Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2012, 06:53 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times

Advertisements

I do not understand the mindset of these people that are offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas. It is the Christmas holiday. I am not Jewish and I would not be offended if a Jewish person wished me a Happy Hanukkah, or if an Atheists wished me a Happy Holiday, but I guess that being a mature person makes the difference. I am very sure that the people that wish you a merry Christmas are being sincere and are not trying to offend anyone. Lighten up accept it for what it is. Go on your way with whatever belief you have. It didn't hurt you in any way.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:54 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
You greet me with "Happy Holidays" on Christmas Eve, and I will tell your manager + calling corporate for insulting me, being Anti-Christmas, and Anti-Christian. I do wear a big cross, and you know I'm Christian.
I always wear a Star of David, so should I call corporate & complain for EVERY store (which would be 99.999% of them) that doesn't wish me a Happy Chanukah on the holiday... or L'Shana Tova during the High Holy Days & Passover, etc? Sheesh, what kind of self-absorbed person would even think of doing that? Oh, I guess you. And just for that, I'm going to post a HAPPY HOLIDAYS greeting to you on 12/24-25. Hehe.

(I'm not anti-Christian or anti-Christmas, whatever that even means... but when somebody threatens to officially complain over a freakin' holiday greeting, you deserve whatever comes your way as a result)

Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I do not understand the mindset of these people that are offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas. It is the Christmas holiday. I am not Jewish and I would not be offended if a Jewish person wished me a Happy Hanukkah, or if an Atheists wished me a Happy Holiday, but I guess that being a mature person makes the difference. I am very sure that the people that wish you a merry Christmas are being sincere and are not trying to offend anyone. Lighten up accept it for what is is. Go on your way with whatever belief you have. It didn't hurt you in any way.
I don't understand the mindset either, because in reality I don't think anyone actually is offended... that's what really gets me about this ridiculous "War on Christmas" crap, because even as a Jew, I couldn't care less about being wished a Merry Christmas. I have many many Jewish friends & family members too, and they also don't care about this petty stuff. So who exactly IS complaining? Methinks just a few loudmouths looking for public attention & press time.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
I do not understand the mindset of these people that are offended by someone wishing them a Merry Christmas. It is the Christmas holiday. I am not Jewish and I would not be offended if a Jewish person wished me a Happy Hanukkah, or if an Atheists wished me a Happy Holiday, but I guess that being a mature person makes the difference. I am very sure that the people that wish you a merry Christmas are being sincere and are not trying to offend anyone. Lighten up accept it for what is is. Go on your way with whatever belief you have. It didn't hurt you in any way.
These people have shut their eye to reason.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
What about those that threaten to get people fired if they say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas?
I personally don't care if someone says Christmas, holidays, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, puts up a nativity snowman Santa or whatever, but certain "Christians "in this thread are basically saying "my way or else ".

Old 11-20-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What about those that threaten to get people fired if they say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas?
Yeah, good question!! We actually do have evidence of that here, but somehow it's the Atheists & non-Christians who are crazy? Again, I know ZERO non-Christians who care about these greetings, and every single year it's mostly the Christians complaining about this nonsense. So what about that mindset? Seems like a childish & selfish "me me MINE" way of thinking, IMO.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,150,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yeah, good question!! We actually do have evidence of that here, but somehow it's the Atheists & non-Christians who are crazy? Again, I know ZERO non-Christians who care about these greetings, and every single year it's mostly the Christians complaining about this nonsense. So what about that mindset? Seems like a childish & selfish "me me MINE" way of thinking, IMO.
Christians think they are above everyone else in this nation. It's sad really.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Looks like most of the Christmas traditions have nothing to do with Christianity.

Christmas for many if not most Americans has little to do with religion, unless your religion is consumerism.

Rev Billy of the Church of Stop Shopping - YouTube

Old 11-20-2012, 07:03 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,957,451 times
[quote=jjrose;27035212]What about those that threaten to get people fired if they say happy holidays instead of merry Christmas?
I personally don't care if someone says Christmas, holidays, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, puts up a nativity snowman Santa or whatever, but certain "Christians "in this thread are basically saying "my way or else ".[/quote]

What can I say? You have crazy people that are out there. Maybe they need to be medicated.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunnor View Post
It's still more than a month left for Christmas, so I could care less if you wish me "Happy Holidays" for Thanksgiving. My point was during Christmas Eve, and few days before that.
So, what exactly do you do when people say "Happy Holidays" on Christmas? Do you go around snarling at people, even when they have the best intentions in mind? It's not like everyone who says that has ulterior motives, or cares about being "PC" - it's just one of many ways to spread cheer & goodwill to others. For you to make it into something sinister, or heaven forbid get a hard-working person fired over it... well, that just seems about as ANTI-Christmas as one could get. Scrooge, anyone?

Btw, my old roommate used to work at Trader Joe's, and they received a few isolated complaints about being inclusive in their HOLIDAY displays & greetings. Guess what? Nobody got fired, nothing was changed, and corporate basically laughed over the kooks who thought this was an issue. So go ahead and file that complaint, but I doubt it will actually accomplish anything in the end (other than making you look kooky).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies