Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Is it OK when you use the term "disconnect from history" to replace it with "disregard of revision"??
I have no idea of what you are attempting to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
To say so shows a basic misunderstanding of analogies.
I guess you and your prof, never heard of read of the term false analogy.

Take another analogy that is often used by gay liberals who compare their cause to the cause of black civil rights in the 50's & 60's. There are some major differences. For example gays were not brought to America in chains as slaves.[/quote]

Once again, it isn't I who fail to understand analogies or at least correct ones. The Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's wasn't about "being brought to America in chains" that issue was resolved by the Civil War, and the passage of the 13th Amendment. The Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's was about non-discriminatory practices and social ostracism. Frankly the gay and lesbian movement for non-discrimination and social ostracism is pretty much spot on when they compare the aspirations of the civil rights movement and the movement of gays and lesbians.

Old 05-07-2012, 04:49 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I have no idea of what you are attempting to say.
That he ain't cotton to your fancy book learnin' college boy...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:14 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto
The Civil Rights movement of the 50's and 60's wasn't about "being brought to America in chains"
But I didn't say that it was. However the black civil rights movement obviously traces back to the history of slavery. The point is just that there were major differences between the gay and black civil rights movement, but in spite of that, the analogy still works. It's far from perfect, but that doesn't mean that those who buy into it are clueless.

Similarly the plantation analogy used by black conservatives is not perfect, but nonetheless works. In both cases you've got an effort by white overlords to corral masses of blacks into a particular space, one physical and the other ideological. If someone tries to leave the ideological plantation they are not whipped. So yeah, the analogy is imperfect. But they are subject to harassment, being called 'Uncle Tom' (as seen in this very thread), 'oreo' etc.

Old 05-07-2012, 05:24 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
But I didn't say that it was. However the black civil rights movement obviously traces back to the history of slavery. The point is just that there were major differences between the gay and black civil rights movement, but in spite of that, the analogy still works. It's far from perfect, but that doesn't mean that those who buy into it are clueless.

Similarly the plantation analogy used by black conservatives is not perfect, but nonetheless works. In both cases you've got an effort by white overlords to corral masses of blacks into a particular space, one physical and the other ideological. If someone tries to leave the ideological plantation they are not whipped. So yeah, the analogy is imperfect. But they are subject to harassment, being called 'Uncle Tom' (as seen in this very thread), 'oreo' etc.
The plantation analogy does not work b/c it hangs on the ridiculously stupid assertion that most Blacks only vote Democrat to keep welfare going. The stupidity of that idea is only possible from someone that has no idea how Black Americans think. It's doubly offensive when another Black says it b/c it shows that despite being Black yourself, you have no idea how other Blacks think.

To point out how stupid that analogy is, would you say Evangelicals are on a plantation, since they've been systematically targeted to vote Republican?

Old 05-07-2012, 06:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,366,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
The plantation analogy does not work b/c it hangs on the ridiculously stupid assertion that most Blacks only vote Democrat to keep welfare going. The stupidity of that idea is only possible from someone that has no idea how Black Americans think. It's doubly offensive when another Black says it b/c it shows that despite being Black yourself, you have no idea how other Blacks think.

To point out how stupid that analogy is, would you say Evangelicals are on a plantation, since they've been systematically targeted to vote Republican?
In the first place, I don't think the analogy "hangs on the ridiculously stupid assertion that most Blacks only vote Democrat to keep welfare going." In fact I'd say it's possible to construct this analogy without even making reference to welfare.

It wouldn't make since to use that analogy on Evangelicals since they were never in their history forced to work on plantations. But if a liberal evangelical wanted to use an anology of evangelicals being led into a 'Republican heresy,' for example, I could see making that analogy.

In the second place it seems problematic to suggest that there is a particular way "how Black Americans think." Not only would it be stupid, but I would take offense if somebody suggested to me that there was some 'white way of thinking.'

Old 05-07-2012, 06:11 PM

2,548 posts, read 2,164,379 times
Quote:
In the first place, I don't think the analogy "hangs on the ridiculously stupid assertion that most Blacks only vote Democrat to keep welfare going." In fact I'd say it's possible to construct this analogy without even making reference to welfare.

It wouldn't make since to use that analogy on Evangelicals since they were never in their history forced to work on plantations. But if a liberal evangelical wanted to use an anology of evangelicals being led into a 'Republican heresy,' for example, I could see making that analogy.

In the second place it seems problematic to suggest that there is a particular way "how Black Americans think." Not only would it be stupid, but I would take offense if somebody suggested to me that there was some 'white way of thinking.'
someone on here just said that almost all Black voters have no interest in jobs and only want welfare. Care to comment on that or will you ignore in your usual non partisan way?????

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that we haven't read the same kinds of books about slavery. While I would have been very much against slavery in 1860, just as I am now, it really bothers me to see people using stories about abuse like that one link and never really want to discuss how people treat their animals.

When I was teaching I used to push kids into going wild about whipping and beating and always use the same analogy to make them think, just a bit. Since they were always mostly farm kids and their fathers bred cattle with prize bulls I liked to liken how they treated their bulls to how slave breeders did the same thing. They always agreed that their daddies didn't take 2 x 4s to their prize bulls, ever I had to ask them if doing the same to a prize breeder would be at least as stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Yes, some slaves were beaten badly but who would be so stupid as to beat a prime field hand worth very near $1500 on the auction block. Yep, some overseers were pretty bad but I doubt that it was a normal thing all through the slave territories. NOw and then they had to make an example, like cutting off the front part of a foot on a runner, but people use examples in businesses to keep their workers under control.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:27 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
Quote:
Analogies don't have complete one-to-one correspondence. As a prof of mine used to say, 'all analogies walk with a limp.' The fact that black conservatives are not being whipped does not invalidate the analogy. To say so shows a basic misunderstanding of analogies.

Take another analogy that is often used by gay liberals who compare their cause to the cause of black civil rights in the 50's & 60's. There are some major differences. For example gays were not brought to America in chains as slaves. But does this mean that those who use the analogy are 'self-righteous,' 'clueless' etc? Not really, there are enough similarites there to make it a worthwhile analogy, at least in my opinion (doubtless many conservatives will disagree).
lol. Circular reasoning.You need to get your tuition back from that prof. if this is what you think is a logical analogy.

smh.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times
When I was teaching I used to push kids into going wild about whipping and beating and always use the same analogy to make them think, just a bit. Since they were always mostly farm kids and their fathers bred cattle with prize bulls I liked to liken how they treated their bulls to how slave breeders did the same thing. They always agreed that their daddies didn't take 2 x 4s to their prize bulls, ever I had to ask them if doing the same to a prize breeder would be at least as stupid
~~~~~ quote from roysoldboy

another gem.
wow. Roy didnt you teach little first graders?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies