Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-22-2012, 04:56 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Looks like most of the Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christianity.

Christmas for many if not most Americans has little to do with religion, unless your religion is consumerism.
I agree with almost nothing of what you say, but I will agree, and even rep, on this point.

Nothing can destroy Christmas any more than Christians already have. And, you're right, it is ALL about consumerism, complimented with a side of "family time", and maybe, if you're REALLY dedicated, a stop at your local prayer booth.

The absurd, over-the-top, extravagant decor, the black-Friday shopping, the hustle and bustle and stress, the economic toll on families, and the pure perversion of the birthday of Jesus Christ, who stood for nothing of what we do on this holiday, has destroyed Christmas, making it an easy target for intolerant atheists.

If you want to shut someone up who, by definition, stands for nothing of a higher power in life (an atheist), then stand by the principles of Christianity, around which you base the Christmas holiday, otherwise you are just as ignorant as anyone who is unwilling to tolerate your holiday.

(off my soapbox and feel free to kick me in the balls for this one)

Old 11-22-2012, 11:49 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
The more telling thing is the birth rules for a Jewish woman. She would have had a ritual bath and given birth in a clean room. The stables were not for people and under the rules they were not allowed. They might have been crowded in the area where people went, but it wouldn't be a stable.

This happened every year. It was a big commercial success for the town, and they were used to handling a lot of people. There would be overflow but not a stable with animals.
I don't believe there was a census every year. What makes you such an expert on this topic, anyway? Do you think that NO Jewish baby was ever born without the rituals?

Old 11-23-2012, 12:41 AM

1 posts, read 784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Very Christ-like of you.

Really? You expect everyone to notice your big cross, even under a winter coat, for example? Pretty presumptuous.

The Vatican is the only real Christian theocracy today. You obviously would like a theocracy in the tradition of Iran, Afghanistan, Saudia Arabia, etc.
Forgive my ignorance, I don't see any evidence of Christians being persecuted anywhere in the U.S. In fact I see evidence that it is the other way around, The majority of Christians I see, abandon there holy scripture, by there condemnation and judgment, lest ye not judge, lest ye be judge himself" or let the lord Jesus Christ pass judgment at his will. Love your fellow man, judge not your fellow man, my favorite "be subject to one another" organize and condemn there fellow man, then take it a step further and go out of there way to get legislation passed to persecute certain minority groups. Hypocritical? Am I persecuting Christians by wishing you a happy holiday's (plural) I had no Idea that this was persecution, I only say Happy Holidays because there are two again (plural) holidays within seven days of each other and have just found the one to be more expedient and convey the same message. I had no Idea I was persecuting Christians, in fact your comment about your BIG cross that is noticed, do you want special recognition for it or maybe a cookie. I don't get it, there is a Christian church usually multiple's in every State, county, city, township or village. The persecution is in your warp head, follow your own teachings and shut up you freakin hypocrite, which is a sin by the way also people like you are the exact reason that our founding fathers explicitly mention the separation of church and state to protect society from the likes of you, you stated earlier that you would like to ruin a persons career just for perceiving he's anti-Christmas because he said happy holiday's instead. come back to earth and get off your high horde lady. You do your job as a Christian and work towards being a better person through Christ and let God take care of everything else - in the meantime "HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR" HOLIDAY'S

Old 11-23-2012, 04:58 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
Another day, another greeting!

Happy Holidays!

Old 11-24-2012, 02:55 AM

191 posts, read 242,608 times
I don't understand why people don't seem to get how it's just plain rude and inappropriate for a group to put up those type of displays next to and during one of the religion's most holiest times of the year.

That's like bringing steak to a vegetarian potluck or popping Valentine balloons and hating on couples on that day.........you know what you're doing because you're trying to make a point. But the only point you're making is that you're a sad individual. This time only comes once a year and you won't die if you see a nativity scene on the grounds that have been minimally paid for by your busted tax dollars.

Old 11-24-2012, 05:59 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guestJ23 View Post
I don't understand why people don't seem to get how it's just plain rude and inappropriate for a group to put up those type of displays next to and during one of the religion's most holiest times of the year.

That's like bringing steak to a vegetarian potluck or popping Valentine balloons and hating on couples on that day.........you know what you're doing because you're trying to make a point. But the only point you're making is that you're a sad individual. This time only comes once a year and you won't die if you see a nativity scene on the grounds that have been minimally paid for by your busted tax dollars.
I have to agree with this. The signs aren't saying "I believe X". They are saying, "We don't believe X and not only that but X sucks."

Old 11-24-2012, 06:49 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I have to agree with this. The signs aren't saying "I believe X". They are saying, "We don't believe X and not only that but X sucks."
There are two kinds of atheists:
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, but have no animosity towards those who do believe; and
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, and are also anti-theist. They have a great deal of animosity towards those who do believe.
Most atheists do not feel the need to publicly express their lack of belief, however, some do.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:52 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are two kinds of atheists:
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, but have no animosity towards those who do believe; and
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, and are also anti-theist. They have a great deal of animosity towards those who do believe.
Most atheists do not feel the need to publicly express their lack of belief, however, some do.

Agreed. I just find the second kind very hypocritical.

Old 11-24-2012, 06:54 AM

27,224 posts, read 43,956,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
WTH? Is there a contest that the rest of us don't know about?? Do you Christians get points or something for each commercial, decoration, and store that is closed?

I enjoy the holiday season - and that's what it is, a season of holidays. Christian, Jewish, Islamic, Pagan, whatever - in 2012, all are free to decorate and celebrate as they wish, which is as it should be in the USA.
Exactly, the fundamentalists talk of a "War on Christmas"....no one has started any war except perhaps the typical "good Christians" who hate and voice their displeasure with anything conflicting with their agenda.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:04 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Agreed. I just find the second kind very hypocritical.
I think it comes down to how they were raised. I was taught that in polite company one does not discuss the topics of religion, politics, or sex. That those topics were private, and only openly discussed by crass, uncouth individuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies