Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Religious tax exemptions cost U.S. $71.1 billion, report says

Since everyone knows that all religion is big business, shouldn't all churches and religious institutions be taxed?
Government spending is so far out of control, it's high time to hold them accountable to the people they are supposed to be serving. Quit trying to think up ways to give them even more money.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:27 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Religious institutions are also the bulk of soup kitchens, big brother/sister programs, orphanages, and outreach programs.

Even the friendly athiest posts this:

I'm tired of hearing how the rich and religious are costing this country, from people who are raping this country and only want more. Our government is costing us 1.2T a year. They spend $120M to find $20M in welfare fraud. We are being screwed both ways, and you post how religion is "costing this country"

Welcome to OZ scarecrow.

Yes, those are the people screaming for more money. The one's I'm writting a check to right this very minute to cover my payroll tax. The tax that will pay for some shlep to advance his pi$$ in a bottle art, or some cowboy music festival wannabe, or to study the alcoholism rate of Chinese prostitutes. The people who take everything yet contribute nothing, or politicians on spending binges, are the ones screaming the loudest about how much THEY ARE LOSING.
[MOD CUT]
Don't forget that we allow the church to get involved in politicizing, campaigning, spreading hatred of gays/women, actual rape/pedophilia, etc., trying to impose their questionable "morals" into our laws.

If you're so concerned about the cost of fraud, then I'd think you'd welcome the income that would be generated from churches to invisible sky-daddies.

Tax the church.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-18-2012 at 05:22 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-18-2012, 01:33 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,209,414 times
Governments instituted to secure rights have no delegation of power to tax rights.
Governments have power to tax privileges it grants.
Do religions exercise a government granted privilege?
No.
Tax exempt, by definition.

You may question your public servants how your rights to life, to work, to earn, to own, etc, have transformed from tax exempt rights to revenue taxable privileges.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
On a recent trip through the deep south,Ala,Miss. La. the wife and i were astounded at how many small churches there were ,you could hardly drive a mile without seeing 2 or 3 of these small churches, we came to the conclusion that it probably had something to do with the tax exempt status of churches and people were just using a small building on their property as a church to get out of paying taxes.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:38 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,165,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
[MOD CUT]
Don't forget that we allow the church to get involved in politicizing, campaigning, spreading hatred of gays/women, actual rape/pedophilia, etc., trying to impose their questionable "morals" into our laws.

If you're so concerned about the cost of fraud, then I'd think you'd welcome the income that would be generated from churches to invisible sky-daddies.

Tax the church.
If God was completely taken out of the world we would be in hell.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-18-2012 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: edited quoted post

Old 06-18-2012, 06:47 AM

3,457 posts, read 4,654,717 times
I love how liberals want to keep the church out of government but want to the government in the churches. Right in line with their typical hypocrisy.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
If God was completely taken out of the world we would be in hell.
You cannot take something that does not exist out of the world.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:00 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I suggerst the religious portions of church property such as the chapel, the rectory and the community hall be exempt from taxation. All the rest of the church's business related activites should be taxed the same as any other business. Exempt what is in the Realm of God and tax what is in the Realm of Mammon.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:15 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Religious tax exemptions cost U.S. $71.1 billion, report says

Since everyone knows that all religion is big business, shouldn't all churches and religious institutions be taxed?
gee, can we think of any other ways to get a few extra tax money? I wonder if all those who want to tax religion and charities have any idea how much is given to help those in need? What about the food banks churches run, the thrift shops and what about the church dsicrisionary funds that many have to help people in need pay doctors bills, untilities etc?

Nita

Old 06-18-2012, 07:43 AM

33,548 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
gee, can we think of any other ways to get a few extra tax money? I wonder if all those who want to tax religion and charities have any idea how much is given to help those in need? What about the food banks churches run, the thrift shops and what about the church dsicrisionary funds that many have to help people in need pay doctors bills, untilities etc?

Nita
All charities are already tax exempt, so a fair tax paid by churches would have no effect on them...I say they should pay property tax just like all other businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies