Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2012, 10:04 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times

Advertisements

Everyone here who supports a cell phone ban while driving - fine - support laws to that effect in your own state. But realize that this thread is about a federal ban - and regulating cell phone use or actions while driving is not in the purview of Congress - per the 10th Amendment - this responsibility falls to the states.

Sigh - is civics taught anymore in our schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 10:05 PM

32,071 posts, read 15,072,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's continued war on business. Now he's attempting to force decreased productivity for those who work from within their vehicles.

Are you serious. There is no war on business.....it's about safety. If you want to conduct business in your car then pull over when you're on the phone. I am so sick and tired of being behind someone on their cell phone who goes below the speed limit and swerves into other lanes because they aren't paying attention to the road. No one needs to conduct business on their phone especially in their car. What did we do before cell phones. We got alone fine didn't we. What nonsense you spew about decreased productivity

Old 04-27-2012, 10:07 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
I wonder what all of these people are going to blame for bad driving once cell phones are no longer an issue.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:08 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Are you serious. There is no war on business.....it's about safety. If you want to conduct business in your car then pull over when you're on the phone. I am so sick and tired of being behind someone on their cell phone who goes below the speed limit and swerves into other lanes because they aren't paying attention to the road. No one needs to conduct business on their phone especially in their car. What did we do before cell phones. We got alone fine didn't we. What nonsense you spew about decreased productivity
I remember those days,everybody paid attention and there were no accidents

And yeah what harrier said: this a state issue none of the fedguvs business.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:10 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I'll support a cell phone ban when we have a smoking and driving ban.
First, driving and eating.
Second, picking ones nose while driving.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
First, driving and eating.
Second, picking ones nose while driving.
I would actually support a state ban on driving an eating before a cell phone ban.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:12 PM

6,712 posts, read 13,462,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Everyone here who supports a cell phone ban while driving - fine - support laws to that effect in your own state. But realize that this thread is about a federal ban - and regulating cell phone use or actions while driving is not in the purview of Congress - per the 10th Amendment - this responsibility falls to the states.

Sigh - is civics taught anymore in our schools?
Meh... One way or the other the federal government will grasp control of it. They'll do the same thing they did with drinking and driving laws. They'll simply cut federal funding for bridges, highways, and roads in those states until said states adopt those laws.

It's not supposed to be within the power of Congress to legislate on such matters. Nor do I believe that it should be within their power. I'm just explaining what's going to happen.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:17 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I would actually support a state ban on driving an eating before a cell phone ban.
What is it that you do not understand that ALL these things are distractions?
Seriously?
I am a woman, and I wanna jump out of my car and slap other women when I see them putting on makeup while driving.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:20 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
What is it that you do not understand that ALL these things are distractions?
Seriously?
I am a woman, and I wanna jump out of my car and slap other women when I see them putting on makeup while driving.
I hope you would stop the car before you engaged in such acts of road rage.

And you have succinctly stated the reason why there should be no laws banning cell phone use while driving - because there already are laws against it. It is illegal in most states to drive while distracted.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:24 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
I'm pretty sure there are careless driving laws on the books in every state. Feds should just sit this one out
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies