Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2013, 09:27 PM

3,550 posts, read 2,558,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
What?

I believe that all business owners should follow the law. How is that bigoted?

You still haven't shown me one of my posts proving that I'm an anti Semite as you have repeatedly called me.
because you made a law, knowing that it effectively bans orthodox jews from owning businesses.
to give you a analogy that would suit your liberal "ideas"
what would your opinion be about a law that is phrased "only couples who are able to conceive children together should be allowed to get married". Is that bigoted in your view? It also stops "straight" couples from getting married if they can't have children thus doesn't discriminate even according to liberals.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Didn't the Illinois Senate Committee pass in a vote a bill clearing the first hurdle legalizing same-sex marriage in that state today? Isn't it going to the full Illinois Senate within the next week or so?

As I said before, love will triumph over hate.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
But they're happy to sell diamonds to all the other sinners? Why isn't that also a violation of their religion?

I don't know the Jewish (orthodox or not) religious texts ... but I am seriously interested ... can you point us to the wording of what makes selling a diamond to a same-sex couple, specifically, a violation of their religion?
because I'm only not allowed to sell diamonds to someone who will use the diamond for a sin. so I would be forbidden to sell it to a Jew who will use it in a intermarriage. I can sell it to a murderer (which is worse then intermarriage) who will use it to get married (to a member of the opposite sex) because the problem is helping someone do a sin.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
So long as your fun doesn't add to the tax burden i don't really care....

But it all stops at tax funding for things like AIDs and HIV... You get that you just die in peace. Not federal funding.
How is HIV/AIDs a gay rights issue? Straight people get that too (in much higher numbers worldwide), in case you weren't aware.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
So you do define your religion based upon the actions of those with whom you do commerce.

That's insanity.
no my religion is defined by EVERYTHING I DO. from eating, to sleeping, to family life, 24 hours a day seven days a week. how I do commerce is in fact more important then synagogue in many ways. Honesty in commerce is extremely important to Judaism as is the prohibition of helping other people sin.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
because I'm only not allowed to sell diamonds to someone who will use the diamond for a sin. so I would be forbidden to sell it to a Jew who will use it in a intermarriage. I can sell it to a murderer (which is worse then intermarriage) who will use it to get married (to a member of the opposite sex) because the problem is helping someone do a sin.
I'm consulting my Orthodox friends to check this story, because it sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

(I'll let you all know what they say!)

Besides, as we've already explained to you before, these laws only apply to certain types of businesses - generally those deemed "public services." I'm pretty sure a privately-owned jewelry shop would be free to discriminate, as despicable as that is. So nobody is stopping you from selling diamonds or not selling diamonds to whoever you choose.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I believe same-sex marriage will become legal throughout the US and the western world eventually.

Good will triumph over evil.

Love conquers all ... and that is what it is all about: Love victorious over hate, prejudice, and bigotry.

will never happen in Israel. (the recognition of outside "marriages" happened by the court but if they ever allowed a official "wedding" to take place their would be a civil war)

Old 01-03-2013, 09:37 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,149,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jew View Post
So you won't sell it to someone who's going to give it to his mistress?

Tell me another one.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
Good. Continue to discriminate. I hope you end up broke, homeless, and with no support system. You are probably the most vile individual I've run across on this forum, or any other for that matter. I hope your hate is returned to you 100x.

PS... I'm not left. I'm not right. I'm impossible to classify.
guess what Jews have our own support system that is more effective then the governments.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm consulting my Orthodox friends to check this story, because it sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

(I'll let you all know what they say!)

Besides, as we've already explained to you before, these laws only apply to certain types of businesses - generally those deemed "public services." I'm pretty sure a privately-owned jewelry shop would be free to discriminate, as despicable as that is. So nobody is stopping you from selling diamonds or not selling diamonds to whoever you choose.
do you want me to provide the halachic proof?
ask them about the prohibitions of lifnai ever and misayaia. Also Chillul Hashem could be applicable here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies