Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2012, 03:02 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That would be the point of her having a co-author.

She had access to the book's subject.

Her co-author presumably had the experience and skill that the publisher required.
^^This.

And, unfettered access to the subject is a huge selling point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 03:03 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,259,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have been watching the media (mainstream and conservative) talking about General Patreus. Invariably, the first words out of their mouths is how great a person that he is, hero, etc. etc.

It just seems a little odd to me. Now I think affairs for politicians are taken way too seriously, but how often are they showered with praise after they have one. Just an observation.
The affair is a red herring. It's what the media wants the public to focus on to distract them from what's really going on. This Benghazi thing is much bigger than people realize and the administration is doing all it can get keep it from getting out. Patreus is a hero who is being thrown under the bus.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:14 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I have been watching the media (mainstream and conservative) talking about General Patreus. Invariably, the first words out of their mouths is how great a person that he is, hero, etc. etc.
It just seems a little odd to me. Now I think affairs for politicians are taken way too seriously, but how often are they showered with praise after they have one. Just an observation.
He is a great man, but great men are also known for making great mistakes. (Jefferson and other founding fathers come in mind). Patreus mistake was not so much the affair (which I consider personal), but compromising his ultra sensitive job.
Speaking of politicians - very few can claim Patreus's background and achievements. Many of them are preaching "family values" and tradition while having affairs and that is hypocritical. Personally, I don't give a rat's ass for these affairs. I also dont like the American politicians putting their families in the spotlight. I have no idea why a governor or senator has to introduce his family. For me, its a waste of time and I couldn't care less.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:25 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,978,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That would be the point of her having a co-author.

She had access to the book's subject.

Her co-author presumably had the experience and skill that the publisher required.
Ah, I did not know she had a co-author. Should have looked that up. Vernon Loeb lent the credentials, and she got the inside stuff.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:28 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm sure that her next book will unfortunately make her a ton more money. Its a shame that people can do sh*tty things and make a ton of money from it.
I started to read "All In" and quit because of the hero-worship.

BUT!!! I'm REALLY looking forward to reading Broadwell's NEXT book!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
This is what you know or what you think? I suspect the latter because if a track record is a necessity Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone would still be sitting on J.K Rollings computer and she and Bloomsbury Publishing plc would not be exponentially richer for the lack of effort.

An West Point, Harvard graduate with exclusive and extensive access to a celebrity general can place a well written and presented book proposal on a publishers desks WILL get a book contract. If they are an untested property (and even if they are) will be paid an advance if and when they place a manuscript on that publishers desk which will then be edited and in the case of non-fiction fact checked by the said publisher. If the manuscript does not measure up to what the proposal purported the contract will be withdrawn and the project shelved. A product is what publishers are looking for, not pedigrees.
Anyone can write a best selling piece of fiction as a first-time author.

This is a biography of the "great general." How did she gain the explicit trust of those in the CIA? (through Loeb no doubt)
It's probably a PR biography, not a true biography. But I will reserve final judgment till I read it.

Gurbie says it best, above: "Hero worship"

A true investigative biography?

Kirkus Reviews:
"To the author's credit, she pays close attention to Petraeus' home life; after all, no war commander leaves for battle without consequences for a spouse, children, parents and many others."

Sweet.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:30 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,389,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Ah, I did not know she had a co-author. Should have looked that up. Vernon Loeb lent the credentials, and she got the inside stuff.
"... and she got the inside stuff"

Old 11-12-2012, 03:40 PM

Broadwell's book - reviewers cite "hero worship"

The Houston Chronicle: "a fascinating account" of the General's life, though "not quite a fully-formed biography."

Most likely not a credible biography at all.

So much for that. The question in the OP is the one of interest.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:41 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Anyone can write a best selling piece of fiction as a first-time author.

This is a biography of the "great general." How did she gain the explicit trust of those in the CIA? (through Loeb no doubt)
It's probably a PR biography, not a true biography. But I will reserve final judgment till I read it.

Gurbie says it best, above: "Hero worship"

A true investigative biography?
Why did she need the "explicit trust of those in the CIA?"

She met the general in 2006 long before he took over as head of the CIA.

"Spring 2006 -- Paula Broadwell meets Petraeus at Harvard University, where she is a graduate student. Petraeus is a lieutenant general working on a manual about counterinsurgency and is invited to give a speech about his experiences in Iraq.
2008 -- Broadwell initiates a case study of Petraeus' leadership. On a visit to Washington, Petraeus invites Broadwell to join him and his team for a run along the Potomac River.
June 30, 2010 -- The Senate confirms Petraeus as the new commander for war in Afghanistan. Over the next year, Broadwell expands her research of Petraeus into an authorized biography. She makes multiple trips to Afghanistan and is given unprecedented access to Petraeus and his commanders."

Timeline of David Petraeus' affair with Paula Broadwell - ContraCostaTimes.com

BTW, buzzfeed has some details regarding how Mrs. Broadwell got her contract. It's all about who you know.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:47 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheyDee View Post
Please try to keep up with events, Bob.
What, pray tell, am I missing in this timeline?

Timeline of Petraeus’ fall from grace: How and when affair and FBI investigation unfolded - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies