Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 08:58 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The money that the 7-11 down the street receives has already been taxed too. Since when is that an argument?
You donate money to your 7-11? Wow, you're generous.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,171,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
I'm a proud #1

So, why should I be forced to pay taxes to support your belief system?
Actually, you're not paying taxes at all for these organizations' existence, for they are not receiving tax dollars unless they're providing services in kind. But if we take your clumsy argument to heart, why should you be forced to pay taxes for any of these other things?

The Boy Scouts
The American Cancer Society
The Red Cross
The New York Philharmonic
The Sierra Club
Boys and Girls Clubs of America
Drum Corps International
The Urban League
United Cerebral Palsy
The American Civil Liberties Union

And the list goes on and on and on. All these organizations rake in literally millions of dollars through either contributions or the selling of goods and services, many of them provide services that are not universally enjoyed by all Americans, and none of these organizations are taxed. Which ones are getting the thumbs up? Which ones are getting the thumbs down? Because right now, your sole criterion is whether or not you agree with the organization's aims, a pretty arbitrary thing right there.

What's more, you evidently don't understand the first thing about either taxation or profit and loss. A corporation is taxed solely on profits, what it clears after it has paid all its expenses. A non-profit, whether it is a church or something else, typically has nothing left over after all expenses are paid. And, if there is a surplus, that money goes into a tax-sheltered trust or foundation as safeguard against future shortfalls or unanticipated crises. And are you prepared to deal with the social costs that will inevitably arise when those organizations go away?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:05 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The money they receive isn't donated to them it is money earned in the course of business.

Tell me, do they have a jar next to the register to collect change to help the needy like the one near me has? would you like to see THOSE donations taxed also?
7-11s actually do sometimes have jars for different causes.

Church is a form of business, however you want to deny it. It's sort of a magic show for people who never learned to think straight.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:06 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You donate money to your 7-11? Wow, you're generous.
Yeah, and I get a slurpee from 7-11. Someone else donates to a church and gets their soul saved for money. Bull**** all the way around.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
7-11s actually do sometimes have jars for different causes.
And you think they should tax that money?
Quote:
Church is a form of business, however you want to deny it. It's sort of a magic show for people who never learned to think straight.
Yes, they are businesses, non profitable ones.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:08 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Exempt their charitable operations (if they have any). Make them pay taxes on everything else.

We wouldn't let any other business get out of paying all taxes just because they happen to make the occasional charitable contribution.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The money they receive isn't donated to them it is money earned in the course of business.
Good point. The parishioner can get a tax deduction for making that "donation" to their local church. Guess that kind of puts a hole in the "the money has already been taxed" argument...

Old 06-18-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Yeah, and I get a slurpee from 7-11.
But if you get a slurpie, its not a donation, is it?
Quote:
Someone else donates to a church and gets their soul saved for money. Bull**** all the way around.
Now you just said its a magic show for the dumb, now you are telling me it saves their soul. Make up your mind..

Furthermore, I've never once heard of a church link your soul saving to money donations. Can you provide me an example?

Old 06-18-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
We wouldn't let any other business get out of paying all taxes just because they happen to make the occasional charitable contribution.
Yes we do.. All businesses deduct their charitable contributions from their tax returns.

http://www.bbb.org/us/Charity-Tax-Deductions/

Old 06-18-2012, 09:13 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,597,924 times
>I'm a proud #1

Guess again.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:20 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,825,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
All charities are already tax exempt, so a fair tax paid by churches would have no effect on them...I say they should pay property tax just like all other businesses.
Especially since many churches are in business.

Quote:
"The Vatican has large investments with the Rothschilds of Britain, France and America, with the Hambros Bank, with the Credit Suisse in London and Zurich. In the United States it has large investments with the Morgan Bank, the Chase-Manhattan Bank, the First National Bank of New York, the Bankers Trust Company, and others. The Vatican has billions of shares in the most powerful international corporations such as Gulf Oil, Shell, General Motors, Bethlehem Steel, General Electric, International Business Machines, T.W.A., etc. At a conservative estimate, these amount to more than 500 million dollars in the U.S.A. alone.
Quote:
"In a statement published in connection with a bond prospectus, the Boston archdiocese listed its assets at Six Hundred and Thirty-five Million ($635,891,004), which is 9.9 times its liabilities. This leaves a net worth of Five Hundred and Seventy-one million dollars ($571,704,953). It is not difficult to discover the truly astonishing wealth of the church, once we add the riches of the twenty-eight archdioceses and 122 dioceses of the U.S.A., some of which are even wealthier than that of Boston.
'The Catholic church, must be the biggest corporation in the United States.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies