Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:39 PM

2,490 posts, read 2,546,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Would you ban GPS systems and talking to passengers under the same pretense?
Do either of those require the use of your eyes and/or hands?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 10:48 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,992,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
No cell phones on the train? No cell phones as a passenger? That will go over real well.

This was a problem I forgot about. Most GPS systems are accirate to about +- 10 feet, some are good to a few inches. Computers could screen the calls and identify those due to routes of cars and the different routes of trains or aircraft. The only problem would be vehicles like buses or trams that can share the same roads as cars. Now the biggest danger is distracted driving on major roads or expressways where the speeds probably exceed 50 miles per hour. Collisions at these speeds are more lokely to cause death or major trauma. So this form of law enforcement might be restricted to such roads.
So if you are texting while on a road like I-270 near Washington DC, you would get a ticket wheras doing it on Wisconsin Ave that runs prarllel to I-270 you might get a pass.

Old 04-26-2012, 10:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,645,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
You look at a person while you talk to them on a cell phone?
You're being obtuse.

People talking on cell phones who are behind the wheel are not paying attention to the road.

Look at how people who are in the stores act while talking on a cell phone, they don't look where they're going, they stop and block the aisles because they're so involved in their phone call.

They do the same when they drive.

Their phone call is their primary concern when it should be driving.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:13 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
You're being obtuse.

People talking on cell phones who are behind the wheel are not paying attention to the road.

Look at how people who are in the stores act while talking on a cell phone, they don't look where they're going, they stop and block the aisles because they're so involved in their phone call.

They do the same when they drive.

Their phone call is their primary concern when it should be driving.
So do you favor a law against cell phone use in stores, parks etc.? Many a time I have been jogging and had near misses as cell users veered into my path. I could have pulled a groin or strained an achilles. An accident is an accident.

Old 04-26-2012, 11:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,455,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's continued war on business. Now he's attempting to force decreased productivity for those who work from within their vehicles.
What else are you going to argue for - that red lights are anti-business government red tape since they slow business people down from getting to their destinations?

When a distracted multi-tasker behind the wheel puts one of your family members in a morgue, let's see what you have to say then...

Old 04-27-2012, 12:18 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What else are you going to argue for - that red lights are anti-business government red tape since they slow business people down from getting to their destinations?

When a distracted multi-tasker behind the wheel puts one of your family members in a morgue, let's see what you have to say then...
I have to agree with you

Since they are not on the road by themselves and are a danger to other motorists, this is why it should be illegal

Old 04-27-2012, 12:21 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
what should be common sense for everybody has to be a mandate from the whitehouse.

what would stupid people do without their nanny government?

Old 04-27-2012, 12:31 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
When talking about something serious, I'd rather not be talking to someone who probably can't be fully involved in the conversation while trying to drive and keep on the road at the same time.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:36 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Obama's continued war on business. Now he's attempting to force decreased productivity for those who work from within their vehicles.
Please supply proof productivity has acyually increased since the advent of cell-phones.

Old 04-27-2012, 12:53 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You hit the nail on the head. People who've never ran a lemonade stand, much less a bona fide business, would never understand your point. See the posts above this one for your proof. They stand out like a sore thumb.
I have a friend in a wheel chair for NO other reason than some dickwad who was allegedly being more productive but just couldn't be bothered to see someone before running them down. I guess there's many who will NEVER see the point that human lives may actually be worth more than putting a few more $$$ on the bottom line, oddly enough many of the same people who feign such concern for masses of dividing cells.

DAMN HYPOCRITES!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies