Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 09:41 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times

Advertisements

Think4Yourself-
"I'm not seeing anything on any creditable news sites yet. It seems to be a wild claim made only on right wing blogs so I think it is safe to say this is not creditable."

The National Seniors Council is more dangerous than the New Black Panthers- Ha!

I signed the Petition against it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM

114 posts, read 100,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I knew I had seen this before. Notice that the linked post is from 10/13/2010.

Anybody have any recent activity on this supposed effort?
The Latest move can be found in the Obama Administration`s, 256 page- FY 2013 Budget Proposal. The revival of his 2008 presidential run, the “Automatic IRA” which has now “Evolved” into two proposals: Secure Choice Pension & Government Retirement Accounts (GRA’s), both of which automatically- “Mandate” 5% - 6% contributions into Government Run Pension funds.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:47 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
They have also talked about taking away the pre tax contributions to 401K's. I'm sure that will happen first. They alread went after flex contributions in obamacare.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:49 AM

As well as doubling the penalties on your HSA too.
10% has now turned into 20%.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:52 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I knew I had seen this before. Notice that the linked post is from 10/13/2010.

Anybody have any recent activity on this supposed effort?
Yeah, republican governors in 4 states have tried to take away government worker's like union firemen, teachers and police pensions and their ability to collectively bargain. Does Wisconsin ring a bell?

Plus the link claims that Obama personally will confiscate all private pension funds. what a load of Right wing republican scare tactic, crapola. No way would he or could he do such an outragious thing. Anybody who believes this is truly deaf, dumb and blind to the truth.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post
The Latest move can be found in the Obama Administration`s, 256 page- FY 2013 Budget Proposal. The revival of his 2008 presidential run, the “Automatic IRA” which has now “Evolved” into two proposals: Secure Choice Pension & Government Retirement Accounts (GRA’s), both of which automatically- “Mandate” 5% - 6% contributions into Government Run Pension funds.
They can do that to themselves because they are the employer. But so far the public discussions have only talked about the other retirement vehicles..401K and IRA and have never even mentioned private pensions.

I'm following this and have been for a few years. Us peons are still safe.

If I were a government worker though I would definitely get myself educated on their proposals and weigh the effect on one's retirement.

The problem though is not how money goes INTO the accounts but how it would come out.
I have read proposals of putting people on annuities with COLA adjustments each year. That takes away your choice, doesn't give you access to your funds and treats your retirement funds like SS. What if you wanted a lump sum distribution or part distribution, part annuity ?

Anyway..it pays to pay attention to what the government does with their own workers' pensions because it's plausible that they could try to implement this to the public.

FWIW, Americans have amassed over $1 trillion in 401K/IRA/Roth/etc retirement accounts.
You can only imagine what Congress would do if they got access to those funds.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:54 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,743,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. White View Post

Thank you for posting!
Anything with the words, "Government run" makes me shiver.
No, thanks. Our SS trust fund has been stolen, and that's bad enough.
best,
toodie

Old 11-17-2012, 09:55 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,157,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Thank you for posting!
Anything with the words, "Government run" makes me shiver.
No, thanks. Our SS trust fund has been stolen, and that's bad enough.
best,
toodie
I'll bet a government-run military and police force scares you most of all, doesn't it?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:56 AM

Can't admit the failure of most government programs can you?

Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM

114 posts, read 100,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Plus the link claims that Obama personally will confiscate all private pension funds..
No but he could personally lobby for it and get it passed. Like he did with the 'Affordable Health Care Act'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies