Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2012, 09:35 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,609,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian.
Very Christ-like of you.

Quote:
I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Really? You expect everyone to notice your big cross, even under a winter coat, for example? Pretty presumptuous.

Quote:
Militant atheists wants to suppress us the majority, wants to persecute, and destroy everything that has to do with religion in this country. Ah it makes me wish our government was religious like Israel, the UK, etc.
The Vatican is the only real Christian theocracy today. You obviously would like a theocracy in the tradition of Iran, Afghanistan, Saudia Arabia, etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Today at the stores, I heard both "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Have a nice holiday".

I don't understand why in other English speaking countries like Australia and the UK it's always "Christmas" this and that, while in the US they try to say "holiday" for everything.
Because our founding fathers want us to leave religious nonsense behind.

"Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions. Ideas must be distinct before reason can act upon them; and no man ever had a distinct idea of the trinity. It is the mere Abracadabra of the mountebanks calling themselves the priests of Jesus." -Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-21-2012, 09:40 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
If Christians can put on their display, I don't see why they object to atheists doing the same. But I can certainly understand why the city of Santa Monica doesn't want to play referee to this:

"Damon Vix didn’t have to go to court to push Christmas out of the city of Santa Monica. He just joined the festivities. The atheist’s anti-God message alongside a life-sized nativity display in a park overlooking the beach ignited a debate that burned brighter than any Christmas candle. Santa Monica officials snuffed the city’s holiday tradition this year rather than referee the religious rumble, prompting churches that have set up a 14-scene Christian diorama for decades to sue over freedom of speech violations. Their attorney will ask a federal judge Monday to resurrect the depiction of Jesus’ birth, while the city aims to eject the case."
Atheists’ move halts Christmas tradition in Santa Monica, churches go to court to get it back - The Washington Post

Pictures of last year's displays here: Atheist's protest of holiday decorations forces Santa Monica to cancel Christmas | Mail Online
A post in the comment section for the linked article says it all:
Quote:
This is basically a case of Christian Privilege run amok. Everything was fine when the Christians got to use the park by themselves, in full violatiion of the Constitution. Then when they were asked to share with others there was a brouhaha. So the city decided to shut the whole thing down and now the Christians are acting like they're being persecuted. What a bunch of whiny babies.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:53 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That does nothing to prove that all Christmas decorations are directly related to baby Jesus, as the poster claimed.
The Yule log, tinsel covered trees, stockings, reindeer, Santa, snowmen, gingerbread etc are directly related to the birth of Jesus how?
You know I must've missed that post...... I don't believe decorations where related to Jesus, matter of fact there's a part in the Bible that speaks of not decorating a tree, it's in the OT Book of Jeremiah. I don't believe anything is mentioned in the NT.........

One thing to add to your list being in "debt" this wouldn't have been directly related to Jesus either.....

Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do atheists have to force their beliefs on others?
Atheists don't have (collective) beliefs - that's kind of the whole point, LOL. And if you'd read the article, you would know the Atheist displays were the ones vandalized. So who's really pushing their beliefs on whom here? Sounds like some Christians weren't taught the concepts of sharing and tolerance!

Old 11-22-2012, 01:34 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Today at the stores, I heard both "Happy Thanksgiving" and "Have a nice holiday".

I don't understand why in other English speaking countries like Australia and the UK it's always "Christmas" this and that, while in the US they try to say "holiday" for everything.
Maybe because we're a nation that celebrates diversity, and doesn't exclude or pander to the majorities? I've been to both Australia and the UK, but only the latter during the holiday season - and I do recall hearing a variety of greetings, including both Happy Holidays and Season's Greetings. They also had mostly blue & silver decorations, which I personally thought were much prettier than our traditional red & green.

Btw, the neighborhood where I work is predominantly Jewish & Asian/Indian, so we've had more requests for Diwali & Chanukah books than Christmas ones over the last few weeks... actually suggested a Christmas-themed mystery for a patron tonight, but he was like "nah, she (his mother) isn't really into that stuff." Still think it's inappropriate for us to be using generic holiday greetings? That's not a rule for us, however, and we were also wishing people a Happy Thanksgiving today.

Speaking of which, hope all who celebrate have a nice T-Day tomorrow!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
Another day,

Happy Holidays!

Old 11-22-2012, 05:15 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian.

I'm sure your manager would thank you for providing such a clear cut picture of what a silly whiner you are.

Quote:
I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
Wearing a big cross has as much to do with making you a Christian as wearing a flag lapel pin does with making you a patriot. i.e.: NOTHING

Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,804,762 times
I am most concerned when economic policy philosophy such as capitalism trumps human decency and compassion for those who are less fortunate. As society becomes more secular it has become apparent that people are increasingly being valued more in terms of their economic position than the content of their character.

This provides justification for the continued erosion of long-standing traditions that are part of the American culture.

Last edited by Lincolnian; 11-22-2012 at 06:03 AM..

Old 11-22-2012, 06:09 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,155,997 times
Quote:
Militant atheists wants to suppress us the majority, wants to persecute, and destroy everything that has to do with religion in this country. Ah it makes me wish our government was religious like Israel, the UK, etc.
And Muslim countries.

How many "militant" atheists are there?

Please show examples of "destroy everything that has to do with religion".

How?

Where?

When?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Why do atheists have to force their beliefs on others?
Their belief in religious freedom? ( and freedom FROM religion)

I guess because EVERYONE has a right to express their beliefs in THIS country.

If people weren't so terrified of actually learning about history they would find that christians were the champions of forcing their beliefs on others.....but IGNORANCE is bliss to some....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies