Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-19-2012, 05:06 PM

867 posts, read 498,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Millions of Americans work hard and exert effort without ever becoming rich. So your "solution" obviously does not work for many.

I have offered a plausible explanation why minimum lot sizes might be used, and why a house might be lawfully rented but not lawfully sold.

Do you have a better explanation?
You may not become truly rich, but you can prosper.

I don't know or care about your silly little lot example. It is a trifle. Go buy some other lot.

I would say, that if you can't see the difference between renting (which is merely a temporary contract between two parties, and can be for a house, a whole building, a complex of buildings, or a garage, or even a parking space), and a purchase, which involves a change of title, which involves the subdivision of property, public records, etc., then you really don't belong here. Why should the county chop up a long-standing property record into two smaller parcels just because some pauper can't afford to buy an existing whole lot? And when you go to sell, now the county has two tiny parcels to deal with.

It is, dare I say, common sense, but that appears to be outside of your grasp.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 06:51 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
You may not become truly rich, but you can prosper.

I don't know or care about your silly little lot example. It is a trifle. Go buy some other lot.

I would say, that if you can't see the difference between renting (which is merely a temporary contract between two parties, and can be for a house, a whole building, a complex of buildings, or a garage, or even a parking space), and a purchase, which involves a change of title, which involves the subdivision of property, public records, etc., then you really don't belong here. Why should the county chop up a long-standing property record into two smaller parcels just because some pauper can't afford to buy an existing whole lot? And when you go to sell, now the county has two tiny parcels to deal with.

It is, dare I say, common sense, but that appears to be outside of your grasp.

Go buy some other lot...where the minimum lot size is 10,000 sq ft, there is NO affordable lot. So much for your idea.

It's silly to think a modern 21st century county would be overburdened by changes to a land parcel. Counties are revenue generating machines, they would love the opportunity to rake in more money. There are plenty of fees involved, so no county is going to take a big hit. When *I* go to sell I'm going to sell ONE lot, not two, so why would there be two lots to deal with at the same time.

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between renting (a temporary contract without protection from soaring rents and/or displacement ) and a purchase (which stabilizes housing costs, provides tenure and protection from rent increases and displacement, and gives the purchaser greater control over the use and features of his home ). Doesn't prevailing opinion hold that home ownership is a Good Thing and worthy of government advancement?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Go buy some other lot...where the minimum lot size is 10,000 sq ft, there is NO affordable lot. So much for your idea.

It's silly to think a modern 21st century county would be overburdened by changes to a land parcel. Counties are revenue generating machines, they would love the opportunity to rake in more money. There are plenty of fees involved, so no county is going to take a big hit. When *I* go to sell I'm going to sell ONE lot, not two, so why would there be two lots to deal with at the same time.

Yes, there is a HUGE difference between renting (a temporary contract without protection from soaring rents and/or displacement ) and a purchase (which stabilizes housing costs, provides tenure and protection from rent increases and displacement, and gives the purchaser greater control over the use and features of his home ). Doesn't prevailing opinion hold that home ownership is a Good Thing and worthy of government advancement?
Boooooo Hooooooo, Boooooo Hooooooooo - poor pauper can't buy in Caviar country with his boiled-potatoes ambition. If the county wanted to subdivide into postage-stamp lots, they would have done so. They still get the same property tax, except from two landowners, the regular one and Mr. Pauper.

Itemize for me the last 10 things you have done to improve your market value as an employee.

Last edited by Beatles4evr; 04-19-2012 at 11:17 PM..

Old 04-19-2012, 11:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,469,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Boooooo Hooooooo, Boooooo Hooooooooo - poor pauper can't buy in Caviar country with his boiled-potatoes ambition. If the county wanted to subdivide into postage-stamp lots, they would have done so. They still get the same property tax, except from two landowners, the regular one and Mr. Pauper.

If you can't man up, and least boy-up.

The country hates the poor, that's why they raise the bar to a level the poor can't afford. How dense can you be?

Try READING, exploring, looking things up.

The poor cannot be allowed to buy homes lest they gain a foothold and become immune to displacement. Better to keep them in rent slavery where they can be easily dispersed when others want their homes.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
The country hates the poor, that's why they raise the bar to a level the poor can't afford. How dense can you be?

Try READING, exploring, looking things up.

The poor cannot be allowed to buy homes lest they gain a foothold and become immune to displacement. Better to keep them in rent slavery where they can be easily dispersed when others want their homes.
It is sad how confused you are. The world hates the poor, but in most countries if you are born poor, well, you live and die poor. Here in the USA, it doesn't matter.

Here's a great idea for you. Work your way from poor to not-so-poor, to affluent. Oh, sorry, my bad, that would take effort.

Old 04-20-2012, 02:17 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous. I don't drink coffee ($600?/yr), don't smoke ($1500?/yr), don't eat out ($1000?/yr), already buy clothes secondhand ($500?/yr), no TV at all ($100?/yr), no cable at all ($1000?/yr), prepaid cell phone and no landline (costs me $120/yr instead of $300 for a landline).

Gee, according to you I should be socking away $5000 a year just by not spending money on those things.
How about yoru internet bill. and cost of computer

Old 04-20-2012, 03:17 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,759 times
Quote:
Lower income people who already own a home are mostly older people living on lower fixed retirement incomes. Fortunately they also tend to no longer have mortgages to pay, plus many states offer tax breaks to these people.

I was in the position of living in an affordable area which became gentrified and unaffordable. Was I shopping in the wrong area? Should I have to move out because outsiders with more money want to move in? Should poor people have to live as nomads, settling for whatever is rejected by everyone else?
Living in an affordable area how? Were you renting or owning? If you were an owner all it did was raise the value of your home...not your mortgage payment. If you were renting, what kind of an increase are you talking about and over what period of time? Did the landlord make improvements to the property to attract higher income renters that he could charge more?

None the less, no you don't have to live as a nomad....just move to a different area that's affordable, just like it was at one time where you were currently living. Was that something you had to settle for that was rejected by everyone else?

Old 04-20-2012, 04:04 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm sure I've worked just as hard. But instead of accepting that I'll only make $8 an hour my whole life, I've taken classes, read books and studied to improve my salary.

And those pennies that this guy spends probably include beer, cigarettes and the newest gadgets.

Why exactly should I pay for HIS lifestyle, whatever it is. If he wants to make more money, then he should do something about it. But giving him a free ride, while taking MY money, is not FAIR.

Well said

Old 04-20-2012, 04:05 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,481,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
The concept of living paycheck to paycheck does not include setting aside money for retirement, the concept of paycheck to paycheck means your basic living expenses come right to your paycheck.

No it dosnt. It means you just spend everything you make. I know people who make $100,000 a yr and live paycheck to paycheck.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
How about yoru internet bill. and cost of computer
He needs to up his boiled-potatoes ambition level up to, say, fried rice and roast beef, but again, my bad, 'cause that would take that evil E-word -- EFFORT!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies