Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2012, 02:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,153,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
From Merriam-Webster

hill·bil·ly noun \ˈhil-ˌbi-lē\
plural hill·bil·lies

Definition of HILLBILLY

: a person from a backwoods area

See hillbilly defined for English-language learners »
See hillbilly defined for kids »
Examples of HILLBILLY

Other kids called her a hillbilly because of her accent and her simple clothes.
<in the skit, he was a shy hillbilly in love with a city girl>
Origin of HILLBILLY

1hill + Billy, nickname for William
First Known Use: 1891

hill·bil·ly
noun /ˈhilˌbilē/ 
hillbillies, plural

derogatory. An unsophisticated country person, associated originally with the remote regions of the Appalachians

Web definitions

a disparaging term for an unsophisticated person
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

Hillbilly is a term referring to people who dwell in rural, mountainous areas of the United States, primarily Appalachia. Due to its strongly stereotypical connotations, the term is frequently considered derogatory, and so is usually offensive to those Americans of Appalachian heritage. ...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillbilly

Someone who is from the hills; especially from a rural area, with a connotation of a lack of refinement or sophistication; A white person from the rural southern part of the United States
en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hillbilly

these days, the word is seen as disparaging and displays the naivete of the speaker. It was used quite a lot in past years, usually referring to country or old-timey music.
www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/traditional-music/ency/h3.htm

(U.S.) a rural white person, esp. one from Appalachia or the Ozarks.
www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/List-of-regional-nickname…

Is a term for the people who live in the mountains, the mountains are the hills and Bill is a common name there.
www.razzlebamboom.com/cds/glossary.htm

(Hillbilly characters) A category of stock design matchcovers whose back contained "five laugh-provoking subjects" of Hillbilly Humor. The artist was Martin Garrity, who was published first by the Chicago Match Co. in 1948, and then by a number of match book companies later on. ...
www.matchcovers.com/glossary_H.htm

A style of popular song derived from the rural, southern folk tradition and from sentimental songs of the late nineteenth century. It represents a merging of rural and urban influences and a regional, ethnic music made popular nationally and successful commercially.
highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/0073401412/student_view0/glos…
Is a person a hillbilly if they think abortion started in 1973?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 02:18 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I would say no, as I think that's an insult to all hillbillies. I have rural southern Illinois hillbilly relatives and they definitely aren't stupid. Only an absolute, brainwashed idiot would think that abortion started in 1973.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM

202 posts, read 350,582 times
Quote:
*LOL* I proved that there are multiple, accepted definitions of the word. Boy, you anti-choice people have some really logic problems. I probably shouldn't laugh about it, but otherwise I'd cry.
You also proved it was originally in reference to mountain dwellers. Why would you call you someone a hillbilly if they did not reside in the hills or mountains? Seems a bit odd to me.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:38 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
*LOL* I proved that there are multiple, accepted definitions of the word. Boy, you anti-choice people have some really logic problems. I probably shouldn't laugh about it, but otherwise I'd cry.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
You also proved it was originally in reference to mountain dwellers.
The point was to show you that there are multiple accepted definitions. Did you think that I was trying to prove to you that "mountain dweller" isn't one of those accepted definitions? Why when some of the definitions clearly state that "mountain dweller" is one of those accepted definitions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Why would you call you someone a hillbilly if they did not reside in the hills or mountains? Seems a bit odd to me.
Language changes, hence why there are denotative and connotative meanings of words, for example.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I would say no, as I think that's an insult to all hillbillies. I have rural southern Illinois hillbilly relatives and they definitely aren't stupid. Only an absolute, brainwashed idiot would think that abortion started in 1973.
My apologies to hillbillies!

Old 07-03-2012, 03:42 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,146,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
I wasn't going to address this, but since you have now chosen to refer to it again, might as well: I didn't say that. I said that I knew that there were back ally abortions. Try reading the post before you comment on it. Maybe take a reading comprehension class, might help.... then again you can't fix stupid.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:48 PM

202 posts, read 350,582 times
Quote:
The point was to show you that there are multiple accepted definitions. Did you think that I was trying to prove to you that "mountain dweller" isn't one of those accepted definitions? Why when some of the definitions clearly state that "mountain dweller" is one of those accepted definitions?

Language changes, hence why there are denotative and connotative meanings of words, for example.
Language usually changes when enough people incorrectly use words. I won't deny some people now use hillbilly to describe rural folk, however, that wasn't the original intent. I've never heard anyone use hillbilly to describe a person not from the mountains.

Either way, I've seen hillbilly, redneck, backwater, etc. thrown around by folks here. I don't mind arguing with y'all, and I don't mind that people have different opinions regarding abortion. However, I don't get why y'all use these derogatory terms to describe people from Mississippi and people with different opinions, simply because you do not agree with them.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:49 PM

18,391 posts, read 19,023,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personwhoisaperson View Post
Because there is this little voice called a conscience inside all of us. Our conscience tells us it is wrong. But if we can manage to gag that little voice we can do what we want without that remorse thing I was talking about. If the woman in question feels no remorse for killing another human being she is a sociopath. Then again if she has been taught that a "fetus" is not really a human being, then she was being taught by a sociopath, because somewhere along the line there was someone who knew that a "fetus" was a human being, but taught otherwise anyway and then it was just passed on from there. So again, our culture is creating sociopaths.
a fetus that can not live outside the womb is not the same thing as a living breathing human being. like it or not women have the right, just as a man to control their own bodies. if they do not want to be pregnant they don't have to be. doesn't matter what you or I may think of their choice, the choice is theirs alone. just because the choice doesn't fit your moral value does not make the woman a sociopath.

Before Roe v. Wade women who got pregnant carried children, today women carry children. It is the natural thing to do. It is the natural consequence of sex. So it's not forcing a woman to carry the child, it is forcing a woman to make more choices i.e. keep the child or adoption. It worked fine before 01-22-73. Did women die from back alley abortions? Absolutely, and it is very sad. Death was the consequence of their selfishness. It is all of our business because it is a law that never should have been passed. This is reality: All actions have consequences. Society has made it okay for us to try to get around them unless they are positive. That is wrong.
you do need an education about abortion and when it started. roe v wade only made abortion safe it did not start abortion. women who died from back alley abortions did not die from being selfish, they died from being desperate. the law saves lives. the law is about privacy. again it is not your business what a woman does with her body.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Because there is this little voice called a conscience inside all of us. Our conscience tells us it is wrong. But if we can manage to gag that little voice we can do what we want without that remorse thing I was talking about. If the woman in question feels no remorse for killing another human being she is a sociopath. Then again if she has been taught that a "fetus" is not really a human being, then she was being taught by a sociopath, because somewhere along the line there was someone who knew that a "fetus" was a human being, but taught otherwise anyway and then it was just passed on from there. So again, our culture is creating sociopaths.

Before Roe v. Wade women who got pregnant carried children, today women carry children. It is the natural thing to do. It is the natural consequence of sex. So it's not forcing a woman to carry the child, it is forcing a woman to make more choices i.e. keep the child or adoption. It worked fine before 01-22-73. Did women die from back alley abortions? Absolutely, and it is very sad. Death was the consequence of their selfishness. It is all of our business because it is a law that never should have been passed. This is reality: All actions have consequences. Society has made it okay for us to try to get around them unless they are positive. That is wrong.
Quote:
I wasn't going to address this, but since you have now chosen to refer to it again, might as well: I didn't say that. I said that I knew that there were back ally abortions. Try reading the post before you comment on it. Maybe take a reading comprehension class, might help.... then again you can't fix stupid.
Yup, you did post that....you also posted other things and when challenged you cherry pick and won't address your errors.

AND since you seem just fine and dandy with women being PUNISHED with DEATH for having an abortion your FAKE concern with "life" is just that, FAKE.

Since you like playing amateur psychologist, I'll play, too....pompous, self-righteousness is a mental illness.

Last edited by Who?Me?!; 07-03-2012 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-03-2012, 04:18 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,229,363 times
The majority of Conservatives are pompous, self-righteous sycophants and bigots who want to force their views onto everyone else and who label anyone who doesn't agree with them as un-American or some other lowly term just to get a rise out of them.

Shame that their merits, what little of it that they have, are weak and shallow.

Getting back on topic - Abortion =/= murder. The woman has the right to choose and not you, Person, nor anyone else has any right to tell them otherwise. Or would you be open to letting me tell you what to do with your body?

Didn't think so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies