Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2015, 09:36 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
To be quit honest, the black community in general has a very loose outlook on sexual morals. As a student at a HBCU college, Black girls in my dorm have already been hooking up with new guys and its only been 3 days. The term baby momma and baby daddy is used way too loosely, so much so that its common to ask someone at 18-24, do you have any kids? It has to come within themselves to understand this but I am afraid that we are far from this reality.
And having gone to a university that was predominantly White, and where females made up 60% of the student enrollment, I can tell you that there is alot of sexual promiscuity among White students. In fact, more Whites have questioned why I haven't had sex at all vs the number of Blacks.

In fact, I don't even have to go to a college campus for that. I can go further to my high school days, where alot of White girls were getting pregnant before finishing high school.

There is a difference between having loose sexual morals and having kids. One can be promiscuous without having kids. Are you more likely to have a kid if you are promiscuous? Of course. On the other hand, I've seen people have sex alot without coming up with babies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2015, 09:38 AM

50,378 posts, read 64,007,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
There appears to be lobby groups set up for almost every political, religious and/or social group, but I haven't been able to identify one single group that lobby's on behalf of the vitality and upward mobility of black American women.

If such a group existed, I'm sure they would have taken on single motherhood.
It seems like some of the traditionally black colleges, where there are career minded, upwardly mobile, women, would be a place to foster the kind of movement you describe.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:45 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
yes, but their kids commit about 80% of violent/drug crimes.
Where did you get this information?

According to FBI statistics, which only track arrest information and not clearances so do not indicate whether or not someone was even convicted of a crime, black people as a whole are arrested for 30% of the crimes in the country most years. Violent crime is around 45% not 80%. Drug crimes are about 30% versus whites at 60%.

"Crime" statistics are not reflective in many cases of actual crime, only of arrest data. Black people are profiles more heavily than other demographics and therefore are arrested more. Ironically drug arrests in particular are very troubling considering black people use hard drugs at a rate less than whites in this country so it is interesting that so many blacks are arrested for drug crimes versus whites when that one especially should mirror the population of the country at large if policing were done on an "offense" basis instead of a biased, prejudicial, profiling basis.

Even on violent crime, there are many black people arrested every year for violent crimes, including murder, who did not commit that crime. I know someone who was arrested in 2009 for a murder who after a year in the county jail was finally cleared of all charges. Someone had been killed at a nightclub and police arrested over 20 people in relation to that crime, all but 2 had charges dismissed.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:48 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
It seems like some of the traditionally black colleges, where there are career minded, upwardly mobile, women, would be a place to foster the kind of movement you describe.
Please note people, this conversation was from 2012/2013. Read the thread if you want to know the responses to this person in regards to black women.

I am a black woman and an HBCU grad. I am married but had a child out of wedlock prior to marrying my husband (he is the father of our son BTW). Black women on the whole do have groups that address the OP's issue. More aren't vocal about it because like me many of them had children out of wedlock with long term partners and they eventually married their parnters/father of the child. Over 50% of black women are married contrary to what people think.

All of this is in the old conversation.

I'm not even sure if the poster you quoted is still around.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:49 AM

1,793 posts, read 1,442,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
He didn't. But alot of Blacks in America have served time for pot. On the occasion that both Blacks and Whites are doing drugs, Blacks are more likely to be CAUGHT.
Don't sell drugs.

About 750,000 people are arrested every year for marijuana offenses in the U.S. There's a lot of variation across states in what happens next. Not all arrests lead to prosecutions, and relatively few people prosecuted and convicted of simple possession end up in jail. Most are fined or are placed into community supervision. About 40,000 inmates of state and federal prison have a current conviction involving marijuana, and about half of them are in for marijuana offenses alone; most of these were involved in distribution. Less than one percent are in for possession alone.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:59 AM

28,899 posts, read 30,279,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary2012 View Post
I simply do not understand why there hasn't been a political platform set up to address the pervasive issue of single motherhood amongst black women. Black women should not wait for the government to save them. Surely, if that were going to happen, it would have already taken place. More, simply need to organize around this platform and reach out to the masses of young black women who are being socially conditioned to accept the notion that raising children alone, without a father's involvement is fine.

When in fact:

Blacks struggle with 72 percent unwed mothers rate - Health - Women's health - NBCNews.com

I just do not forsee any changes occuring, until black women collectively organize, to address this issue. I can't however understand why so many of us continue to sing the praises of black single motherhood, when it's a well known fact that black children (as an aggregate group) are not thriving under these circumstances.
I so commend you on starting this thread, to bring awareness, it is in fact long overdue! There needs to be a collation of black women who are positive roll models, to help enforce a new culture of moral education and the importance of "not" repeating or spreading the disease of raising children alone, which can be the root of crime and immoral behavior. As a matter of fact, all women should sign onto this....maybe that is what it takes for change, women to start marching against single mothers and to do what it takes to change culture.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:22 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,713,034 times
tell them to keep their legs closed

Old 08-27-2015, 10:30 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficCory View Post
Obama served time for smoking pot, doing coke?
This may surprise you, but President Obama is not the only black man.

Old 08-27-2015, 10:32 AM

2,643 posts, read 2,625,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMoreJuice View Post
To be quit honest, the black community in general has a very loose outlook on sexual morals. As a student at a HBCU college, Black girls in my dorm have already been hooking up with new guys and its only been 3 days. The term baby momma and baby daddy is used way too loosely, so much so that its common to ask someone at 18-24, do you have any kids? It has to come within themselves to understand this but I am afraid that we are far from this reality.
That's how it is at most universities. Good luck at school too!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:34 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
That's how it is at most universities. Good luck at school too!
As a man with a college education, and as someone whose father has a college education, I can attest to this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies