Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,877,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Religious tax exemptions cost U.S. $71.1 billion, report says

Since everyone knows that all religion is big business, shouldn't all churches and religious institutions be taxed?
First unreported income accordig to governaqmnt is 300 billion loss. The I think that mean churches can egt feral dollars as the speartio of church and stqate works both ways like other non-profits.Then I'd have to say that much of the money goes to mnay chartable works ,I really thinik without chruch groups my area would ahve suffered alot more after hurricane Rita, The governamnt is not equipped and eve the Red Crosss could match what they did , Between corporatio like wal-mart;lowes ;HEB they provide more assitance to people with feedig them;clothing them;provide children with clothes and school materials than nayhtig the goverant did or other organizr tion. mnay pof governamnt supports were only possible because fo massive help form church volunteers. It didn't stop for five year as church groups seen yoputh and older groups to help those i need of repairs to housing contiously.They were lodge at various church often of not even the same denomination.I think perhaps there is not a chnace i hell fo c gettig a constitutional amendment allowing taxation of Churches especially for 75 billion compared to what we gain;IMO. But the you would alos have to tax other non-profits which just make it hard. I guess you think all non-profits are big business or your just anther anti-religious nutwing;IMO.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:13 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I don't want your religious perspective to the public square.
If you choose to do that, pay for the privilege.
Churches do not benefit me in any way, but thanks for your opinion.

Is this still the 1700 & 1800s?

Our tax dollars paid for a megachurch in LA to have one of the largest pipe organs in the world.
The World's Largest Pipe Organs

Tax the church. Period.

Every church.
No proof of a god thing so it's all rainbows and fairies.
Your posts rarely make any sense. You are way out of the mainstream of society. You don't believe in much of anything but still come to the religion threads to put it all down and nothing else. Not much contribution at all, just get rid of it and don't do anything. That would be easy to post---get rid of it. That about sums up all you have to say. Shrug. Why even bother?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And, once again if churches are taxed then, to be fair, all non-profits should be taxed. That's United Way, Red Cross, Scouting, the YMCA, Boy's and Girl's Clubs, the Masons, the American Legion and VFW, the Naval Academy, West Point, the Air Force Academy, Courthouses various musuems and on and on. How much money, in the aggregate, do those organizations "cost" the government at whatever level.
They never think of that. Tax one then tax all non-profits.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Churches range from money making schemes (scientology comes to mind) to ones that provide many social services. There are of course mainline churches that do little and some that do much. Inner city churches feeding homeless come to mind as ones that do much.

Our church gives many thousands of dollars to a home for former prostitutes and drug addicted women. We also send about 50 members each year to help fix houses in the inner city and like 20 a year fly to The Dominican Rep at their own expense to upgrade Dominicans' homes often being as simple as giving these people a concrete floor rather than a dirt one.

Methinks the bulk of the tax gripers on this thread are type 2 athiests.
type 1 athiest = simply does not believe in god and goes on their way in life. Good bad or indifferent.
type 2 athiest = atheism is their religion in a sense. They do not believe in god and want to rid the world of religion because "they are right and believers are idiots"
I never thought of that but when you think about it that is absolutely correct. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
You bet. Godless, and PROUD of it! Or as I like to call it, "a triple digit IQ, a respect for science, and a little common sense."

Go ahead. Keep hanging onto your 5000 year old 'science.' Each year that goes by, and each 'real' scientific discovery that is made, just makes you and yours look more and more delusional.

But, the real issue is how unamerican you are. Don't you beleive in the first ammendment to our Constitution?

My right to Freedom of speech?
You also have the freedom of education---get some. Many religious people are scientists. Many priests are at the forefront of scientific breakthroughs. Science and religion are not opposite to each other at all.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:52 PM

912 posts, read 1,332,202 times
How about we shrink the fat a** government down by a third and ,all of the wars including cutting military.Don't tax religious originazions .

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
7-11s actually do sometimes have jars for different causes.

Church is a form of business, however you want to deny it. It's sort of a magic show for people who never learned to think straight.

Tell that to Martin Luther King and all his followers. That would just be a start, you have many others to tell how stupid they are to be ministers and church goers. You have a big job ahead of you, don't you.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Good catch, that. So now we have Canadians weighing in on how the United States government should write the tax code vis-à-vis churches. I mean, I bet if I got on the Canadian boards and offered my opinion on how their government should operate, I'm guessing I wouldn't get a very polite response.
Regarding taxing churches Canada's rules are the same as yours, so are you just an anti Canadian?

Old 06-18-2012, 02:01 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,483,414 times
Church going people are the only group of Americans having enough children to maintain the population. Immigration is mainly neccessary to replace the depleting White Liberal population

Old 06-18-2012, 02:04 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
I'm a proud #1

So, why should I be forced to pay taxes to support your belief system?
But yet here you are advocating the use of violence (government force) to steal money from the productive class (government taxation).
That is one big a** blind spot in your logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies