Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 08:36 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,364,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
Not to mention the lost income liquor companies are suffering from silly DWI laws.

Hows about a stiff fine for comparing apples to oranges? Or would that be an ADA violation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamatom View Post
Serious?

Conservatism: the Onion can't make this stuff up.
The Onion has wit and intellect. Wingnuts? Not so much.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:39 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,939,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ray LaHood, Transportation Sec'y, was a long serving Republican Congressman before he retired and returned to work under an Obama administration. And he was a Bush supporter who always voted with the other wingnuts, and loved himself some Iraq war. Miss that part wingnuts?

Republicans and their damn, silly laws......
He's Obama's thug now, own him and his policies.

What was LaHood's son doing over in Egypt anyway and how much did the US taxpayer have to pay in ransom to save his backside?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:44 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
U.S. ban sought on cell phone use while driving - TODAY News - TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47197722/ns/us_news/ - broken link)

I am really not much of a cell phone user but every now and then I will answer a call while driving even though it is flat illegal in my state (WA). I've never found it to be dangerous. I have no problem keeping my focus driving while talking.

The biggest hazard I see on the roads are a) unsafe lane changes; b) slow drivers, which create an obstacle and constant stream of people trying to get around them, an obvious accident waiting to happen. Neither of which, of course are ever targeted by law enforcement.

This is all about rent-seeking, writing tickets, and grabbing cash. Yet another reason to give Pres. Obama the boot on Nov 6, 2012.
Are you kidding? Who do you think is making most of the unsafe lane changes, slowing down for no reason, etc....the cell phone users and the ones who text.

Because their focus is not on driving.

I had a car in front of me that kept slamming on the brakes for no reason on a road that has a speed limit of 45mph. There was no one in front of her.

I got around her and it was a young woman who was staring down texting, and I guess she thought by braking every once in awhile it would keep from running into someone as her eyes were glued to her phone.

It needs to be banned.

It was banned in Germany and the reason was "eyes on the road and hands on the wheel".

It's amazing how people drove for years without cell phones.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:45 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Do you deny that productivity will decrease when people are forbidden from conducting business by phone in their vehicles?
They could always pull over.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:48 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Are you kidding? Who do you think is making most of the unsafe lane changes, slowing down for no reason, etc....the cell phone users and the ones who text.

I had a car in front of me that kept slamming on the brakes for no reason on a road that has a speed limit of 45mph. There was no one in front of her.

I got around her and it was a young woman who was staring down texting, and I guess she thought by braking every once in awhile it would keep from running into someone as her eyes were glued to her phone.

It needs to be banned.

It was banned in Germany and the reason was "eyes on the road and hands on the wheel".

Would you ban GPS systems and talking to passengers under the same pretense?

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

9,848 posts, read 8,283,089 times
Democrats won't stop till they tax you on both the inhale and the exhale. Boot them ALL out.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:49 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

It needs to be banned.

I agree! I have had so many misses with people swerving in my lane because they are talking or texting. I worry about the kids walking to school as this is usually 6:30 am and still somewhat dark and at that time it is more middle age people than the young kids.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:52 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
They could always pull over.
You can't always pull over. Plus, pulling to the side of the road and sitting there is also dangerous, probably more so than talking on a cell phone.

Old 04-26-2012, 08:54 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
U.S. ban sought on cell phone use while driving - TODAY News - TODAY.com (http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/47197722/ns/us_news/ - broken link)

I am really not much of a cell phone user but every now and then I will answer a call while driving even though it is flat illegal in my state (WA). I've never found it to be dangerous. I have no problem keeping my focus driving while talking.

The biggest hazard I see on the roads are a) unsafe lane changes; b) slow drivers, which create an obstacle and constant stream of people trying to get around them, an obvious accident waiting to happen. Neither of which, of course are ever targeted by law enforcement.

This is all about rent-seeking, writing tickets, and grabbing cash. Yet another reason to give Pres. Obama the boot on Nov 6, 2012.
I don't mind if people are using their cell phones while driving...as long as they are headed into a brick wall or off a cliff as opposed to me or mine.

Drivers on Cell Phones Kill Thousands, Snarl Traffic | LiveScience
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies