Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 01:02 AM

475 posts, read 508,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
U.S. ban sought on cell phone use while driving - TODAY News - TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47197722/ns/us_news/ - broken link)

I am really not much of a cell phone user but every now and then I will answer a call while driving even though it is flat illegal in my state (WA). I've never found it to be dangerous. I have no problem keeping my focus driving while talking.

The biggest hazard I see on the roads are a) unsafe lane changes; b) slow drivers, which create an obstacle and constant stream of people trying to get around them, an obvious accident waiting to happen. Neither of which, of course are ever targeted by law enforcement.

This is all about rent-seeking, writing tickets, and grabbing cash. Yet another reason to give Pres. Obama the boot on Nov 6, 2012.
You see nothing dangerous about being on your phone while driving ? wow ! People like you are the reason a lot of people get hit by stupid drivers who think being on the phone isnt dangerous.
Another reason why Obama is getting my vote on Nov 6. This needs to be ban in the whole world. You want to kill yourself, great, go ahead and do it, but dont kill someone else because your stupidity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're being obtuse.

People talking on cell phones who are behind the wheel are not paying attention to the road.

Look at how people who are in the stores act while talking on a cell phone, they don't look where they're going, they stop and block the aisles because they're so involved in their phone call.

They do the same when they drive.

Their phone call is their primary concern when it should be driving.
Completely agree with you. People dont pay attention to the road while they are on their phones. I almost got hit once by a girl who was texting and didnt know i was crossing the street.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
I agree 100% with a total cell phone ban while driving. 100%. People are dying. It is just as dangerous as DWI.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:24 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
So do you favor a law against cell phone use in stores, parks etc.? Many a time I have been jogging and had near misses as cell users veered into my path. I could have pulled a groin or strained an achilles. An accident is an accident.
Learn the difference between an accident and stupid behavior that is destined to cause injury or death.

An accident: cars are driving along a highway at 70 mph when all of a sudden they hit a dense fog that comes out of nowwhere, and it causes a crash, that's an accident.

Stupid behavior: talking/texting on the cell phone and therefore causing a crash that injures or kills someone.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:12 AM

3,335 posts, read 2,661,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Learn the difference between an accident and stupid behavior that is destined to cause injury or death.

An accident: cars are driving along a highway at 70 mph when all of a sudden they hit a dense fog that comes out of nowwhere, and it causes a crash, that's an accident.

Stupid behavior: talking/texting on the cell phone and therefore causing a crash that injures or kills someone.
Great and accurate assessment !! FINALLY, this BAN against cell phone use while driving is 10 years PAST DUE....and thousands of deaths and injuries ...so un-called for.

Pass this LAW.

Old 04-27-2012, 03:29 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Although I don't like driving and talking on the cellphone, I'd be a hypocrite to say if I didn't do it myself... and what I think is going to happen is everyone will get a ticket except those that are "connected" or pretty girls...
It's been illegal here (CA) for years now, and I've never gotten a cell phone ticket... sure, I've done it a few times since the law was enacted, but that's a VERY rare and quick occurrence. I drive a manual, so (at least on surface roads) it's never been do-able for me anyway! Just get yourself a hands-free device, or avoid using the phone altogether, and there's no reason you'll get a ticket. Speaking of which, I really need to get a new bluetooth - as my old Jawbone hasn't worked in ages.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
More like continuing the war on freedom. Yes talking on a cell phone is distracting, but not more so than talking to your passenger. When you see the amount of people eating, smoking, drinking, reaching back to beat their children, reading newspapers, using laptops and applying makeup on the roads you have to wonder why they care about cell phones so much. It's because its easy to catch, easy to prove and a lot of people do it, so that translates into making money, the true function of the modern government.
People are reading and using their laptops while driving? How is that even possible? I imagine things like that are illegal too, if not they most certainly should be! I mean, whatever happened to simply DRIVING and maybe listening to some tunes on the radio? I drive almost 90mi/day for my commute, and actually enjoy being "disconnected" for that period of time... sad how some people can't handle going like 5 minutes without visual entertainment.

Last edited by gizmo980; 04-27-2012 at 04:49 AM..

Old 04-27-2012, 04:48 AM

Any call/text message can wait until you get to your destination.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:55 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,203,858 times
Quote:
U.S. ban sought on cell phone use while driving - TODAY News - TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47197722/ns/us_news/ - broken link)

I am really not much of a cell phone user but every now and then I will answer a call while driving even though it is flat illegal in my state (WA). I've never found it to be dangerous. I have no problem keeping my focus driving while talking.

The biggest hazard I see on the roads are a) unsafe lane changes; b) slow drivers, which create an obstacle and constant stream of people trying to get around them, an obvious accident waiting to happen. Neither of which, of course are ever targeted by law enforcement.

This is all about rent-seeking, writing tickets, and grabbing cash. Yet another reason to give Pres. Obama the boot on Nov 6, 2012.

not a federal issue, as it does not involve interstate commerce. this is not a federal issue unless they are only talking about federal employees driving vehicles driven by those same federal employees.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you deny that productivity will decrease when people are forbidden from conducting business by phone in their vehicles?
Yes. People were "productive" long before cell phones existed, and didn't feel the need to conduct business from their cars... I don't know how old you are, but I certainly remember those times! I also remember a time before email/internet, and businesses still managed to get their work done somehow.

P.S. Ever heard of a hands-free device? If you're so desperate to work from the car, you can always use one of those - or pull over for a minute to make that ever-so-important call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies