Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:26 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times

Advertisements

Number 8 for the weekend, not to shabby for a documentary. Though in all fairness, this was not a great labor day for film watching. . I mean Lawless? Possession ? There is a reason the movie revenue was down 3% from last year.

Still you can't really take away from its "surprise success" that seems to be accurate reporting. Yet, Fox news is pretty popular as well. I wouldn't think such a "preaching to a choir" sermon will have any meaningful effect. Lets see if there is a drop-off in revenues (i.e. a niche filled) OR if it can go more mainstream past the foxnewsites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 08:29 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,847,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
It was denounced by the Catholic church and now the term is a communist term -Social Justice and Spread the wealth around. Communist roots.
Many Christians stopped listening to the Pope hundreds of years ago.

There are many followers of Liberation Theology throughout Christianity who are not Marxists both within the Catholic Church and on the outside. Dr. Cone himself rejects Marxism in his "The Black Church And Marxism: What Do They Have To Say To Each Other?". Dr. Cone wrote that he had never seen a successful Marxist state.

Social Justice does not equate to "Spread the wealth around". There numerous Social Justice Christians who are not Marxists and who take seriously the Bible's proclamations to "Love thy Neighbor" and that you will be judge based on what you have done for the least of these.

Old 09-04-2012, 08:55 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Not for a documentary that probably cost 2 million to make and required no marketing.

BTW, from what I read, it wasn't the anti-Obama film people think it is.
Yeah I read some reviews about it and apparently it's not the hit piece that some think. I will keep my money in my gas tank either way though.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:39 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Okay, I was just looking up documentaries. I'm not sure what the threshold is. . .from what I am reading this Documentary fell short of Fahrenheit 9/11 in opening weekend sales (23.9million) and Justin Bieber: Never Say Never (29 million).

Old 09-04-2012, 10:41 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,076,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Yes, I'm sure that Hollywood is shaking with fear. Per Hollywood standards, $20m is a dismal failure, not a "box office success." If a Hollywood director produces a $20m movie, he/she will probably never work again.
Depends how much it cost to make.... if it turns a profit it is a good thing

Many so called blockbusters made way more $ but barely profitted due to very high costs

Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
this Documentary fell short of Fahrenheit 9/11
...which cost 3x to produce, was marketed up the ying-yang and had Miramax (Disney) behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Justin Bieber: Never Say Never
Seriously? You're going to compare it with something like that? Perhaps both fall into the "documentary" genre, but they had extremely different target audiences. I'm sure every teenie bopper in the country wanted to see that one.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not in the "documentary" section. I know it's hard to understand but there are 2 types of documentaries, Political and non-political....

You would think the NYtimes would know this, but to just discredit/lie/misinform they throw it in with all documentaries, and a little research would provide this....

Documentary - Political Movies at the Box Office - Box Office Mojo

BTW, this is from a link you provided.

So, just to re-cap, this "Political Documentary" that just opened July 13 2012, is in 5th place after opening in ONE (yes that is 1) theater....is about to be the 2nd largest documentary in history....

Oh, and if you read the link....those other Political Documentary have been out for a minimum of 5 years...
No, it opened in one theater, earning ~$31K - which is not even close to 5th place if you were to rate it on that metric alone. "Sicko" opened in a single theater and made twice as much opening weekend. It is *now* in ~1,750 theaters and has earned ~$21M. Still behind "Bowling for Columbine" which was ONLY ever shown in ~250 theaters.

Tell me again how great this movie is performing?

Old 09-04-2012, 10:50 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,392,274 times
There's already a big thread on this - it was moved to the Elections subforum.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:02 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,257,854 times
I'm still waiting for the video showing Reverend Wright saying that President Obama offered to pay him for his silence.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:15 AM

46,313 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Not for a documentary that probably cost 2 million to make and required no marketing.

BTW, from what I read, it wasn't the anti-Obama film people think it is.
Ive stated this several times in this thread....but the Lemurs continue to be Lemurs.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies