Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Exempt their charitable operations (if they have any). Make them pay taxes on everything else.

We wouldn't let any other business get out of paying all taxes just because they happen to make the occasional charitable contribution.
Good point. The parishioner can get a tax deduction for making that "donation" to their local church. Guess that kind of puts a hole in the "the money has already been taxed" argument...
That makes zero sense, you realize. First, go to every single non-profit in the country, and you'll find that there's a significant portion of their operations that must exist to simply keep things going. And it would be a nightmare to determine where the line falls as to what is taxable and what is not.

Second, every contribution you make to every non-profit is tax-deductible. Duh.

Look, I get it. You don't care for religion. But that doesn't mean your hostility to faith-based organizations allows you to single them out for persecution, or to ignore the fundamentals of non-profit organizations everywhere.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good grief. The total assets of the American Red Cross are $3,861,000,000. http://www.redcross.org/www-files/Do...lStatement.pdf

They have investments as well to provide additional sources of revenue. Are you going after them, too?

I really wish you guys would take a basic accounting class before you start making all these goofy arguments.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Holding investments, isnt the same as being in business. They need places to park their money.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Churches range from money making schemes (scientology comes to mind) to ones that provide many social services. There are of course mainline churches that do little and some that do much. Inner city churches feeding homeless come to mind as ones that do much.

Our church gives many thousands of dollars to a home for former prostitutes and drug addicted women. We also send about 50 members each year to help fix houses in the inner city and like 20 a year fly to The Dominican Rep at their own expense to upgrade Dominicans' homes often being as simple as giving these people a concrete floor rather than a dirt one.

Methinks the bulk of the tax gripers on this thread are type 2 athiests.
type 1 athiest = simply does not believe in god and goes on their way in life. Good bad or indifferent.
type 2 athiest = atheism is their religion in a sense. They do not believe in god and want to rid the world of religion because "they are right and believers are idiots"
If atheism is a religion, should they also be tax exempt?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
If you start an atheism church, it is tax exempt. Its a non profit

Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Now you just said its a magic show for the dumb, now you are telling me it saves their soul. Make up your mind..
I don't believe what they believe, obviously.

Quote:
Furthermore, I've never once heard of a church link your soul saving to money donations. Can you provide me an example?
Johann Tetzel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-18-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Well, duh. If they formally incorporate and follow all the IRS rules, then they are just as tax-exempt as the Catholic, Baptist, or Methodist church down the street. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
With that amount of money, I bet they do need to "park it!" God forbid that they use it to build schools or feed the starving!
Or allow you to take it, right? Tell me jojajn, if you take it all and give it to government, how do you expect them to build schools or feed the starving next year, because thats why the investments exist..

You do realize that they do both of those things, right?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, duh. If they formally incorporate and follow all the IRS rules, then they are just as tax-exempt as the Catholic, Baptist, or Methodist church down the street. Why is this so hard for you to grasp?
I'm starting to think that an entry level business class should be mandatory in high school. Its impossible for me to believe that so many grown adults dont know this.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats weird, I know of numerous schools right in my own area run by the churches, and I also know a few people who go on church functions to places like Africa, and help feed the poor..

Are you telling me these people are lying to me and the schools dont exist?

You still dont get it do you? Its under the guise of NON PROFIT STATUS.. Like homeless shelters, and the Red Cross.

Do you think homeless shelters should be taxed? How about the Boys and Girls clubs? Why do you hate the poor jojajn? How about the sick, becuase most hospitals are tax exempt as well. Do you hate the sick also?
I totally agree. Churches do a lot of good in the community and are not in business to make a profit. Profits are what is taxed when you run a business. The money a business makes for those of you who are getting a free ride paid for by me. Gee it is sure funny the libs are not asking the same question about Planned Parenthood, Acorn, Unions, but always pick on churches.

Put it this way, I was poor. Flat broke actually. I went to a local church and got help and counseling I needed to find a job. I am employed now. Even looking into taking a few courses to improve my job skills. The help of my church saved me from going on food stamps, Medicaid, and looking to other taxpayer supported programs. Therefore, this church saved the taxpayers money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies