Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2012, 08:07 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
Happy Holidays!

Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
Once December arrives, I wish my Christian friends a "Merry Christmas," my Jewish friends a "Happy Chanukah," and religion unknown friends/strangers a "Happy Holiday."

If I worked retail during the holiday season, all customers would be wished a Happy Holiday. To assume everyone is Christian is presumptively arrogant.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:07 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Did anyone read the article? The atheists acquired spaces to express their views, fair and square, right along with the Christians.

The trouble started when the atheist displays were vandalized.....no doubt.....by Christians.

So.....since the Christians couldn't play nice.....the city said no one gets to play.

Sooooo....how is this the fault of the atheists?

If the Christians had played by the rules.....their displays would still be allowed.....right along with the atheist displays.
But why, can you explain that? Christmas is a religious holiday for many, but more than that it is a festive time throughout the world. It is a family time, a time for giving and if in the Chirstmas spirit a nativy scene is assembled, or a santa claus display, so why should that bother anyone. let the Athiests do their thing some other time. How would you feel about Hannukah candles on display without Atheist displays allowed as well? Would that bother you or do you choose to direct your conplaints just toward Christians? Nita

Old 11-24-2012, 09:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Once December arrives, I wish my Christian friends a "Merry Christmas," my Jewish friends a "Happy Chanukah," and religion unknown friends/strangers a "Happy Holiday."

If I worked retail during the holiday season, all customers would be wished a Happy Holiday. To assume everyone is Christian is presumptively arrogant.
I tell my friends to "get stuffed." It covers all occasions.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:13 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
I see a difference in intent. Christmas displays are for Christmas; they tell the Christmas story of Christ's birth.

Atheists' displays are against Christmas. To be seen as really objective, they should be against all religions. As it is, they're simply hateful against Christmans (and Christ). Wonder why they are compelled to be against just that one? Hmmm...

No, I don't wonder. Ask any true Christian. They know.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:19 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
But why, can you explain that? Christmas is a religious holiday for many, but more than that it is a festive time throughout the world. It is a family time, a time for giving and if in the Chirstmas spirit a nativy scene is assembled, or a santa claus display, so why should that bother anyone. let the Athiests do their thing some other time. How would you feel about Hannukah candles on display without Atheist displays allowed as well? Would that bother you or do you choose to direct your conplaints just toward Christians? Nita
Some Atheists celebrate Christmas too. Some just celebrate being with family and friends.
One of the displays by atheists that was vandalized said happy holidays. One was a gnome.

Are you offended by a sign saying happy holidays or a gnome. Is the sign saying happy solstice offensive?
Of all the displays I have seen pictures of ONE wasn't in the best taste, but there is still free speech in this country.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,211,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
I see a difference in intent. Christmas displays are for Christmas; they tell the Christmas story of Christ's birth.

Atheists' displays are against Christmas. To be seen as really objective, they should be against all religions. As it is, they're simply hateful against Christmans (and Christ). Wonder why they are compelled to be against just that one? Hmmm...

No, I don't wonder. Ask any true Christian. They know.
How do snowmen, reindeer, decorated trees, and gingerbread men tell the story of the birth of Jesus?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
There has been a growing resentment, with some justification, concerning the display of the dominate religion. The only reason I can see for an atheist to proselytize is in protest to the proselytizations of other religions. If other religions did not feel the need to proselytize, then there would be no need for atheists to proselytize.

Your question is a good example. Jews very rarely feel the need to proselytize, and as a result you do not find atheist displays opposing Judaism. Christians, on the other hand, besides being the dominate religion (and the biggest target) feel the need to proselytize regularly. This is what offends most people, particularly atheists.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:27 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There has been a growing resentment, with some justification, concerning the display of the dominate religion. The only reason I can see for an atheist to proselytize is in protest to the proselytizations of other religions. If other religions did not feel the need to proselytize, then there would be no need for atheists to proselytize.

Your question is a good example. Jews very rarely feel the need to proselytize, and as a result you do not find atheist displays opposing Judaism. Christians, on the other hand, besides being the dominate religion (and the biggest target) feel the need to proselytize regularly. This is what offends most people, particularly atheists.
Great explanation.
I understand and accept that as Christians we are commanded to spread the Gospel, however, we do have a choice as to how we do this and beating people over the head is not a really good choice.
The old adage about getting more bees with honey... is quite apropos.

Old 11-24-2012, 09:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,943,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
There are two kinds of atheists:
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, but have no animosity towards those who do believe; and
  • Those who do not believe in any divine entity, and are also anti-theist. They have a great deal of animosity towards those who do believe.
Most atheists do not feel the need to publicly express their lack of belief, however, some do.
Thanks for the explantion.....well done I do believe the bold describes many here on C-D and even in this thread............some just have to let others know their not tolerant of others beliefs, although they like for others to think they are............ Thy're just the opposite of a over zealot Christian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies