Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2012, 04:39 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
And on the flip-side, the conservatives like to call their vile hate speech "talk radio." .
It's just entertainment right.........after all their not politicians. For someone who claims their Independent you sure spend a lot of time trashing Conservatives.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:51 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post

Stop the press it's okay to be called a wh*re at 18 by an aging comedian who just needs the lefts approval.
Then at what age do you think it's ok to be called a *****? Thirty? Or whatever age Sandra Fluke is?

Where is the cut off? Twenty? Twenty-five?

Or is it simply dependent on who is doing the name-calling (such as Rush) and whether the recipient has a 'D' or an 'R' next to their name?

Again, how long did this comedy routine last? A few minutes? Or nine hours? Was it a couple of crass statements or was it a three day ATTACK?

Where was your outrage when Rush was demanding sex tapes of a young woman and saying things like he wondered how she could walk because she's having so much sex?

As far as Kathy Griffin, I don't like her. I find her annoying and her voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard. I would certainly never pay to see her, nor would I purchase anything related to her. But, we do have free speech in this country, as so many conservatives like to point out when it suits THEIR agenda, and she can say whatever she likes. Don't like it? Don't listen/watch.

Just don't pretend to be all outraged when the Palins end up being the butt of the jokes because THEY are the ones who consistently make sure we don't (or can't) forget about them. And I feel so sorry for that little boy (Tripp) - being forced into the family business at such a young age. Bristol should be ashamed of herself.

Old 07-29-2012, 04:52 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
It's just entertainment right.........after all their not politicians.
Yup, you finally get it!! Did you think entertainers were serious political commentators, or something? And were you not aware that comedians and talk show hosts have been doing this for generations? Just look back at all the famous comedians over the decades, and I'm sure you'll find a whole bunch of things that offend you... as we say in the library world, "A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone." (and the same applies to comedy, IMO)

Don't like it, don't listen/watch - simple as that. There are plenty of entertainers and public figures I find offensive, but you won't see me getting all worked up over them.

Quote:
For someone who claims their Independent you sure spend a lot of time trashing Conservatives.
Independent only means I am neither Democrat nor Republican... I have referred to myself as a liberal-leaning Independent more than once here, so my leanings are hardly a secret. And I'm sorry, but conservatives are just so easy to trash! j/k - well, sorta.

But seriously, have I ever given you a reason to believe I'm NOT liberal? I don't agree with the Democrats on many things, but I'm about as liberal as they come (at least on social issues). I was even registered Green Party at one time, for goodness sakes.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-29-2012 at 05:05 PM..

Old 07-29-2012, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
gizmo, According to Hillary people to age 26 are children.....
Well, then Hillary is an idiot. Were you a child at 26? I sure wasn't, considering I was already out of college and working a professional job by then.

Quote:
I just love how the so called softer, more genteel and educated are so filled with hatred of a young woman who's mother they hate more..
Who claimed liberals were softer and "more genteel?" More educated, perhaps, but I'm not sure what that has to do with bashing on a political family.

Quote:
If that girl were just the kid next door none of this would be happening.
Of course not... if she were the kid next door, nobody (here) would know her name or things she has said. When you are a political and/or public figure, especially camera-hogs like the Palins, you have to expect people will say things about you from time to time. Just ask Chelsea Clinton or the Bush twins, none of whom were immune to nasty comments from the peanut gallery - even when they really were children.

I'm not arguing it's a nice thing to offend anyone, but I also don't care if other people do this. We are still free to say what we want in this country, unless maybe you're making a death threat or actual libel... and if you're all going to feign shock & outrage over what one person says, it is quite hypocritical to defend the offensive words of another. And I'm not just referring to Griffin vs Palin here, as this is a common scenario I've seen played out for decades.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:15 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
The Palins are Griffin's gold strike. She would be washed up hack if not for them and her spewing about them. She has nothing else to offer.

When are people going to stop obsessing about the Palins and those who spew about them?

Old 07-29-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
A 12 year old is a young adult now? I graduated from Marine Corps boot camp at 17, but a lot of 18 year olds are still as mentally immature as 12year olds.
I actually said OVER 12, which means you are considered a young adult at 13... and that's pretty much always been the case (in libraries, schools, community programs, etc), so this isn't exactly a newfangled concept I'm revealing here.

Note the YOUNG part of that term, since I am not saying they're fully grown or legal adults. And yes, some 18 year-olds are immature, but that doesn't change the fact they are legally adult. Do you think Willow Palin is immature, and that she didn't realize f***** was an offensive word? C'mon now, don't try to play me for a fool.

Quote:
The Palin kids are a surrogate target for every social bigot and every person who hates Republicans.

Is that their lot in life now, to be the target of every hateful comic and lib as soon as they are close to 18? Letterman made cruel jokes about Willow when she was 15. I cannot imagine the verbal and public abuse the Palin kids have gone thru all because their mother had the audacity of being a VP candidate.
Oh please... should we start listing all the offensive comments towards the Obama kids, Chelsea Clinton, etc, etc? A few of them have been listed already, but you guys still seem to think we'll believe this is merely a liberal thing. Again, you are trying to play me/us for a fool - and I'm not buying it for a second. FYI, the Palin kids (and her mother) have chosen to be in the public eye, and continue to do so by signing up for reality shows. Would you cry and pound your chest if a contestant on "Survivor" or "Big Brother" was being teased by comedians? I sure wouldn't, since nobody forced them to be on TV. And if Sarah Palin were so concerned about her children being discussed, perhaps she should have told them to say no to those reality show offers.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:32 PM

2,652 posts, read 4,798,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ Superstar View Post
This is flat out disgusting and I want liberals on this forum to answer truthfully if you agree with Kathy Griffin saying this about 17 year old Willow Palin last night on her Bravo Channel comedy special. Is what she said considered funny? Bravo channel is being called out for letting Griffin get away with this. Again people, this is a 17 year old kid, a teenager not even legally old enough to buy beer, cigarettes or even cover charge to get into a bar.
Kathy Griffin is an equal opportunity offender. She jokes about every one. Should we be offended, because she a conservative or a young girl. Not sure.? Kathy's comedy act isn't a buffet. Let's not pick some and not the others. I'm sure she was crude to several people. *shrugs*

Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Kathy Griffin's statement was tacky, but it is even more tacky of posters in this thread pretending to be outraged about this and defending Rush Limbaugh's statement about Chelsea Clinton or Sandra Fluke in the next sentence. How ridiculously partisan to only care when the person being called a ***** or a dog is a conservative. Just because you disagree with someone's political ideology does not make it okay to use slurs or call them names. If you truly were outraged about this, you would not condone one person doing it while claiming to be outraged at another for doing the same thing. Every thread about some idiotic/racist/sexist statement that Rush Limbaugh makes is dismissed by conseratives because he is an entertainer or by telling people that if they don't like it, don't watch, but when it is a Palin that it is the butt of the joke, we're supposed to be outraged. When we refer to Trayvon Martin as a child, the George Zimmerman defenders ignore the fact that Trayvon Martin was barely 17 and say that he was an adult. Yet when it is a Palin, she's an innocent child (who is still living by the way and has probably been called a ***** in the past) and we should be angry over this. Please, spare your faux outrage . This is total BS. If I had a dime for every time someone called someone on a reality show a *****...

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
If you are on a reality show you better expect Kathy to give you hell. Kind of why bimbo Palin is the only politician who subjects herself to such shows.

Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The Palins are Griffin's gold strike. She would be washed up hack if not for them and her spewing about them. She has nothing else to offer.

When are people going to stop obsessing about the Palins and those who spew about them?
Maybe when they quit putting themselves on TV reality shows so cameras can follow them around for all the world to see?

Oh, and just to be clear, I can't stand Kathy Griffin and put her in the same category as Ann Coulter---both are female shock jocks with nothing of value to add to humanity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies