Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 10:15 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are you suggesting being a corporate executive is not hardworking? I am not sure if you have been in a position to make decisions that may affect hundreds or even thousands of people. If your decision is wrong, not only your job and your high salary is out of the window, but also thousands of other people's job.

Talking about stress!
Exactly right! I knew a guy that started a carpet mill from nothing, he worked 16 hours a day and employed hundreds of people. He also died of a heart attack at the age of 43, at his desk. I'd say he literally worked himself to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 11:02 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,956,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Are you suggesting being a corporate executive is not hardworking?
What I am saying is that compensation for corporate executives in the U.S. has skyrocketed over the last few decades in comparison to everyone else and overseas. Are you suggesting that American corporate executives now work harder than they did in 1970 or their counterpart in other countries? The difference is that today's U.S. CEOs essentially live in a rigged system where they appoint the Board who sets their salaries.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:48 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,456,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
How about your get off your lazy ass and make more money than Buffet or Romney? If you not sit back down and shut up. Jealousy pure jealousy. Without people like them you would not have a job.
Listen up, good sir: last year, my wife and I brought in over $300K about evenly split. We're notsimply millionaires, but wethe both work hard in impactful, demanding leadership jobs at companies that you've surely heard of - and we're young, still working our way up, and amassing wealth at a pretty good clip. There's a good statistical chance that we are more economically productive and valuable from .a tax/revenue standpoint to society, dollar for dollar, then YOU or many other right-wingers around here who write me off as some bitter-grapes welfare leech.

I work hard, and I have no problem with others working even harder and earning a lot more than me. I just don't see why my effextive tax burden should be DOUBLE theirs. And people who earn less than me should pay a lower effective rate than me -and but still pay something. Why is this such a hard concept to understand? Get it through your thick skull before you come at me and talk ****.

Last edited by ambient; 04-26-2012 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-26-2012, 12:52 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh? Paris Hilton is very hard working I presume.

Equally so, I know a few sons of the elite who upon graduating college were installed in high-level corporate positions where they have staff that do everything and nevertheless receive high compensation.
Good for them. They are the 0.00001%. For most people hard work and discipline and perseverance are the determining factors.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:54 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Listen up, good sir: last year, my wife and I brought in over $300K about evenly split. We both work hard in impactful, demanding leadership jobs at companies that you've surely heard of. There's a good statistical chance that we are more economically productive and valuable from a tax/revenue standpoint to society, dollar for dollar, then YOU or many other right-wingers around here who write me off as some bitter-grapes welfare leech.

I work hard, and I have no problem with others working even harder and earning a lot more than me. I just don't see why my effextive tax burden should be double theirs. Why is this such a hard concept to understand? Get it through your thick skull before you come at me and talk ****.
You paid the exact same rate as Romney did for his earned income in the same income band. Download his tax return.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:31 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,145,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've never had a tax break in my life. Perhaps I'm jealous, but I think I just want to keep more of what I earn instead of having it redistributed upward to people with tax breaks.

Stop the tax gimmicks, lower tax rates for all.
Those "tax breaks" as you so colorfully put them are available for every citizen - including YOU. All you have to do is qualify for them by having a business that contributes to the economy, provides employment, etc. Just because you have never done anything beside file 1040EZ your whole life doesn't mean that you aren't ELIGIBLE to have every single exemption and deduction than AT&T or General Electric has.

Instead of complaining how its so UNNNFFFAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIRRRRRRR, you ought to strive toward excellence so that YOU TOO can become a contributing member of society. Ya think?

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-26-2012, 02:38 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Burger flippers get off their asses every day and have practically nothing toi show for it. Millions of Americans work hard and have practically nothing to show for it.

I flipped burgers one summer and it was not what I would call easy. We got slammed at lunch every weekday by hundreds of office workers from across the street.
I think you recognize (but don't want to admit) that when people here say "hard work" they don't simply mean "tiring" work.

Flipping burgers requires no skill that can't be obtained in one day, no education, and requires no investment risk. So burger flippers can't become wealthy unless they get really good at it, catch the boss's eye, and move up the ladder. Then they become assistant manager, then manager, then owner.

If the burger flipper can't take it and quits, there are many people available and willing to take his/her place.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,326,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
riches do not come from being lazy and doing nothing

You are absolutely right! Ask Paris Hilton and Nicole Smith

Old 04-27-2012, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Those "tax breaks" as you so colorfully put them are available for every citizen - including YOU. All you have to do is qualify for them by having a business that contributes to the economy, provides employment, etc. Just because you have never done anything beside file 1040EZ your whole life doesn't mean that you aren't ELIGIBLE to have every single exemption and deduction than AT&T or General Electric has.

Instead of complaining how its so UNNNFFFAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIRRRRRRR, you ought to strive toward excellence so that YOU TOO can become a contributing member of society. Ya think?

20yrsinBranson
Aer'nt the tax breaks enjoyed by the wealthy are from capital gains? So unless you have the money to invest in the first place you cannot get the same tax breaks...............I could be wrong but if Iam please explain

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Good for them. They are the 0.00001%. For most people hard work and discipline and perseverance are the determining factors.

.......Or parents/grandparents that worked/stole their butts off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies