Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 08:47 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
If you think the first paragraph was beneath my intelligence level then clearl you'll see how dumb your posting was because thats exactly what you said.

Furthermore, the people attacking said no such thing, what they said was Obama, there are millions of Bin Ladens.. They said NOTHING about a movie.. I guess you buy everything this administration puts out..
No, it was not exactly what I said. I guess you're counting on myself and other people not actually reading what I said.

Yes, in fact, they did say they were angry because of that so-called movie trailer on YouTube denigrating their Prophet and religion. Where have you been? You're usually better than this. They're angry at the U.S. because the fool made that "movie" here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 08:48 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Shouldn't that Egyptian TV host also be involved ? He's the one that pulled it off the internet and put it on his program and repeatedly showed it telling the audience it was connected to the US and the Coptics.
He did that last Saturday (9/8).

Why is he not mentioned anywhere. If anything what he did was more inciteful of protests than what the filmmaker did..put that on you tube 2 months ago to little fanfare.

How, exactly, do you suppose that US laws apply to an Egyptian living in Egypt?

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in the fact that the Egyptian TV guy is much more responsible than the filmmaker. However, I think the filmmaker was an idiot for putting something like this out. Sure, he has the right to make whatever film he wants. I'm not arguing that, but he has a certain responsibility for the "ripple effect" of making that movie.

I'm just very sorry that it led to several Americans abroad being senselessly murdered.

The movie doesn't even come close to justifying/excusing these brutal murders, but to deny it was a contributing factor is not realistic.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:51 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Seems to me that the perpetrators of this violence are becoming the "victims".
Where have we seen this before.....

"They only did it because so-and-so made them. They are not responsible for their actions."
I do not think it is this simple. None of it is this simple. Most of us would resort to violence if our hometown came under attack from another country.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I do not think it is this simple. None of it is this simple. Most of us would resort to violence if our hometown came under attack from another country.
But this was not a direct attack on them. This was a cheesy movie film clip on you tube.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Was bin Laden or any of those pirates "US citizens" ?

And what does bin Laden or the Somali pirates have to do with the content of this thread and the film makers right to Freedom of Speech ?
It has to do with the fact that all of a sudden, after years of mocking it, the RW is all concerned about "due process" and "the film makers (sic) right to Freedom of Speech".

Old 09-15-2012, 08:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
Okay, then I have no issues with that. We can agree on that, and I take responsibility for not fully being read up on his past and probation violations. I do believe there are those that think he is criminal just for making an insulting movie that led to others reacting with violence. And I think they're wrong for believing that.
Instigation can be a crime, but this kind of thing would not cut it in court, because of freedom of speech argument.

It would be interesting to hear a lawyer explain when instigation becomes a crime. See, there is a limit to what you can do and say, and sometimes when words are used to instigate crimes, the instigator can go to prison.

IMO making a movie cannot be considered "criminal instigation".

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 09-15-2012 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-15-2012, 08:55 AM

8,560 posts, read 6,409,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilt11 View Post
If I watch a Hollywood film, that insults or mocks me or something I believe in, then they are at the very least morally responsible for anything I do as a result? I understand as of now you do not see him as legally guilty, though I think others still come to the conclusion he is some how, but even morally, what if there is no violence as a result. Are the makers of something that mocks/insults still morally guilty, or does someone on the other end have to commit violence to make it so?
We're talking about a specific case here. This movie has been cited as the reason for this violence. Whether or not the movie did actually offend to the point of motivating violence or whether they people are using it as a "cover" or "excuse" to take violent actions, yes, the person who made that movie has some moral responsibility for the CONSEQUENCES OF HIS/HER ACTIONS. Actions have consequences. If you insult an entire religion, one you know is primative and violent when their religion is insulted, denigrated, then the consequence of your actions certainly gives you a share of the moral responsibility. See, the key word here is "responsibility"....the action of making that movie and posting it on YouTube was very, very irresponsible. The consequences of that action, IMO, resulted in the deaths of 4 Americans.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
But this was not a direct attack on them. This was a cheesy movie film clip on you tube.
Sure but we seem to agree that it isn't actually about the movie.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you in the fact that the Egyptian TV guy is much more responsible than the filmmaker. However, I think the filmmaker was an idiot for putting something like this out. Sure, he has the right to make whatever film he wants. I'm not arguing that, but he has a certain responsibility for the "ripple effect" of making that movie.

I'm just very sorry that it led to several Americans abroad being senselessly murdered.

The movie doesn't even come close to justifying/excusing these brutal murders, but to deny it was a contributing factor is not realistic.
I was pointing out that this clip was on you tube for 2 months with no fanfare. If it weren't shown on Egyptian TV last Saturday do you think all those thousands of people all over the world would have found it by themselves ?

Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post

You are right. And several sources, including the Libyan President think it was a pre-planned attack, not a spontaneous protest. Even our government said that a day or two ago but has since changed their stance and said it was because of the movie.

But the Libyan President said today that it was pre-planned by Al-Queda.
RPGs set up at a farm nearby, the location of safe houses given out doesn't sound like spontaneous protests over a movie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies