Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 02:17 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Since I personally don't know you, I still would say happy holidays. I'd be fine if you said that to me, and I wear a small (high quality silver equals small) wiccan pendant. I reserve 'christmas' for those I personally know celebrate it.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Sure it isn't. That's why on the US Federal website under observed holidays for Christmas, it says:
Christmas Day is a celebrated on December 25. Christmas is a Christian holiday marking the birth of the Christ Child. Decorating houses and yards with lights, putting up Christmas trees, giving gifts, and sending greeting cards have become holiday traditions even for many non-Christian Americans.

American Holidays | USA.gov
The important part is the highlighted part. The tradition of giving gifts has existed in non christan celebrations before and since. The lights, and most certainly the tree were stolen. What this is saying is they use the christan date but the traditional holiday activities are *Cultural*.

I still think the day off should be your day of choice. You get it as you pick. Where extended families gather many would still use the twenty fifth even if there is no religious significance since that is the day the family is all going to be there.

There have been those religious in my family and those not. Within our own celebrations of the winter holiday, it has never been brought up.

I will celebrate Yule on the twenty first, and go to my relatives house as a family thing on the twenty fifth, not religious conitation needed or wanted.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:31 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Merry Saturnalia.
Is that not an oil used for repelling mosquitoes?

Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
8/10 Americans are Christians, and more than 9/10 celebrate Christmas so I assume she is Christian. It doesn't matter if he/she is Christian or not, they should still greet everybody with "Merry Christmas" since it's a national holiday.

If I was in Israel, I would greet everyone "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Passover", and if I'm in an Islamic nation I would greet them by their holidays. Respect the national holidays and majority of people.
But while Christmas has a decided secular tradition, the zelots ruin it for a lot of us. I personally no longer want to hear about it. Say 'holidays' and I'm fine. Those who quote the amount of people who *celebrate* the secular holiday of winter and family as if all of them are christans like them are the problem. I won't let them win.

We need to remove ALL references to god, or whatever and references to religion from 'offical' things and let people celebrate as they choose. And ban any efforts to push religious referendums on those who are not of that religion. That is the ESSENSE of religious freedom.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Yes, because John 13:35 says "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, by the big cross around your neck."

Oh wait; my mistake, it actually says: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Your actions don't really reflect the kind of love Jesus was talking about here. If you really want to win people over maybe you should consider smiling and saying "Merry Christmas and God bless you!" instead of being a complete ass about it.

Or you can continue to give in to sin and let Satan control your life, rendering that big cross nothing more than a graven image. Your choice. Free will and all that.
As for 'bible quotes', since the hard core seem to like to quote them as if that is all that need be said, when will these zelots figure out that quoting their book as if it was truth will not convince anyone who does not also believe in it, and those people don't need to be convinced anyway. Don't believe in the bible or satan so its all a bit of old time folklore to me.

I do believe that imposing one's own belief on someone else is a very negative thing and karma will pay you back for it.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
And it wouldn't be Christmas without a Nativity scene?

If every single Nativity scene in the world suddenly disappeared, there would be no Christmas?
Is that what you are saying?

You really need props to remind yourself that you believe?

That's sad.
It really is.
I think the whole manger thing is quite questionable too.

I recall a documentary on the Roman census and specifically in that provience. It was a big event. There were barns for their animals, but the barns were crowded, and people did not stay in them. The town charged for space, but they had areas for the visitors to stay, where they sold food, etc. And the mother was Jewish, and at the time strict birth practices were observed, including a ritual bath which also insured clenlieness of the mother and birthplace.

All of this would certainly have been available and has been excavated in Bethleham, including the bath chamber. If she went into labor in the stable, she would have been taken to a suitable place to actually give birth.

So, if its just a story anyway, why do mangers?

Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:

Happy Birthday Jesus! We love you
Ya, we love you so much we're going to honor you by over spending, shopping at midnight, drinking and eating way too much, being greedy crazed and stressed out, being rude to others, putting up Made in China plastic reindeer, and, of course, the TRUE Reason for the Season, WATCHING FOOTBALL.....Happy B-Day, Jesus and, more importantly, who do you pick for the Super Bowl???

Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Ya, we love you so much we're going to honor you by over spending, shopping at midnight, drinking and eating way too much, being greedy crazed and stressed out, being rude to others, putting up Made in China plastic reindeer, and, of course, the TRUE Reason for the Season, WATCHING FOOTBALL.....Happy B-Day, Jesus and, more importantly, who do you pick for the Super Bowl???
Well, the NINERS of course!! I might be doing some praying over the holidays, but it will mostly be for the 49ers to finish what they started last season.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:37 PM

1,466 posts, read 1,229,704 times
Atheist here, HATE when other atheists try to do this. It gives all of us a bad name and is quite pointless. Breaking a tradition and hanging that sign is not going to convert anyone.

If you don't believe in God, as I don't, you should be secure enough in your lack of belief that you really don't care what others believe.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:40 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Btw, my (library) clerk just wished somebody a "Happy Holiday," even though Thanksgiving is tomorrow... should I have him fired?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies