to government?
Obviously the former, if you can find a willing seller.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Well it obvious to me that many are.

the point of working your ass off is to work toward meeting our life-s goals, as well as meeting your fiscal responsibilities (take care of children, spouse or other dependents).

Liberals think you should work your ass off to fund their anti-America(n) agendas.
The US is a very class-conscious society. On the one hand they keep promoting that American dream / from rags to riches myth, on the other hand they know very well that the US would collapse without the massive lower middle class and underclass working their butts off without getting anywhere, doing the jobs hardly anyone wants to do.

I couldn't care less whether or not a view is anti-American. All that matters to me is whether or not it is right or wrong in my view.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
The US is a very class-conscious society. On the one hand they keep promoting that American dream / from rags to riches myth, on the other hand they know very well that the US would collapse without the massive lower middle class and underclass working their butts off without getting anywhere, doing the jobs hardly anyone wants to do.

I couldn't care less whether or not a view is anti-American. All that matters to me is whether or not it is right or wrong in my view.

1. Very class-consious? Absolute BS. You have nary a clue what you speak of. We don't even has classes, and the economic strata we refer to are dynamic in that people move freeling between them. Poor become rich, rich become poor and every other move, many times in their lives.

2. Rags to Rich myth? Again, UR clueless.

3. ...without getting anywhere,... Obviously you are speaking for yourself only.

I think your views are so jaundiced and out-of-focus as to render them useless.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:48 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,513 times
Quote:
Well, you said it, perhaps inexactly.

However, let me connect the dots for you.

Investment creates jobs (dot #1), Rich people make Investments (dot #2).

(Drawing virtual line between dots 1 and 2 abovd).

Now, does that help.
#1 is wrong. Investment does not always create jobs.

#2 is wrong. Not all rich people make investments.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:51 AM

758 posts, read 591,342 times
Quote:
Your plan is a national cyanide capsule.

Let me help you. America is about the people, their wants and aspirations, not the government, the governing class and their insatiable gluttony.
So you think that making the wealthy pay taxes is "punishing success" and that the working and middle class are all gluttons. You're right that America is about the people but not the corporations or the estates and their insatiable greed.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
#1 is wrong. Investment does not always create jobs.

#2 is wrong. Not all rich people make investments.
Do you have any idea whatsoever, how far out your have had to go in an attempt to support your failed premise?

#1 investment does not always create jobs". Yes, that is true, but no jobs are created in the absence of investment. Creating a job, funding it, etc., is in itself, an investment and requires investment capital to do. Further, other investments might not create a job, per se, but tend to contrubute to maintaining jobs by giving them, via their companies, work to do, business to conduct.

#2 There may be a tiny percent who don't, but virtually all do, directly or indirectly. Even putting your cash in a savings accounts is "investement" or contributes thereto by making money available to loan to business to grow their business and either support, create or both, employees.

Your self-imposed blinders have become blindfolds.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
So you think that making the wealthy pay taxes is "punishing success" and that the working and middle class are all gluttons. You're right that America is about the people but not the corporations or the estates and their insatiable greed.
Can you get anything right? Is your lack of accuracy deliberate?

Of course, I want everyone to pay taxes, including the rich. I just want to do so in a manner that doesn't cut off our noses to spite our faces. You are more interested in punishing the rich, most likely because of self-imposed failures on your part, than helping America.

The glutton I refer to is the government and the governing class. Is that not obvious to you??

Corporatons are just people collected in a common endeavor (making cars, generating electricity, making or selling stuff).

I have an idea for you to try.

Try to succeed, to prevail, to become a winner, not the perinnial loser.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:05 PM

5,522 posts, read 10,201,463 times
Quote:
1. Very class-consious? Absolute BS. You have nary a clue what you speak of. We don't even has classes, and the economic strata we refer to are dynamic in that people move freeling between them. Poor become rich, rich become poor and every other move, many times in their lives.
No, they dont. The US has some of the least economic mobility in the civilized world.

Understanding Mobility in America

Almost all of that "movement" you speak of is within 1 income quintile, and the highest predictor of a childs income is their parents income, which speaks for the outright lack of equality of opportunity in this country.

Quote:
2. Rags to Rich myth? Again, UR clueless.
It is a myth, dispite the right wing media soldiering against it. For every one poor kid that makes it to the top 1%, 99 of them dont, and of those 99, well over half can look foward to life as poor adult. In fact, even middle quintile children are more likely to achieve a LOWER income then their parents, then a higher income, but nearly 100% of them end up either in the identical income quintile or within 1 income quintile higher or lower.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies