Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 01:10 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
Why would you expect anyone wishing you "Happy any Jewish holiday" for you in the U.S. when your holidays are not observed nationally?! It's like me going to Israel and expecting them wishing me "Merry Christmas" on Christmas Eve when my holiday is not even observed nationally over there.
I don't expect anything, and you obviously missed my point... your comment mentioned how you wear a cross, and thus anyone should KNOW (and acknowledge) that you celebrate Christmas. I wear a Star of David, and yet it's very rare for anyone non-Jewish to wish me "L'Shanah Tova." Fine with me, since it would be kinda fake coming from a Gentile anyway.

Quote:
If your holiday was observed nationally, then you should have said that.
Your location is listed as "NY metro," which if you're referring to NYC proper, includes a 29% Jewish population - second only to Catholics, and if my math is correct, a larger population than Christians. Do you take that into consideration, when bullying people into greeting you appropriately?

Quote:
Did you know that in large part of the US, there are barely any Jews. My cousin in the Midwest have never ever met a Jew, and most of them do not know anything about them.

I hope you understand my point. It's about the majority, and public holidays.
No, I don't understand. Why not? Because the majority doesn't rule in this country, and you cannot dictate what other people (or businesses) say on the various holidays. Doesn't matter if there are ZERO non-Christians in your town, it's still ridiculous to get mad over something this petty. Can't you just be grateful somebody is trying to be nice?

As a Christian you probably won't understand this, but the words "Merry Christmas" just don't roll off the tongue as naturally for us non-celebrators. I don't say it too often for that reason, not because of some sinister motivations or hatred for anyone... it simply isn't a natural phrase for me. If you don't like that I fail to say these two words, oh well. What would you suggest we do, pass a national law over it? Proposal: From this day forward, all who don't say "Merry Christmas" to every person they greet from 12/24-12/25 will be fined $10,000. Yeah, good luck with that!

Old 11-21-2012, 01:57 AM

15,532 posts, read 10,507,413 times
I'm not offended by people saying Happy Holidays. I have some antique Christmas cards that say Holiday Greetings and Season's Greetings, so different sayings have been around for a long while. The only time that I can remember feeling a tad put out was ten years ago when Target? told their workers not to say Merry Christmas and had no Christmas decorations at all. I felt that was a little extreme, but I also think that was a marketing mistake and not an outright war. I say Happy Hanukkah to my Jewish friends. Heck, I used to buy my kids gelt (the gold milk chocolate ones). I just put some in one's Christmas postal package for old times sake. Even here in fly over country we have Hanukkah stuff right next to the Christmas stuff. A lot of our Jewish neighbors put up blue and white lights. I like it all, it's festive. Imo, the thing that is going to ruin Christmas is the crass commercialization, not a few sore head atheists. Oh, and the traffic could ruin it too, but that's another story.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:06 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,074,327 times
Quote:
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
LOL! Seriously? I can't imagine anyone being so petty.

Of course if I was a manager and you bothered me with this nonsense, I'd throw you out of my store, personally.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Never understood what rum and egg nog have to do with Christianity, but what the heck, I'll drink to that

The Catholics in my family always use Ever Clear in their Egg Nog...

Old 11-21-2012, 03:09 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Nativity scene is the main reason for Christmas....
Then put it in your house, your church, your head, your car, etc.
Not in public spaces.

And, since you're so big on saying it's a christian holiday, it's not.
It was a pagan holiday long before.
Theft is theft.

Quote:
Christmas is a national holiday, and celebrated by 96% of Americans. If a cashier do not wish you "Merry Christmas" few days before Christmas, then it is idiotic. Hanukkah is NOT a national holiday, and is only celebrated by less than 2% of the US population by Jews only. America isn't Israel.

If I go to Israel, I wouldn't expect them wishing me Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays refers to Christmas, and is offending.
Do you wish or force other people to wish you a Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day; do you wish people Happy President's Day?
This is patently insane.
You can't steal the celebrations of others and say they're not allowed to celebrate in the way that they choose.

I guess I should call you the christmas gestapo.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-21-2012 at 03:25 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 03:34 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
To bad some Atheist can't just sit back and enjoy the rum and egg nog, while leaving others alone.

AHHHH, so much for being tolerant of others. beliefs.......must be a boring bunch to be around!!!
I'm sure 99% of us do just that. as for being tolerant of others? sure hope you aint a rightie.

Merry Christmas...

Old 11-21-2012, 04:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Why would you expect anyone wishing you "Happy any Jewish holiday" for you in the U.S. when your holidays are not observed nationally?! It's like me going to Israel and expecting them wishing me "Merry Christmas" on Christmas Eve when my holiday is not even observed nationally over there.

If your holiday was observed nationally, then you should have said that.

Did you know that in large part of the US, there are barely any Jews. My cousin in the Midwest have never ever met a Jew, and most of them do not know anything about them.

I hope you understand my point. It's about the majority, and public holidays.
It's called being polite. It's a concept that only a few find difficult to comprehend.

One day closer, Happy Holidays!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,275,785 times
Quote:
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Yes, because John 13:35 says "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, by the big cross around your neck."

Oh wait; my mistake, it actually says: "By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

Your actions don't really reflect the kind of love Jesus was talking about here. If you really want to win people over maybe you should consider smiling and saying "Merry Christmas and God bless you!" instead of being a complete ass about it.

Or you can continue to give in to sin and let Satan control your life, rendering that big cross nothing more than a graven image. Your choice. Free will and all that.

Last edited by duster1979; 11-21-2012 at 08:29 AM..

Old 11-21-2012, 08:40 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Nativity scene is the main reason for Christmas....
And it wouldn't be Christmas without a Nativity scene?

If every single Nativity scene in the world suddenly disappeared, there would be no Christmas?
Is that what you are saying?

You really need props to remind yourself that you believe?

That's sad.
It really is.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:49 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Yup! You sure sound like a christian.....

Wearing a "BIG" cross......Does size matter ? The bigger your silly symbol the holier you are???

Is nasty intimidation christian?

Is pride christian?

Are oh so delicate feelings christian? (OOOh, I'm so wounded! Someoone didn't address ME, ME! correctly! WAHHHHH!)

How VERY christian....!!!!

It sure seems like it is all about the "props" with that one.
Everything is external - the cross, the "Merry Christmas," the Nativity...

Notice there isn't a single word about compassion or love or acceptance. Nope, it just "my way or the highway."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies