Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 01:42 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Whats next? eating, drinking,changing radio stations, picking your nose, applying make-up...
Eating - Yes
Drinking - No
Radio - No
Picking your nose - No (but don't pretend your not when busted)
Applying makeup - Yes

Common sense should tell you not to eat and drive. You are rolling around in a 3,000+ pound vehicle with everyone else in a 3000+ pound vehicle and you don't think certain things should be banned?

I think seat belt laws are stupid as they don't effect anyone but the moron who chooses not to wear one but when people are distracted or impaired they effect those around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 01:44 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Eating - Yes
Drinking - No
Radio - No
Applying makeup - Yes

Common sense should tell you not to eat and drive. You are rolling around in a 3,000+ pound vehicle with everyone else in a 3000+ pound vehicle and you don't think certain things should be banned?

I think seat belt laws are stupid as they don't effect anyone but the moron who chooses not to wear one but when people are distracted or impaired they effect those around them.
Drinking what?

Beer? Vodka? 151?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:47 PM

45,247 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tluv00 View Post
Eating - Yes
Drinking - No
Radio - No
Applying makeup - Yes

law happy is as law happy does.
As previoulsy mentioned, the states already have existing laws to deal with those who drive in a manner that endagers others.
How bout chewing gum?

Old 04-30-2012, 01:57 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Regardless, regulating cell phone use while driving is not a federal government responsibility. The states can pass laws on their own.
You mean like here in Texas where there was a push to make texting and driving illegal and the Governor killed it. So not at the State level, then maybe at the conty level? We do not need laws that change everytime someone crosses into another county or state when it comes to driving rules, we are not a bunch of seperate countries together in a lose confederation, no matter how much some may want it to be.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:00 PM

45,247 posts, read 26,482,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
You mean like here in Texas where there was a push to make texting and driving illegal and the Governor killed it. So not at the State level, then maybe at the conty level? We do not need laws that change everytime someone crosses into another county or state when it comes to driving rules, we are not a bunch of seperate countries together in a lose confederation, no matter how much some may want it to be.
Using your pretext, the states should abdicate all traffic laws to the federal government.
Talk about law happy!!

I assume you meant loose and not lose, but yeah Lincoln killed 650,000 to ensure states rights were irrelevant.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:04 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,936,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
If people actually work from their vehicles, there are good hands free options. But I'm sick of people weaving all over the road, causing wrecks, and then the few who kill people because they're trying to drive and dial or worse, text.

It should be as illegal as drinking and driving.
This ^^^^^^^^^

Old 04-30-2012, 02:06 PM

4,217 posts, read 3,766,648 times
Why bluetooth is allowed and holding a cell phone isnt doesnt make a whole lot of sense. The act of holding a phone is not what is distracting, it is the conversation. Holding a cell phone is no different than having a drink or changing the radio or shifting gears.

The problem is that a larger amount of the population is not able to drive and talk at the same time, they tend to pay more attention to the conversation than they do the road. I am not going to lie an dsay I dont talk while driving because I do from time to time. While holding my phone I am still able to use my blinkers, change lanes, maintain my speed, etc. I dont carry on long conversations, get to deep or anything like that..."can you pick up some milk on the way home?" for an example.
Nothing I hate more then getting behind someone in the fast lane going 60mpg, you get around them, they are oblivious that they are even behind the wheel, blabbing away. You honk, give them a dirty look and they seem confused as to what the problem is. UGH!

I see people pull over all the time to talk which they feel they are being responsible but in my eye it is much more dangerous. You see cars hit the brakes cross all lanes of traffic to suddenly stop in the breakdown lane just to answer the phone, youd think a celebrity was calling them. Now that they are pulled over you have the "rubber neckers" looking over, slowing down traffic because they think they are going to witness something at the car that is now pulled over.

Bottom line is that it is unfortunate that it has come to this. Cell phone started there lives as "car phone", phones meant for the "car". We need more coordinated people, or maybe just ones that arent so oblivious to their surroundings.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:07 PM

5,524 posts, read 9,944,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Drinking what?

Beer? Vodka? 151?
Yes that's what I meant. Not a bottle of soda or water but hard alcohol.

The data on the effects of cell phone use in accidents is going to be skewed. In order to get a true number people have to report they where using their phone or the police have to investigate to determine if they where using their phone. Regardless, if it didn't effect others then it would be an issue but it does.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:13 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,030,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
We are a union of soveriegn states who cede certain enumerated powers to a federal government that are better handled at that level rather then by the states. The U.S. Constitution lists what those federal powers are and the 1oth Amendment makes it clear that all other powers "are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

You may be dismayed that this arrangement results in different laws among the states - and that is fine. If you wish to change this, then petition your state legislature to ratify an amendment to the U.S. Constitution to that effect. Unless an amendment is passed that repeals or modifies the 10th Amendment - any federal ban on cell phone use while driving will be unconstitutional.

Old 04-30-2012, 02:23 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,957,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Using your pretext, the states should abdicate all traffic laws to the federal government.
Talk about law happy!!

I assume you meant loose and not lose, but yeah Lincoln killed 650,000 to ensure states rights were irrelevant.
Let see we are ONE Nation, so YES we should have one set of driving laws for all states in the Nation, logic is your friend.
They had no right to break away, if you did your homework you would know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies