Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 11:31 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times

Advertisements

Marriage license, lol, Americans...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 11:33 AM

867 posts, read 498,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Ok, good comeback but what about the Jim Crow laws, housing discrimination laws, equal pay for equal work, laws prior to the Civil Right Laws? There are still seperatist laws in the south that are still on the books but are not enforced.
No wonder you are failing - you're living in the past - staring at the runway behind you, so to speak. Happy landings (if you ever leave the runway).

Old 04-20-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Marriage license, lol, Americans...
Marriage license, lol, non-Americans...

Old 04-20-2012, 11:41 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives?
It isn't fair, if that were the case. The tax rate arehere:
Federal Tax Rate; Multiple Baselines; Distribution by Cash Income Percentile, 2013

Income percentile
Lowest quintile 1.8%
80-90 21.4
90-95 22.8
95-99 24.6
Top 1% 29.6%
TOP .01% 32.6 <<<
Cash income baseline

They are clearly being taxed higher than anyone else on earned income. The left is trying to get at their capital gains on investments. The way for you to join them is to invest successfully and use the same deductions that investment income has always had. You can't package wage income tax with capital gains tax (on investments) and call it the same thing, or unfair.

Why aren't you mad at the 52% that pay nothing at all? After all, they're using deductions (just like millionaires) to zero their taxes out entirely, with many relying fully on the state (you and I) for their income.

Last edited by steven_h; 04-20-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-20-2012, 12:00 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Not true, there is discrimination of class, sex, ethnicity and religion which is passed down along with the lack of opportunity for those already on the bottom
Did you know that white poverty dwarfs all other empoverished races by 3-1 combined? This means that skin color has little to do with being poor. This fact supports only class and to some extent sex. Ethnicity and religion have long been shelved, except to those who refuse to let them retire gracefully.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
No wonder you are failing - you're living in the past - staring at the runway behind you, so to speak. Happy landings (if you ever leave the runway).
What makes you think that I'm failing? Why because I'm aware of my as well of the history of this country and will speak on it? I have serve 20 years in the military worked for the state of Pa and the presently employed in the Federal government so I guess by yours and romneys standards I could be considered as "failing".

Old 04-20-2012, 12:14 PM

Quote:
What makes you think that I'm failing? Why because I'm aware of my as well of the history of this country and will speak on it? I have serve 20 years in the military worked for the state of Pa and the presently employed in the Federal government so I guess by yours and romneys standards I could be considered as "failing".
Your attutude, experessed in your posts, made me believe that. If I in error, I retract. Thanks for your service in the military. I'll not comment on Federal civil service, but hope you are not "typical" of that ilk.

However, I ask when are you going to strike out on your own.

Old 04-20-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Did you know that white poverty dwarfs all other empoverished races by 3-1 combined? This means that skin color has little to do with being poor. This fact supports only class and to some extent sex. Ethnicity and religion have long been shelved, except to those who refuse to let them retire gracefully.

Nope, Native American proverty trumps all of that. The reason that white proverty dwarfs that of other groups is because of the shear number of whites compared to other ethnic groups, but percentage wise it is the Native Americans that have the highest proverty rates.

Skin color does not cause proverty, but skin as well as other factors contribute to racism which is a big part of the economic class system in this country. All of the republican candidates have some history or made remarks that are considered to be disparaging to blacks as regards to proverty why is that?

Ethnicity is tied into racism, since the whole thing of racial classification is something that is man-made. As far as religion is concerned, what makes you think that it has been shelved? This is the only reason that someone like santorum was able to get as far as he did. Many southern chrisitians do not want anything to do with romney BECAUSE he is a mormon. The religious fanatics have all but taken over the republican party. The President has been falsely accused of being a muslim, that being said what makes you think that religion is being shelved?

Old 04-20-2012, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatles4evr View Post
Your attutude, experessed in your posts, made me believe that. If I in error, I retract. Thanks for your service in the military. I'll not comment on Federal civil service, but hope you are not "typical" of that ilk.

However, I ask when are you going to strike out on your own.

Because of the attacks on the federal government (some just, some unjust) I will be leaving and starting my own staffing business were people can earn a liviable wage for good work.

Believe it or not all Federal civil service employees are not that bad or are in a dept that is a waste of money. I work in the VA and I'm witnessing a higher workload due to my fellow military members returning home. On top of that the VA has slowed up hiring qualified people due to the outrage created by the uninformed public, attacks by the republicans and the back tracking of the weak kneed dumbocrats.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:36 PM

409 posts, read 254,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
This year, we hit the 33% marginal tax bracket - alternative minimum tax and all of that. We don't own a home or have kids, so we don't really get to deduct anything.

I'm grateful for our income, and I'm not fundamentally complaining about having to work hard for it and pay my fair share. I know that we're very fortunate.

But why is it fair for my personal share to be up to TWICE the rate of the fair share of people with gargantuan incomes like Romney and Buffett who will never have real financial worries again in their lives? We're doing well, but unlike those guys, we do depend heavily on our cash flow to generate our critical savings for future needs as well as to cover our day-to-day expenses. We get hurt by the loss of that marginal dollar A LOT more than the multi-millionaires and billionaires ever would be.

And why is it "class warfare" whenever I point this out? How is it not "class warfare" for me to be reamed porportionally so much more than the super rich - many of whose enterprises I also have to pay to bail out of their bad business decisions?

I'm not saying that the Buffett rule is the way to go, but why can't we have a tax system that institutes some sense of consistent fairness relative to income all the way across the income spectrum? Why is this concept so fundamentally controversial and anti-American for conservatives?
How about your get off your lazy ass and make more money than Buffet or Romney? If you not sit back down and shut up. Jealousy pure jealousy. Without people like them you would not have a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies