Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 04:19 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,480,513 times

Advertisements

Dosnt matter how ones earns it. The fact that the gvmt thinks 1/3 of ones income belongs to them is disgusting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 05:42 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
The fair tax applies only to NEW goods. If you buy a NEW house from a developer, you pay tax. If you buy an existing house from a homeowner who is moving, you don't pay tax.

The fair tax also applies to SERVICES. Rent is a service. So if you can't buy a house and therefore you must rent, you pay tax. Let's say the land owner currently charges $1000 a month rent. Under the fair tax the land owner will have to charge enough for him to make $1000 after tax.
Rent is not taxed

Old 04-19-2012, 06:14 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Your capitol gains income is taxed at exactly the same rate as his it, assuming, of course, one has enough "on-the-ball" to have any.
Or even less. Lower income people pay ZERO long term capital gains taxes.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
I think it boils down to lobbyists. People with tons of money to burn can hire armies of lobbyists and smooth talking prostitutes to ensure that they get their taxes cut. The prostitutes are also called Republican Legislators. They don't work for you.

Yes, and they spend all their money on prostitutes instead of paying taxes. That increases prostitute employment. But that is a good thing since the prostitutes spend that money on goods and services and create jobs. So these Republican Legislators are increasing jobs every day. In fact, they may have a bumper sticker that says "Fvck a prostitute and add a job".

So you see, it's better to buy prostitutes than pay taxes.

The Dems, on the other hand just screw people without paying them. Their bumper sticker reads "Fvck over somebody and make them believe you are on their side". And they are quite good at it.

Old 04-19-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Ok so for everyone lambasting me about something I already know about - effective vs. marginal tax rates... I just did the math. My effective tax rate based on my taxable income is 26.7%. Mitt Romney paid 13.9% and 15.4% in the last two years respectively. Warren Buffett's was somewhere around 11%. So it's still about half the rate I pay.
Ever hear about capital loss carry forward?

You could pay zero if you have enough losses in prior years.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:14 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Two things:

1) A lot of my neighbors worked in state government or a nearby college, there were a lot of raises going around. Tenure is awesome for those who have it.

2) Since the college tuition was soaring, the students who lived in this town were considerably more affluent than the students who lived there in the 1970s.

Since I had a lowly private sector job and couldn't afford the soaring tuition, I missed the boat.
Millions have managed to prosper or at least advance their financial positions thru life without being tenured professors or state government workers. Everyone is given a certain starting point with some advantages or disadvantages compared to others, and given you seem like a intelligent person who communicates well one has to wonder if there are either some very poor choices being made or motivation issues related to you having never gotten past very low wages over a 25 year period.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:01 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
ambient - the primary reason our tax code subsidizes Capital Gains is to support the privilege and exclusivity of the very top 1%. Another reason is they own the country and the government and can have you and I pay for it. The system is NOT set up to be FAIR. It is set up to prevent fairness of any form or function.

As I have said elsewhere I think all income from all sources from tag sales to drug profits to capital gains should be subject to income tax after a deductable set at the 90th percentile. That would make the owners of the country pay for their privilege.
Anyone can earn 15%.

Just invest.

It is not a "rich persons tax rate".

Old 04-19-2012, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bufftet only makes $100K in INCOME.
Don't tell these lefties the TRUTH!

It doesn't fit the narrative of of lies and deceit by obama.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
AFAIAC - All increases in wealth are INCOME and should be taxed as INCOME! The entire idea of Capital Gains is just a way rich people avoid paying their fair share.

If people move their accounts "offshore" they would still be taxed on the profits. If they moved off shore they would lose their citizenship and have all their US assets confiscated. Try and cheat by hiding their money offshore and I would hunt down their money. Move themselves away and I would hunt them down. Either would cost them more than staying here and paying their fair share.
As I've stated, if you were ambitious and decided to by an income producing property, YOUR rate on that income would be 15%!

Because it is income that you RISK and has already been taxed.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:09 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephistopheles View Post
Flat tax for anyone who makes over $400,000 a-year. I agree with that part, but flat taxes will only benefit the rich more. You have to draw the line somewhere, and I think that's suitable number. Anyone who makes over $400,000 a-year which IS rich, should pay 50%.
How did you pick 50%? How did you decide that $400,000 is rich? Please explain your rationale. Or did you use a dart board?

A flatter, simplified tax code, reduces fraud, improves tax collection, reduces the government overhead required to process and validate taxes, and reduces the amount of time wasted by all taxpayers dealing with their taxes.

On your earlier post - do you want to see a national property tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies