Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 08:04 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Take a moment to lookup sights such as gunssavelives.net or keepandbears.com
Read some of the storys about the average person using a gun to stop a crime. "It takes A good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun."
I liked the story of a man using his revolver to shoot back at a criminal on a shooting spree; saving a cops life. oh yeah the cop was pinned down while holding his ar-15.
Some years ago I was able to stop a killing. A man stabbing of a woman, the guy had a knife, I had a gun. you know the old saying dont we.

For every heroic gun stops a crimianl story at least 60 Americans will end their lives by their own hand and 80 will terminate a personal or family dispute with extreme prejudice. Surely you most agree this is a fair trade and anything that relieves this poor world of even one stupid American is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2013, 08:15 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
For every heroic gun stops a crimianl story at least 60 Americans will end their lives by their own hand and 80 will terminate a personal or family dispute with extreme prejudice. Surely you most agree this is a fair trade and anything that relieves this poor world of even one stupid American is a good thing.
I see math and google are not your strong suit.

Old 04-19-2013, 08:25 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

The idea that you need guns to protect yourself from our government here in the United States is so embarrassingly paranoid that its not worthy of discussion by intelligent rational people.

Not really. But once you realize that it's time to protect yourself from the government, it's too late.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:41 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark6052 View Post
Take a moment to lookup sights such as gunssavelives.net or keepandbears.com
Read some of the storys about the average person using a gun to stop a crime. "It takes A good guy with a gun to stop a bad guy with a gun."
I liked the story of a man using his revolver to shoot back at a criminal on a shooting spree; saving a cops life. oh yeah the cop was pinned down while holding his ar-15.
Some years ago I was able to stop a killing. A man stabbing of a woman, the guy had a knife, I had a gun. you know the old saying dont we.

Wow you have come up with some amazing math

Gun saves - 160
gun deaths 33,000

Even seat belts had a far better record

keep people from barfing when they are drunk and you could save 382, far more than gun rescues.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:49 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Wow you have come up with some amazing math

Gun saves - 160
gun deaths 33,000

Even seat belts had a far better record

keep people from barfing when they are drunk and you could save 382, far more than gun rescues.
1.5 million people are saved by guns every year according to the justice department under Clinton. Your 1,499,840 on people saved every year.

Guns Save Lives - Wayne Allyn Root - [page]

Old 04-20-2013, 02:54 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
A large population of rural USA is armed, it is also very safe.
The rural population here is also safe, but I can't imagine that it would become safer if everyone was armed- actually a large percentage would have guns in the house but armed defense has never really been a thing in this country. I can't remember the last time when someone was killed in a home invasion incident (where those involved weren't known to each other). It would happen but is rare.

Old 04-20-2013, 03:12 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
And, the good guys won yesterday in Watertown MA.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:31 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
The rural population here is also safe, but I can't imagine that it would become safer if everyone was armed- actually a large percentage would have guns in the house but armed defense has never really been a thing in this country. I can't remember the last time when someone was killed in a home invasion incident (where those involved weren't known to each other). It would happen but is rare.

Maybe that's because criminals know the house has guns.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:27 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
So from an historical standpoint, do you unregulated gun proponents believe Wyatt Earp and other early West marshalls failed to quell violence by not allowing guns to be brought into town?
There is a "slight" difference. Earp ENFORCED the law. Wash, D.C was called the murder Capitol of the country for many years and guns were OUTLAWED.

What is the murder rate in Detroit? What is the law there?

When you can guarantee the bad guys won't have guns, then you can ask the good guys to give up theirs.

ALL the laws in the world are useless unless they are enforced.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:31 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Prove it.

During the Clinton admin the FBI stated that guns were used over 1.5 MILLION time a YEAR for self defense. I think the number is around 2,5 MILLION today.

I don't think over 1,5 million people are killed either by accident or because of a family dispute or any other reason you can come up with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies