Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Happy Holidays!

BTW, My boss has no problems with Happy Holidays, and will gladly greet you the same way.

So, take your big cross and be cross.

1,316 posts, read 1,586,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Actually, this is a very promising post. You have successfully set precedent as to why Christmas probably should not be a federal holiday.

As you've pointed out, Israel has their religious holidays. But Israel is a religious state. The United States of America is not a religious state. We are a secular state. Our goals have always been to be secular. You shouldn't let the population makeup deter us from the goal of this nation. In fact, you point out that we need to work harder to hold up to the goals of this nation set forth by our founding fathers.
Many secular nations observe religious holidays, depending on the majorities demographic, culturally and historically.
Indonesia, which is predominately a Muslim nation (has even the world's largest Muslim population) has both Good Friday and Christmas Day as national holiday.
Turkey, which is secular, observes Muslim holidays because >98% of the population are Muslims and observe it.

Even if the US did not observe Christmas as a federal/state holiday, everything would still be shut down because people would have take it off anyway, so it's better to make it a national holiday. Also the US is culturally and historically a Christian nation with secular law.

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Ask some of the old Norse or Germanic people who used St. Nick and others where we use Santa Claus. They were there before either of us was.
That has to be a joke. The Old Norse didn't know of any saints. They were, to put it bluntly, not Christian. The concept of a saint was foreign to them. Missionaries didn't reach them until the 8th century CE, and had very varying degrees of success. Am I getting through with the message that the Old Norse didn't have saints?

Incidentally, St. Nick IS Santa Claus (St. Nick = Saint Nicolaus = Santa Claus)

Old 11-20-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Happy Holidays!

BTW, My boss has no problems with Happy Holidays, and will gladly greet you the same way.

So, take your big cross and be cross.
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
That has to be a joke. The Old Norse didn't know of any saints. They were, to put it bluntly, not Christian. The concept of a saint was foreign to them. Missionaries didn't reach them until the 8th century CE, and had very varying degrees of success. Am I getting through with the message that the Old Norse didn't have saints?

Incidentally, St. Nick IS Santa Claus (St. Nick = Saint Nicolaus = Santa Claus)
Exactly

Santa Claus = Saint Nick was a bishop who lived in Myra (Modern day Turkey) who gave gifts to children.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:35 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
Hell the best thing to do is say nothing. If you do some fool will be offended. This is America today. Certainly not the country I grew up in.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Exactly

Santa Claus = Saint Nick was a bishop who lived in Myra (Modern day Turkey) who gave gifts to children.
Your earlier link said he gave gifts to prostitutes, who hung their stockings to dry by the fire.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Even if the US did not observe Christmas as a federal/state holiday, everything would still be shut down because people would have take it off anyway, so it's better to make it a national holiday. Also the US is culturally and historically a Christian nation with secular law.
Yes, you keep pointing this problem out. In recent history we haven't come very far in terms of our goals and values for this country.

"This would be the best of all possible worlds, if there were no religion in it." -John Adams

Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
I plan on wishing you happy holidays, at least once a day or more every day between now and new years.

Happy Holidays.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Even in uber-liberal Boulder, Colorado, the Christmas season is celebrated.
I've lived in the Bay Area (on & off) since 1983, and Christmas is and has always been widely celebrated here. Have you all seen Union Square in San Francisco during the "Christmas season?" It's practically like something out of a Norman Rockwell painting, so I'm not really sure why people think we're waging war against their holiday. I mean, if even SAN FRANCISCO acknowledges it... that pretty much proves the "war" is fabricated, since we're supposedly the land of heathens. LOL

Here's the Christmas tree & ice skating rink (seasonal) at Union Square. There is also a giant menorah, as you can see, but it's only put up/lit during the actual 8 nights of Chanukah. I'm sure some people find that offensive, since their parents never taught them about sharing - but we don't care!!

And here are some more photos of the various Christmas/holiday displays in downtown SF: http://ca.myphotoscout.com/2009/12/1...san-francisco/ (isn't that enough for you all??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies