Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2012, 06:33 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
So once again I find myself asking, what lethal weapon would this killer be trapping me in a small room with?
I answered you already...you're desperate to deflect...the CRIMINAL KILLER HAS A GUN if he chooses to....pick your one item!

You WON'T! You are disingenuous and cannot truthfully answer!You are trying to change the scenario in favor of your little fantasy that someone who isn't afraid of prison or the death penalty is going to magically turn in a gun because of a LAW!

Quote:
Even crimanals can understand that.
Ever hear of three strikes? Yeah, so have the criminals...does it stop them from committing a third crime? NOPE What it DOES do is make them cause much more damage/carnage trying to EVADE the third strike! ...FAIL!

Quote:
Knee jerk reaction, there have been many killings from semiautomatic weapons, how many do you need'
There are THOUSANDS of deaths yearly from government compelled poisonous vaccines...how many deaths do YOU need?

Work on the tens of thousands of deaths cause...then we'll talk about a few dozen...

...Hear that? It's a deflection coming! Zing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2012, 06:35 PM

8,564 posts, read 10,987,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Since guns are off the table; dagger, rope, candlestick, lead pipe, or wrench.
As I said in another post, criminals do not want to get within striking range of an oponent.
They lack the skills to defend themselves in hand to hand confrontations, so all of the above you mentiooned would not work for the criminal.
Thatis why they choose guns.
Any one with half a brain can see the writing on the wall, and it spells in big letters, "GUN CONTROL IS ON THE WAY".
It has often been said the guns don't kill, people kill.
That sentence is a bunch of BS.
People with guns kill people.
I can raise my unarmed hand and point at you as though I were aiming a gun, but until I actually have a gun in that hand that is pointed at you, odds are you will remain living.
If I put a gun in that hand, aim it at you, and pull the trigger, odds are you will die.
Now, again, what is it that kills people?
Bob.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:39 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,618,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Any one with half a brain can see the writing on the wall, and it spells in big letters, "GUN CONTROL IS ON THE WAY".
There gonna try, that's for sure.

Unfortunately, the initial indication is that they're going after weapons that are rarely used in crimes, and are responsible for fewer than 1% of murders in the country.

Yeah, that makes sense.

Not.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
As I said in another post, criminals do not want to get within striking range of an oponent.
They lack the skills to defend themselves in hand to hand confrontations, so all of the above you mentiooned would not work for the criminal.
I can raise my unarmed hand and point at you as though I were aiming a gun, but until I actually have a gun in that hand that is pointed at you, odds are you will remain living.
If I put a gun in that hand, aim it at you, and pull the trigger, odds are you will die.
Bob.
Thousands of criminals everyday get within striking distance and assault, rape, mutilate, murder with weapons other than guns, etc.

Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM

4,505 posts, read 6,485,232 times
Cali-dood YOU CAN'T answer...LOL...

You cannot have an HONEST discussion! Go back to fantasy land....stay out of MY rights!

...I'l TELL you what kills people...liberal's removal of GOD from everything! Well...you won...no more morals being taught!

And now you're scratching your empty little heads wondering why people do terrible things...

Last edited by Cyborgt800; 12-18-2012 at 06:55 PM..

Old 12-18-2012, 06:59 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
Did you actually READ and UNDERSTAND the snopes article?

Let me illustrate something simple so you can comprehend it:

A PRISON is HIGHLY secured with a high number of monitoring devices, people and policies to control the population, there is NO privacy and EVERYTHING is highly controlled...this is a place where rules rule the day...You cannot get any more CONTROLLED, REGULATED and RESTRICTED than prison.

By the gun control advocates logic a prison SHOULD be the SAFEST places on earth from violence.....ARE they? Would you like to live in one for awhile?

If they can't make something so controlled safer than society how on earth can laws make us safer and yet be free?

They can't...we are RESPONSIBLE for own own safety and protection.

If I intended to do you harm, could you fend me off? I highly doubt it..90+% of you couldn't do anything but become a victim...UNLESS you had a gun! With a gun we are equal...you at least would have a chance anyway.
Um, you have no idea what "good points" I was referring to. For example, the Snopes article quite correctly pointed out that the section in the letter on Snopes where the "author" says "since the criminal can now guarantee that their prey is unarmed" is a bit misleading because as they quite correctly said, because Australia has never had a gun culture, it is highly likely that 99.9% of the Australian populace was unarmed BEFOREHAND. Thus, I doubt any criminal thought "Gee Mr and Mrs Smith of Middle Class Suburb will have got rid of their guns so now I can go and rob them" because any Australian criminal would know full well that Mr and Mrs Smiith of Middle Class Suburb probably never had guns in the first place! Also, those that actually did have guns (probably those on the land) would not have had to get rid of all their guns. Thus the previously armed Aussies were still armed to some degree (you will note from Snopes that not all guns had to be bought back) and the never armed Aussies (the majority) were still unarmed.

Btw I have no idea what the video was referring to and still don't but was just trying to point out that Australia, NZ and many other western countries never had a gun culture so if the video is anything like the letter quoted in snopes, then the points that Snopes made about that were good points.

That is why I said earlier that the US may be too far gone, i.e. you have such an entrenched gun culture that methods used in other countries may not work in the US.

Btw I have never said that all guns should be banned. I do think there should be restrictions on certain guns and it seems that there is already is to some extent. I got the impression from Dental Floss and others that some guns are restricted that don't fit "assault rifle" descriptions and vice versa, i.e. it is all a bit erratic as to what guns fit what description. Thus, it would surely benefit all of you to have a national category of what guns fit what description. I got the impression that Dental Floss found the NZ gun categories to be quite sensible ones and that he felt that the US categories were less well defined - correct me if I am wrong, Dental Floss.

Also, I don't know anything about the following and perhaps people might enlighten me - are there storage restrictions on how one must store their gun? For example, are some of the more restricted guns have laws about how they are stored? It seems to me that many of the massacres are performed by relatives of people with guns, thus the relative, who may be mentally unstable, may have easy access to guns which they wouldn't normally be allowed to buy. Correct storage may prevent that relative from being able to access guns.

Btw in regards to the OP's question, I do concede that collectors would be interested in all types of guns. However, it would certainly be a sensible precaution for those guns either to be under lock and key or at least some of them disabled.

I am not trying to be argumentative but trying to find common ground. In fact, I am neither "left wing" or "right wing".

Old 12-18-2012, 07:21 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborgt800 View Post
I answered you already...you're desperate to deflect...the CRIMINAL KILLER HAS A GUN if he chooses to....pick your one item!

You WON'T! You are disingenuous and cannot truthfully answer!You are trying to change the scenario in favor of your little fantasy that someone who isn't afraid of prison or the death penalty is going to magically turn in a gun because of a LAW!

Ever hear of three strikes? Yeah, so have the criminals...does it stop them from committing a third crime? NOPE What it DOES do is make them cause much more damage/carnage trying to EVADE the third strike! ...FAIL!

There are THOUSANDS of deaths yearly from government compelled poisonous vaccines...how many deaths do YOU need?

Work on the tens of thousands of deaths cause...then we'll talk about a few dozen...

...Hear that? It's a deflection coming! Zing!
I wish I could reference who you were replying too.

The 3 strikes comment caught my eye. The bad guy I shot in the 80 had severed time for 6 strikes each, was wanted for 6 more strikes (bench warrants ) I was victim #7 where things went wrong for mister bad guy, but while he was shot he escaped. it was my first time and i was inexperienced... But that same night he was caught for crime 8 and not only did my shot end up putting that scum bag in a wheel chair for life the cops broke both his thumbs for choking the neighbor ladies infant.

That 3 strikes is BS.... but you seem to know that....

Old 12-18-2012, 07:23 PM

1,880 posts, read 2,310,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Thousands of criminals everyday get within striking distance and assault, rape, mutilate, murder with weapons other than guns, etc.
I think the thing with guns is that it is both a popular murder weapon and popular suicide weapon. Thus, in situations where both murder and suicide are combined, eg in massacres where often the assailant wants to take as many people out as he can before he offs himself, then guns are the "perfect" weapon of choice.

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Bob.
Probably not, because the poly tics have not yet forgotten the spanking they got last time. Not to mention the economy is in the tank, and Obama care will require a boat load of money no one has, and that taxes.......

Even so the Govt can't take what it can't give and the Govt didn't give us the 2nd a higher power did...

And then what is another paper tiger law that can not and will not be enforced.

We are sick of paper tiger laws that just create killing zones....

All you gun grabbers did making a Gun Free Zone was make a killing zone..... Epic Fail the proof is in plain view..

No one hears your wants and stupid false promises anymore.

You gun grabbers couldn't protect a dog from fleas. Just shut up

Old 12-18-2012, 07:28 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,445,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Since guns are off the table; dagger, rope, candlestick, lead pipe, or wrench.
Quote:
Tell that to Mr. Boddy. I'm sure his family feels much better knowing that the criminal was a coward.

Quote:
Now you're just pandering and generalizing. Criminals have guns because it's a convenient tool that does the job. No other reason at all. You can drive a nail with a wrench, but you really want to use a hammer. You can saw wood with a pocket knife, but you'd really prefer a Circular Saw.

Even if we somehow managed to get rid of every gun in the world, and there was no way to get another one, "criminals," would simply go on to another weapon. There are hundreds of instances in history where certain types of weapons were banned, yet that didn't stop criminals from getting something just as effective. Just look at Feudal Japan as a (repeated) example, swords are banned, so what did bandits use? Staffs, cudgels, sticks, and rocks.

Humans are going to keep killing humans, that is the sad fact of our stupid species. Short of mind chipping everyone and pumping us full of mood altering drugs, it's going to continue to happen no matter what. Gun Control, whatever form new laws take, will only salve the emotional torture that the victims families are going through right now for so long.

The even more unfortunate truth, and one that many people in this forum seem to forget, is that old saying "If guns are outlawed, only criminals will have guns." Restrictive laws like Japan's will only create a huge black market, and "DIY" gun culture. You'll see zip guns being built in home garages and sold on street corners alongside meth and cocaine. We'll see news stories "Feds seize 15,000 guns at border crossing. Estimate .001% reduction in the number of weapons!"

What you will not see is any reduction in unfortunate tragedies like this, and many fear, you will in fact see a drastic INCREASE in such.

That is why the Pro-gun crowd and the anti-gun crowd disagree. Both sides are combatting an unknown fear - both of which are rooted in reality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies