Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2013, 09:44 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
She is a first year teacher, the union will not be able to influence her contract non-renewal for next year, which is essentially being fired. I would be shocked if her contract is renewed because of the publicity. If this was her only snafu that isn't what should have happened. She would have learned from her mistake. Teachers generally go into the profession because they like children, they don't want them to be hurt, and they especially don't want to be the one responsible for causing them pain. No, bathroom usage should not be tied to behavior, but new teachers make mistakes.

I know you people don't get it. What you don't understand is that teachers who have students out of their classroom too much get in trouble by their principals. The principals are concerned about kids being out of the class because they can not be properly supervised when they are wandering around the hallways and some kids have a tendency to get in trouble if given half a chance. If that particular child gets into mischief while visiting the bathroom, then the teacher will get in trouble, and the principal won't care that the child had to go to the bathroom, she will still be held accountable for allowing that child in the hallways. So, there is a tendency for teachers, especially new ones, to not want to allow their problem children to go to the bathroom. Most of the time, for elementary kids, a three time daily bathroom schedule is just fine. One of the things teachers get pretty good at, with experience, is reading kids, including the subtle pee-pee emergency facial expressions and moves.
I guess I just don't understand why first year teachers' aren't better supervised. I can understand her making a mistake; but thinking perhaps she should not have had total free reign at this stage of her career.

I do understand she may have been in a lose/lose situation.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:31 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
That's easy to say if it wasn't YOUR 7 year old humiliated when he wet his pants in front of the class...The "bad judgement call" as you call it never needed to happen..it's a result of a grown woman lording her power over little children...quite pathetic, to say the least. I know I wouldn't want a teacher with her mentality (first year teaching or not) working with my children. If she can't even make the correct decision of allowing a child to use the restroom, she really absolutely should not be working with them...she had no compassion and should be looking for another job...preferably not one with young students who should be looking at her with respect...not tears and embarrassment, and shame for what she's caused.
Never been a teacher, have you? It is not about lording power over little children. It is about trying to create a safe learning environment for all the children in that classroom. A revolving door in a classroom, with kids going in and out at will, is detrimental to creating an effective learning environment and it isn't exactly safe for the kids either. It is one thing for your 7 year-old to decide he needs to go to the bathroom 10 minutes after you leave the rest stop and quite another for thirty 7 year-olds to decide they need to go to the bathroom at various 5 minutes increments after returning from the class bathroom break. Ideally, all primary classes should have attached bathrooms, but that costs money that taxpayers don't want to pay.

Old 08-08-2013, 03:15 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,289,784 times
Oldhag1....Sorry to disappoint you but I have been a teacher...I'm not saying ALL teachers are "lording power over little ones", I'm saying in this instance , this teacher, did. I'm also very aware of how to maintain a "safe learning environment for all the children", and (here's the crazy part) I can actually do it without humiliating a little child....I really don't remember the OP's post mentioning that all 30 children in her classroom wanted to use the bathroom that day...that's really just assumption, and I doubt that that would even happen.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,880,668 times
The teacher was stupid enough said. I worked with many teachers that were power hungry. Teachers are Not always there for your child. Give me a break. Many its a job. Things are going on in their life and I've seen teachers spas on their students. Many times I went to my supervisors about it. Parents really should have access and go visit their kids schools. Lol you should see the unsupervised crap that goes on.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:31 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
If it were my kid, my kid would never see that teacher again..... She would be gone, or my kid would be in another school. When my son was small as he was left handed i made sure that wasn't going to be any issue with any teachers.

When a teacher began to use ditto sheet education I went to school and sat in on class so that teacher could just sit and do her nails. That ended the ditto sheet BS quickly.

I recall in the 50's dad would speak of females coming to work needing more rest room breaks and taking too long. My mother at the time would defend the females for being built differently. Once again there is a little problem with equality.

My current wife took on a sewing job in a sweat shop, and they pulled that 1950's bathroom break. Her 1st day was her last day. I went in person and got her check.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Teachers are overwhelmingly liberals, which is why Harrier calls public schools "liberal indoctrination center".

Harrier attended a LIC but managed to resist the indoctrination.

Harrier (a conservative) aspires to be a teacher.
I know many teachers that are conservative, my sister is one. But why do you think teachers are overwhelmingly liberal? Where are the conservative teachers. Is it because they think public schools have a liberal agenda and they don't want to be a part of that. Seriously, where are these teachers. The curriculum in elementary school is reading, writing and math. What's liberal about that.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Oldhag1....Sorry to disappoint you but I have been a teacher...I'm not saying ALL teachers are "lording power over little ones", I'm saying in this instance , this teacher, did. I'm also very aware of how to maintain a "safe learning environment for all the children", and (here's the crazy part) I can actually do it without humiliating a little child....I really don't remember the OP's post mentioning that all 30 children in her classroom wanted to use the bathroom that day...that's really just assumption, and I doubt that that would even happen.
I am quite curious as to what grade and for how long you were a teacher. No, I didn't and wouldn't do what she did but she made a mistake, people do. Your assignment of cruelty or power tripping as the motivation behind her actions, when discussing a NEW teacher, when as a teacher you have to be aware of the pressure on her to manage her classroom and be in control of all of her students at all times, is astounding. Accuse her all you want of making a poor decision that day, but as a former teacher, to declare she is unfit to be anywhere near little children in the future when she made a rookie mistake, seems cruel and heartless on your part. I get why those who have never worked in such an environment might not understand some of the motivations behind her decisions, but I haven't met the teacher yet who hasn't made their own fair share of "I wish I hadn't done that" decisions. Did you forget your first year? Did you forget how much pressure you felt to make sure your principal approved of how you managed your students? Did you forget how awful you felt when you accidently hurt some child's feelings? I am more than willing to bet that you did things your first year of teaching that, by your current lofty self-righteous standards, should have gotten you fired. It's just that your mistakes apparently didn't blow up in your face is the only difference. You were lucky, she wasn't.

Old 08-08-2013, 09:48 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,242,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Actually this is one of the things that has been suggested in our newest PBIS model, charging the kids their Eagle bucks (or whatever we're calling them) to go to their lockers during class, the bathroom, etc. This is in a high school.

Take some of the complaints up with the consultants who get paid big dollars to design these programs and the School Boards which adopt them.
No surprise there, as Liberal educators and vacuous-minded Liberal Education "consultants" are now suggesting that wrong answers on tests are now okay.

Common Core: Wrong Answer Are fine - Longer - YouTube

Has it occurred to anyone that since Carter chartered the Department of Education, and since its inception, test scores have plummeted or stagnated year-over-year?

Such statistics make it incontrovertible: The Liberal approach to education has been a major #FAIL. The imbecile who came up with a 6 year old having to "earn" bathroom breaks is an example.

Last edited by MattOTAlex; 08-08-2013 at 10:32 PM..

Old 08-08-2013, 09:57 PM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_at772 View Post
This sounds like a mother trying to escalate a situation that doesn't require escalation. The teacher is in her first year and it sounds like she just made a bad judgment call. If this is the only issue they've had so far and its been corrected then I see no reason to try to push for suspension.

The teacher is an unqualified turd.

I generally oppose forced sterilization, but in the case of this scumbag who has pioneered the concept of earned urination privileges, I have to make an exception.

Imagine being a powerless child forced to **** on yourself because this nurse Ratched wannabe doesn't like you.

What this bathroom break Nazi needs is a walk around the block by a couple of the local moms for some intense hands-on career counseling.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM

16,911 posts, read 10,598,766 times
This "teacher" should be in prison for child abuse and neglect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies