Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2013, 02:02 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Marriage is not only about sex. Sexual attraction does not entail marriage.
In many (probably most) cultures, even romance between young people has no status in marriage at all.

A man being sexually attracted to other men does not entail the privilege of marriage, which is a social concept and a legal concept.

I don't want to talk about moral issues here but from a legal perspective, it creates many problems. For example, we will have to give green cards to foreign men who marry American men.
Thank God. I can't wait for my best friend Ben to move back to the US. For the last 6 years, we've lost him to the Czech Republic (he's a brilliant research scientist (Fulbright Scholar) who would be a wonderful contributor to our scientific community and to our economy). When gay people finally get equal rights, he can finally sponsor his husband for a spousal green card and they can make a home here where they've always wanted to.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
You are denying facts.

You self identify as a liberal.

Why am I not surprised?
If I asserted that non-consensual marriages are being enforced, then why the hell can't you quote where I said it? It should be very, very simple.

Please, quote the sentence or two in which I said it, and then in a sentence or two of your own words explain it to me.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:07 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,021,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Thank God. I can't wait for my best friend Ben to move back to the US. For the last 6 years, we've lost him to the Czech Republic (and he's a brilliant research scientist who would be a wonderful contributor to our scientific community and to out economy). When gay people finally get equal right, he can finally sponsor his husband for a spousal green card and they can make a home here where they've always wanted to.
Why can't he do his work in the Czech Republic?

A young lady whom I consider my niece, and she accepts that also, lives in Slovakia, which if you know your history was once part of Chechoslovakia.

This lady, whom both of us consider each other as family members, acknolwkedges herself as a Catholic. I was once baptized as a Catholic, but no longer identify myself as one.

Why do you deny our mutual point of view as being valid?

Are you that intolerant?

Old 01-04-2013, 02:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
Thank God. I can't wait for my best friend Ben to move back to the US. For the last 6 years, we've lost him to the Czech Republic (and he's a brilliant research scientist who would be a wonderful contributor to our scientific community and to out economy). When gay people finally get equal right, he can finally sponsor his husband for a spousal green card and they can make a home here where they've always wanted to.
{gay} and {researcher} are probably 0.5% of the immigrants, at best.

Can you imagine how many Mexicans will find a new way to obtain a green card?
And you know what? They can divorce as many times as they need to.

Old 01-04-2013, 02:14 AM

Quote:

So your answer is to entitle heterosexuals with the right to spousal green cards for their foreign spouses, but to discriminate against gays by not allowing us to have the same right for our spouses?

If you're so concerned about Mexicans abusing spousal green cards to get into the country, shouldn't you support the opposite? If gays could have spousal green cards but straights couldn't, there would be considerably fewer spousal green cards available for Mexicans (fewer gays than straights), and even better, the ones that got in wouldn't be popping out babies (since they're homosexual and all).

Old 01-04-2013, 02:21 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,763,680 times
Quote:
So your answer is to entitle heterosexuals with the right to spousal green cards for their foreign spouses, but to discriminate against gays by not allowing us to have the same right for our spouses?

If you're so concerned about Mexicans abusing spousal green cards to get into the country, shouldn't you support the opposite? If gays could have spousal green cards but straights couldn't, there would be considerably fewer spousal green cards available for Mexicans (fewer gays than straights), and even better, the ones that got in wouldn't be popping out babies (since they're homosexual and all).
Your logic is so weird.
I believe a spouse of an American citizen should be allowed to live in the US permanently.
But I do not think it is a good idea to extend it to gay couples.

Women usually value their fame more than men do. A woman with bad fame can hardly get married.
You cannot say the same thing to men (straight or gay).

Old 01-04-2013, 02:24 AM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
You are comparing the dispicable act of rape to same sex marriage?

Huh?

O.M.G.

If you aren't going to read the posts QUOTED, please refrain from responding at all. I never did such a thing, Western Pilgrim did - and both hammertime & I are merely pointing out the lunacy of this connection HE made. So thank you for proving our point, that rape is in no way related to the issue of gay marriage.

Now please... either apologize for your misunderstanding & direct those comments at WP instead, or stay out of this line of conversation. Because clearly you're having some trouble following it!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:27 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
I am considering earning a California teacher's credential, and I will choose to teach history.

I plan on ignoring SB-48.

Too bad the tyrannical California Teacher's Association won't allow me to teach in public schools without joining their union - but perhaps I can work on changing it from the inside.
Gave up on law school I see.

Quote:

And consider this. I contend legalized gay marriage would decrease the number of fraudulent spousal green cards and the number of opportunities to obtain a fraudulent spousal green card. Imagine you're a Mexican who wants to find an American to sham-marry for a green card. Right now, who's more likely to agree to that: a straight person or a gay person?

I would think most straight people wouldn't even consider it - they have in their mind that they're going to someday marry their sweetheart. Now most gay people in this country can't marry their sweetheart - the law forbids it. They don't have that same deterrent. When asked, they might think: "Well, I can't marry my boyfriend anyway, and I'm kinda pissed off that the US treats me like that, so sure, why the hell not. Let's get fake married for your green card."

Let gays marry, and that temptation goes away - we'd rather not get sham married if the prospect of marrying the man or women we actually love and want to marry is ahead of us.

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Your logic is so weird.
I believe a spouse of an American citizen should be allowed to live in the US permanently.
But I do not think it is a good idea to extend it to gay couples.

Women usually value their fame more than men do. A woman with bad fame can hardly get married.
You cannot say the same thing to men (straight or gay).
And you're calling hammertime's logic weird? I can't even decipher what you're saying, let alone follow any logic in here... what the heck do you mean by a woman's "fame?" I am not famous, and doubt that will stop me from finding a husband. LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies