Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2012, 07:01 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times

Advertisements

The problem is when sexual offender lists don't differentiate based on the crime. Not all should be on there for life, for instance a 18 who has sex with a 16 year old girlfriend does not deserve to be designated a sexual predator, and definately not for life. Statutory rape is one of the few crimes that has absolute liability, so if a 16 year old says she is 18, looks like she is 18, and behaves like she is 18 and you an 18 year old have sex with her, you are guilty. Doesn't matter that every other person who saw her that day thought the same thing, you are still guilty and have essentially recieved a life sentence of shame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 07:12 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,483,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
So you are not comfortable with a pedo baby sitting your kids. That is good. You shouldn't be. As for working myself up into a lather and terrifying the kids? Who said anything about involving the kids? I would warn my kids to stay away from the individual and tell me if the man approached them.
That is involving the kids, and creating apprehension and fear that they don't need to have. If I am doing my job properly they don't need to worry about such things.

Quote:
Getting to know him like any other neighbor? Well he isn't like any other neighbor. He is a pedophile.
He also has favorite recipes, movies, sports teams, maybe likes to play cards, maybe likes to barbecue, maybe likes to shoot pool, etc. In other words, he is like any other neighbor in every respect except one. Which rules out babysitting, but shouldn't rule out anything else.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Everyone against this is only referring to those peeing in public, underage consentual sex, etc. The thing is, im not worried about them, im worried about the molesters, pedophiles, etc. Theres a big difference. They destroyed an innocent persons life and here you are talking about getting to know them as a person blah blah blah.
In the course of my study of sex offenses I've gotten to know many victims and very few said their life was "destroyed." I suppose if someone, say, raped his daughter over and over for years then yes, that stands a good chance of happening, but that would be an exceptional case.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:20 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
That is involving the kids, and creating apprehension and fear that they don't need to have. If I am doing my job properly they don't need to worry about such things.

He also has favorite recipes, movies, sports teams, maybe likes to play cards, maybe likes to barbecue, maybe likes to shoot pool, etc. In other words, he is like any other neighbor in every respect except one. Which rules out babysitting, but shouldn't rule out anything else.
On point 1 I disagree. I convicted pedophile is always a concern. You can never undo it better to try and prevent it.

On point two. Cook books have recipies. My kindle has books, movies are available. I have non-sexual offenders to play cards with.
Call me a snob I am a bit selective about who i keep company with.
Car jackers may be all the things you say, that doesn't mean I hang with them either.
Wife beaters might be great soft ball players but i wouldnt have one on my team. I would invite him to be my sparring partner though. Same goes for the pedophile.
The one difference you speak of is a sexual appetite for children. That is a huge difference no matter how you measure it.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:23 PM

Quote:
On point 1 I disagree. I convicted pedophile is always a concern. You can never undo it better to try and prevent it.
That has nothing to do with psyching up my kids to hate and fear the neighbor. If he's a pedophile, the kids are not going to be left alone until they will no longer be of interest to him anyway.

Quote:
On point two. Cook books have recipies. My kindle has books, movies are available. I have non-sexual offenders to play cards with.
Call me a snob I am a bit selective about who i keep company with.
I am too. I don't keep company with haters.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with psyching up my kids to hate and fear the neighbor. If he's a pedophile, they are not going to be left alone until they are no longer going to be of interest to him anyway.

I am too. I don't keep company with haters.
Well there you have it a low blow. But I am fine if I am known for hating pedophiles and or other violent criminals.
Children should fear pedophiles. Absence of fear can result in trust. Trust is the prefered weapon of the pedophile. Ask the victims od Sanduski. For that matter I see nothing wrong with teaching my kids to hate pedophiles.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM

4,214 posts, read 3,761,938 times
Its people like you that become defense attorneys and let the guilty get off scott free. People like that are just as guilty as the criminals they defend.

Why should they have the same rights as everyone else? They should pay for their crime. Maybe the victims lives were not destroyed but they would have a much better life if it had never happened. You should be concerned about the victims not the people who did this to them.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Well there you have it a low blow. But I am fine if I am known for hating pedophiles and or other violent criminals. Children should fear pedophiles. Absence of fear can result in trust. Trust is the prefered weapon of the pedophile. Ask the victims od Sanduski. For that matter I see nothing wrong with teaching my kids to hate pedophiles.
If you are supervising your children properly they don't need to hate or fear anyone.

Old 08-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Its people like you that become defense attorneys and let the guilty get off scott free. People like that are just as guilty as the criminals they defend.
Actually, I have considered going to law school to be a criminal defense attorney. Glad to see you think I'd be good at it!

Old 08-28-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
If you are supervising your children properly they don't need to fear anyone.
I'll assume that you are joking. You are in the yard with your children 100% of the time?
So every child victim it was their parents fault?
You allow a known ppedophile in your home, you associate with them, your children will trust them because they assume that you do.
This was your absolute weakest post on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies