Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 03:48 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,274,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
As a twentysomething I can say that you are being paranoid. Christianity is here and is not going to go anywhere. It is the worlds biggest religion in the USA and the World.

What is it with the righties and their strange religious obsession? You want to push your religion onto others but are the first to scream when other religions want to be represented. Sound familiar? Ah yes. Sounds like the followers of Islam. You two are really more similar thank you like to admit.

How can Christianity be illegal when we have FREEDOM of Religion? Just because people (Christians included) think that it should not be in the government does not mean it is going away or going to become illegal. Just because people think there should be FAIR laws (without any particular religion) which apply to our nation does not mean anything about Christianity.

Meanwhile, I do admit that the younger generations are becoming less and less religious. There is nothing you can do about that outside of your family. You want a Christian spouse? Marry a Christian. Raise your child with the religion you believe in but be prepared if he/she rejects it.

Religion is meant to be a individual belief and not a universally held belief of society. Some of the laws we have now (Do not steal, rob, break into others property, do not murder) are secular laws which apply to everyone regardless of their faith or they even have one.

So no, OP. Stop with the paranoia. Christianity alongside Islam will not be illegal anytime soon. Take it or leave it.
What about the new law in California that children under age 18 can't see a therapist to explore changing their sexual orientation? You may think that anybody that doesn't think being gay is a great thing is a Neanderthal, but its incompatible with most traditional religions and people have every right to practice their religion and pass it on to their children. Then, when those children grow up they can choose for themselves what they want to do with it. That law is a prime example of the government putting its hands where they shouldn't be and eroding our religious freedom little by little. That should be between the child, their family, and their therapist. Government should have no say in that. Same with contraceptives/birth control. Separation of church and state was designed to keep government out of religion and this has crossed the boundaries, but you won't see the ACLU stand up for liberty in this case. As time goes on, there will certainly be more anti-constitutional laws passed like those ones in the name of political correctness that in 30-50 years Christianity could be de-facto illegal.

Last edited by bchris02; 09-30-2012 at 03:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 03:57 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,989,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its unimaginable now, but considering less than 50% of young adults today consider themselves Christian and the rhetoric coming from most young people is that religion, especially Christianity is an evil, despicable belief system that has done nothing but hold society back from progress, is it possible that when today's twentysomethings get into power we could start seeing government regulation of religion? Certain things are almost certain in the next 30 years, such as churches no longer being tax exempt, Christian holidays being removed from our list of national holidays, and possibly the banning of religious symbolism/imagery where viewable by the public, but can/will it go farther than that? Will the Bible be banned as "hate literature" because of its passages concerning homosexuals? Considering most on this forum are in that young twentysomething age group and are strong atheist, what do you want to see for the future of religion in this country?
No.

Old 09-30-2012, 04:11 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,586,434 times
Quote:
What about the new law in California that children under age 18 can't see a therapist to explore changing their sexual orientation? You may think that anybody that doesn't think being gay is a great thing is a Neanderthal, but its incompatible with most traditional religions and people have every right to practice their religion and pass it on to their children. Then, when those children grow up they can choose for themselves what they want to do with it. That law is a prime example of the government putting its hands where they shouldn't be and eroding our religious freedom little by little. That should be between the child, their family, and their therapist. Government should have no say in that. Same with contraceptives/birth control. Separation of church and state was designed to keep government out of religion and this has crossed the boundaries, but you won't see the ACLU stand up for liberty in this case. As time goes on, there will certainly be more anti-constitutional laws passed like those ones in the name of political correctness that in 30-50 years Christianity could be de-facto illegal.
Before you go on about talking therapy, maybe you should read it?

"The bill's sponsor, state Senator Ted Lieu, a Democrat from Torrance, said the law was a gesture of remembrance for a man who committed suicide after undergoing the therapy." Does not sound like therapy if someone is killing themselves over it.

California bans gay "conversion" therapy for minors - Yahoo! News

ANYONE can go to a therapist and talk about their sexual orientation and their feelings about it. What was banned was CONVERSION gay therapy where they purposely tell people that being gay makes you a terrible bad person, etc etc. It bans non-scientific 'therapies' that have driven young people to depression and suicide. Notice the word "non-scientific."

Also, all major medical and mental health organizations including the American Medical Association and the American Psychiatric Association have denounced the practice. If ALL major medical and mental health organizations have denounced it, then it is evident that it was just more "professional bullying". Do you think that all these organizations are liberal because I do not think so.

Absolutely ANYONE in California who is afraid or unsure of their sexual orientation can talk to a therapist with an unbiased anti-gay point of view. How is your freedom of religion being threatened may I ask? How is your liberty being threatened? Anyone can still go to a therapist and talk. Just not to an anti gay one where most minors were probably forced to go too! Why would the ACLU stand up here? No one is being threatened. If I was a gay person in California, I can still get the help that is needed.

Actually Separation of Church and State was created to keep RELIGION out of the government which is exactly what this has upheld. Your religion and my religion have no place in the government. You don't want to live by my religions rules, right? Well, I don't want to live by yours either. It goes both ways. And how is this being politically correct? Because California is going to ban conversion therapy that major medical organizations are again? Because they are going to ban a practice which resulted in a suicide and higher depression rates? Please do tell me.

And no I still do not think Christianity will be illegal. Some gays and lesbians are followers of the Christian religion. If Christianity ever becomes illegal then all the other religions will as well. Trust me. IF there was a ever a proposal to ban Christianity, I would be ONE OF THE FIRST to vote against it and stand up for the Christian religion. Have no doubt about it. You have my word.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:26 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,795,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exaday View Post

I'm not going to debate the definition of natural with you, but all things that occur in nature are not "natural". It is natural for humans to procreate, not doing so would be the end of the human race. I think we can argue that some peoples indignation to homosexuals is natural. I don't think you can really understand that and that is natural as well so I'm not even angry with you about it.
That's a pretty bizarre understanding of natural to claim things that are in nature aren't natural.

It is natural for humans to procreate. But not all humans needs to procreate. If 100% of every member of a species procreated, overpopulation would destroy species. For someone claiming to know so much about biology, I don't see why you believe this false notion that all individuals MUST procreate. The link I posted to you already shows that not only is homosexuality universal, it is a requirement for species to survive.

Quote:
You're the one who compared homosexuals to animals and I think you should be ashamed, they are not animals but rather human beings. I think it is rather disgusting that you would do such a thing.
Humans are animals. Are you sure you understand biology?

Quote:
I did not bother to read the article you posted as it is irrelevant.
It's completely relevant, but seeing as it disproves your entire argument I can understand why you ignore facts.

Quote:
See where your closed mindedness has put you?
I'm not being closed-minded. You're the one making up wildly outlandish meanings of common words and presenting false information about the topic, and then when shown why your explanation is in fact wrong based on scientific research, you dismiss it.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:30 PM

Quote:
It's scientifically proven that those "therapies" not only do not work, they are extremely harmful. Even religious extremist organizations who utilize those therapies have admitted they have NEVER worked.

That's why they're being banned. We don't just let unlicensed religious quacks make up therapies to try to get rid of something they don't understand, and subject patients to their dangerous methods. That's on par with Nazism.

Has nothing to do with religion other than only the religious think such dangerous methods actually do any good.

Old 09-30-2012, 05:33 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,838,825 times
You can't tell if a person in their early teens or younger is gay...so if the boy is slightly feminine does he get red flagged as gay? You would think the pros and cons on this issue would shut up and leave the kids alone- I repeat- let nature take it's course...To much interference with children and youth in general - back off..."teacher leave the kids alone"

Old 09-30-2012, 06:02 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,404,775 times
Quote:

We have religious liberty in this nation. Our constitutional rights though are being eroded more and more with each passing day in the name of tolerance and political correctness. Its not inconceivable that as Christianity becomes a minority belief in America there could be some persecution against it. Look at what just happened in California with the government outlawing gay reparative therapy. You can think what you want about the therapy but that is the government sticking its hands in religious matters it ought not be in.
Do you think it's a parents 'constitutional right' to be allowed to harm their own children because of religious beliefs?

Gay-to-straight so-called 'reparative therapy or 'conversion therapy' has not only been proven to be a crock, it's also been shown to be harmful, especially to children. It's not 'banned' for adults who want to waste their money beating themselves up because they have a homosexual orientation and have been taught to hate themselves because of a couple of cherry-picked poorly interpreted lines from an ancient religious book - it's banned for children under 18.

To any rational person it's barbaric, and is akin to parents mutilating the genitals of little girls (FGM) because of their religious beliefs. Do you consider parents who are prevented from mutilating their little girls to be 'persecuted'?

Quote:
That is in 2012 when we still are a majority Christian nation. What will happen in 2050 when only 15% of Americans claim Christianity?
I look forward to the future when fewer people need to believe in ancient superstitions.

Last edited by Ceist; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
You can't tell if a person in their early teens or younger is gay
Yes actually you can.

Old 09-30-2012, 06:06 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,588,853 times
This is the most RIDICULOUS and SILLY thread ever created!!!

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, and 80% of Americans are Christians.
It is the dominant religion in the western world, including most developing nations.

First amendment is saying ''Freedom of Religion'', so how could Christianity be banned?!

OP is either trolling, or may be crazy person like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Castro who hated Christianity and religion.

PS! Not only churches are tax free, so are synagogues, mosques, hindu temples and other religious places of worship!

Old 09-30-2012, 06:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,120,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
This is the most RIDICULOUS and SILLY thread ever created!!!

Christianity is the largest religion in the world, and 80% of Americans are Christians.
It is the dominant religion in the western world, including most developing nations.

First amendment is saying ''Freedom of Religion'', so how could Christianity be banned?!

OP is either trolling, or may be crazy person like Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot and Castro who hated Christianity and religion.

PS! Not only churches are tax free, so are synagogues, mosques, hindu temples and other religious places of worship!
The OP is about as conservatively religious as one can get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies