Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 04:41 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,640,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Cruel and unusual...very...just the way it should be with these types of people.
Unfortunately, sex crimes prosecutions have suffered from a high rate of false convictions and accusations over the years. If your "meat grinder" proposal had been implemented, you would have ended up executing dozens of victims of "repressed memory syndrome" or other pseudoscience which has been used as the basis for prosecutions since the 1980's. Or did you already forget the whole scandal involving false molestation accusations at various day-cares not that long ago?

A Texas man was recently released after serving 23 years for raping a 14-year-old. He was convicted on the basis of eyewitness testimony alone. The testimony was wrong - DNA evidence cleared him this year.

Under your system, he would have been tortured to death. You would have been a party to the torture-murder of an innocent young man.

How would you prevent outcomes like that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 04:42 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Cant believe that I am surrounded people that actually care for these types of people. Its sickening. I would assume those I am indicating have no children. Your telling me you would be ok living next to a registered sex offender that was convicted of child molestation? .
Yes, and I have 4 children and 8 grandchildren.

Would you live next to a rogue cop? A murderer? A corrupt politician?

And by the way, many on the list are just teenagers growing up in a typical way.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Here is a video dealing with some of the problems related to California's sex offender registry:

Reason.tv: How Sex Offender Registries Fail Us - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Good post.

Megan's law ruins lives and should be repealed.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Court.

And the ones that dont fit that description should have a trap door open up underneath them so that they could fall into a big meat grinder and be done with. I am not sensitive to people that dont derseve to breath the same air as everyone else. Cruel and unusual...very...just the way it should be with these types of people.

Do you know if your name is on the list?

Old 08-28-2012, 05:05 PM

3,614 posts, read 3,503,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Totally agree. Megan's Law should be repealed.

"My rule of thumb is a strong presumption that any law named after a victim is poor public policy enacted by legislators who confuse voting against a law with voting against an innocent person." --Ted Frank
Made me laught out loud a bit, imaginging some politicians standing around, looking entirely too perplexed, voting for and against laws with human names. "Who is this Megan? I don't like her. DOWN WITH MEGAN!"

Quote:
Cant believe that I am surrounded people that actually care for these types of people. Its sickening.
Some of us are capable of empathy you sociopathic ****.

Quote:
I would assume those I am indicating have no children.
One nephew, plenty of younger cousins. No spawns of my own yet, but we live less than a quarter mile away from an RSO in a rural area. Michigan doesn't list his crime, but we know what he did. Used his position as a police officer to coerce sexual favors from women while on duty. He got caught in several under-age cases, however, landing him in prison and on the RSO list.

Nice guy, good with kids.

Quote:
Your telling me you would be ok living next to a registered sex offender that was convicted of child molestation? Yes that is one extreme but a valid question. Ladies, how about one living next to one who was convicted of rape? These people are sick and will always crave that type of behavior. Its nice to know who your neighbors are and I prefer to know before I put my family at risk.
I suspect you don't understand the human psyche. Rape isn't about sex.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:14 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

No, that is considered a sexual pathology or paraphilia. Not all 12-year-olds are prepubescent, of course. But either way, that doesn't determine whether they can be factually willing participants in sexual acts, despite the fact that the law does not recognize consent as a defense in such cases.

The age of consent was 12 or even lower in many U.S. states until about a century ago, and it was 12 in Spain until 1996, when it was raised to 13.
Age of consent was raised when people lived longer than 45.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:16 PM

I do not care how Megan's Law ruins lives.

How about the child's life that was ruined by the sick pedo who molested them.

If the pedo can't control his urges to screw with children then society has to put them away, and/or curb their access to children.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
Our current fascination with sex offender registries is, for the most part, a result of repressed and unhealthy sexual attitudes meeting up with paranoia.
Whose unhealthy or repressed sexual attitudes meeting up with paranoia?

Sex offender registries are necessary. The sex offender maps are necessary so parents, and other people can see where the sexually perverse are living.

There is nothing healthy about living near pedophiles, or rapists.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
I do not care how Megan's Law ruins lives.

How about the child's life that was ruined by the sick pedo who molested them.

If the pedo can't control his urges to screw with children then society has to put them away, and/or curb their access to children.

Have you ever peed outside? Most of us have. That can get you on the RSO list.

So are you OK with ruining the lives of every guy who has peed on a golf course? There are millions of them.

Did you have sex at age 16 or less? Even just touching or looking at a girls breasts? Millions of us did. That would put millions more on the RSO list. So are you OK with ruining the lives of your children because they had sex at 16 or even sexted at 16? Or maybe your kids mooned somebody at 16. You OK with their life being ruined by the RSO list?

Sounds like you are the sick one.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,485,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Age of consent was raised when people lived longer than 45.
The normal human lifespan has not increased as dramatically as all that. It only appears that way because infant mortality has decreased sharply. People who made it past 5 have always stood a good chance of living past 45.

The age of consent, in other words, has no connection to the average lifespan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies