Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,665,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Don't let facts interfere with a good GOP hates women diatribe. The House Did reauthorize the VAWA, but the Senate added special provisions for LGBT 'victims and survivors.' The House rejected the Senate bill, so no bill.
So apparently it's OK for gay men and women to be beaten up or killed in their own homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
domestic violence in this country is 50/50. they found after the domestic violence law that too many women were being sent to jail. it was intended to be a anti male violence law, did not work that way. we do things different in america, guys are not necessarily the dominate figure in the home.
It's about a 7 women to 1 man ratio from what I understand---but yes, men are the victims of domestic violence also.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:28 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,922,658 times
If ya wife regularly whips your ass ya just might wanna hit the gym.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,972,623 times
I'd have to see the bill as presented. I have learned that so much excess pork goes into some of these bills that, if passed, would create even more problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
"For the first time since 1994, the Violence Against Women Act is no more. It was approved by the Senate in April but now House GOP have blocked the bill.

Proponents of the law hope to revive the law in the new Congress, starting from scratch, but in the meantime, there will be far fewer resources available for state and local governments to combat domestic violence."

Why do the GOP hate women so much?

GOP Blocks Violence Against Women Act - The Daily Beast

Old 01-03-2013, 02:32 PM

2,428 posts, read 2,996,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
She can go to a hospital and get treated. If she doesn't want to report it, then there is probably a reason including culpability (it was provoked) or she wants the relationship to survive. I think in both cases her wishes should be honored.
What exactly does a woman have to do to provoke a rape or assault that would make her culpable? Are you REALLY saying that rape and assault of a woman by her partner can be justified?? I think I feel sick now.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:38 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,522,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSpeak View Post
So they are ok with the lgbt community not having any type of protection or help, or is it that they just dislike them so much that they would rather them die. Personally I think it should've been passed and these dinosaurs should be extinct. Complete and utter trash !
fyi. LGBT women and men are covered by the VAWA. You might think gay and lesbian people aren't 'men' and 'women' and Always need their own special provisions.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:45 PM

1,780 posts, read 3,935,844 times
Quote:
I think it actually does cover both sexes. ... The majority of victims of domestic violence and crimes like rape are women, but there are men who are affected as well.
Hi. I'm just getting started reading this thread, so please excuse if this has been covered. Don't want to let this thought pass:

IMHO it is the whole of society that is affected by domestic violence; men, women and children, from generation to generation even. DV diminishes everyone.

This seems to be the point that is rarely understood by the opposition and not often mentioned by the proponents of laws against it. It is a real shame that we actually need laws against DV, specifically.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
fyi. LGBT women and men are covered by the VAWA. You might think gay and lesbian people aren't 'men' and 'women' and Always need their own special provisions.
Maybe they were covered, but apparently one of the reasons the bill has been languishing since October 2011 is because Republican lawmakers are resisting including LGBT or Native American victims in the bill.

Violence Against Women Act Debacle: Why Congress Should Be More Diverse - Tara Culp-Ressler - The Atlantic

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/201...s-watery-vawa/

Old 01-03-2013, 04:05 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,470,603 times
Quote:
So apparently it's OK for gay men and women to be beaten up or killed in their own homes.
That is because EVERYONE IS ALREADY COVERED under Domestic Violence

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,527,528 times
Quote:
It's about a 7 women to 1 man ratio from what I understand---but yes, men are the victims of domestic violence also.
your understanding is not correct. it is what was taught by mandated parenting classes 30 years ago. utterly false info. see CPS mandated parenting classes since 1998 courtesy your local county welfare dept. 30 years ago, minorities were excluded from the stats giving a distorted image of overall female behavior and the huge variance of response to violence in those communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies