Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 07:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
8/10 Americans are Christians, and more than 9/10 celebrate Christmas so I assume she is Christian. It doesn't matter if he/she is Christian or not, they should still greet everybody with "Merry Christmas" since it's a national holiday.

If I was in Israel, I would greet everyone "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Passover", and if I'm in an Islamic nation I would greet them by their holidays. Respect the national holidays and majority of people.
So what? As I said, many non-Christians volunteer to work the holidays so the Christians can be off. There is certainly a greater than 1 in 5 chance that the person working on Christmas Eve is a non-Christian and/or a non-celebrator.

As far as Israel, from what I have read, Hanukkah is a minor holiday (sort of like say All Saints Day) outside the US.

If you're interested in going to Iran, Saudi Arabia or the Gaza Strip, go right ahead.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Christians think they are above everyone else in this nation. It's sad really.
Yup. And then they wonder why ~70% of American Jews vote Democrat... well, maybe it has something to do with the (at least in recent years) Republicans' desire to turn this country into a Christian theocracy!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:10 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Btw, my old roommate used to work at Trader Joe's, and they received a few isolated complaints about being inclusive in their HOLIDAY displays & greetings. Guess what? Nobody got fired, nothing was changed, and corporate basically laughed over the kooks who thought this was an issue. So go ahead and file that complaint, but I doubt it will actually accomplish anything in the end (other than making you look kooky).

I could not imagine a boss firing a person over such foolishness. If someone came to me with a complaint like that I would laugh him/her out of the office.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
8/10 Americans are Christians, and more than 9/10 celebrate Christmas so I assume she is Christian. It doesn't matter if he/she is Christian or not, they should still greet everybody with "Merry Christmas" since it's a national holiday.
Nobody "should" be forced or even expected to say anything, federal holiday or not. If you go shopping on Veteran's Day, are you all butt hurt when the clerks don't say "Happy Veteran's Day?" Pulease, this is too silly for words.

Quote:
If I was in Israel, I would greet everyone "Happy Hanukkah" and "Happy Passover", and if I'm in an Islamic nation I would greet them by their holidays. Respect the national holidays and majority of people.
No Israeli would expect that or be offended if you didn't, and as Katiana said above, Chanukah is actually a very minor holiday in the Jewish religion. We generally just use the greeting "Chag Sameach" (or Gut Yontiff in Yiddish) for most holidays, big or small - and guess what that means? More or less, it just means HAPPY HOLIDAYS. Oh, the irony!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,446,162 times
Christmas has become a religion-neutral holiday in this country, but putting plastic Jesuses up in town squares is definitely Christian.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I could not imagine a boss firing a person over such foolishness. If someone came to me with a complaint like that I would laugh him/her out of the office.
Me too, LOL. As a public librarian, I've dealt with my share of silly complaints over the years. Only occasionally are they related to Christmas, but we get some that are equally ridiculous - like demanding we remove all gay-themed books, the Q'uran, or this one History Channel Lincoln documentary (due to the implications of his alleged homosexuality). We give them our standard polite response, and wait until they leave before we laugh about it.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:42 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Me too, LOL. As a public librarian, I've dealt with my share of silly complaints over the years. Only occasionally are they related to Christmas, but we get some that are equally ridiculous - like demanding we remove all gay-themed books, the Q'uran, or this one History Channel Lincoln documentary (due to the implications of his alleged homosexuality). We give them our standard polite response, and wait until they leave before we laugh about it.

I know. I guess some people do not believe in freedom of speech. I bet I know what it is.....you are forcing them to read the books. LOL.

Old 11-20-2012, 08:03 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,926,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Christians are not wishing to put up a Christmas tree or nativity scene as a form of speech in order to mock or ridicule atheists. There is the difference.
Some of the atheist displays were probably offensive to Christians, but... how is the one wishing people Happy Solstice offensive? or the one they vandalized that said Happy Holidays: Generation Atheist wishes you an abundance of joy and peace this holiday season? or Love is Within you (Atheists United)? or the Robert Ingersoll quote: Happiness is the Only Good, the time to be happy is now, the place to be happy is here, the way to be happy is to make others so?

Slide show of the signs
Pictures - Vandalized atheist holiday signs - Los Angeles atheism | Examiner.com

Old 11-20-2012, 09:08 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,586,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I always wear a Star of David, so should I call corporate & complain for EVERY store (which would be 99.999% of them) that doesn't wish me a Happy Chanukah on the holiday... or L'Shana Tova during the High Holy Days & Passover, etc? Sheesh, what kind of self-absorbed person would even think of doing that? Oh, I guess you. And just for that, I'm going to post a HAPPY HOLIDAYS greeting to you on 12/24-25. Hehe.

(I'm not anti-Christian or anti-Christmas, whatever that even means... but when somebody threatens to officially complain over a freakin' holiday greeting, you deserve whatever comes your way as a result)
Why would you expect anyone wishing you "Happy any Jewish holiday" for you in the U.S. when your holidays are not observed nationally?! It's like me going to Israel and expecting them wishing me "Merry Christmas" on Christmas Eve when my holiday is not even observed nationally over there.

If your holiday was observed nationally, then you should have said that.

Did you know that in large part of the US, there are barely any Jews. My cousin in the Midwest have never ever met a Jew, and most of them do not know anything about them.

I hope you understand my point. It's about the majority, and public holidays.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:14 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Yup! You sure sound like a christian.....

Wearing a "BIG" cross......Does size matter ? The bigger your silly symbol the holier you are???

Is nasty intimidation christian?

Is pride christian?

Are oh so delicate feelings christian? (OOOh, I'm so wounded! Someoone didn't address ME, ME! correctly! WAHHHHH!)

How VERY christian....!!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies