Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 09:18 PM

1,596 posts, read 1,159,362 times

Advertisements

Conservatives are ruled by their amygdalas.

Their afraid that pot would liberate their fears.

Liberal Lies their fears?

They've had glimpses of what lies repressed, and they don't want full view.

They figure they'd get arrested if others saw the view.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 05:16 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,764,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJJG2012 View Post
I think legalizing all drugs would expand the ability to prevent overdoses & HIV from dirty needles. I've read about those safe injection sites. Last I knew Vancouver had one. I think they have medical people, maybe nurses, that know what to do to prevent deaths.

If the price of addicting illegal drugs was real cheap, or free to those with no money, & supplied by govt, it world save taxpayers money & reduce crime. But, yes, if all are legalized there needs to be places where addicts would be watched to reduce ODs. Also, without fear of arrests, more addicts might be willing to try treatment of 1 kind or another.
You have a point and thank you for the info on Vancouver. I didn't know about that and that's worth a shot if it's financially feasible.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:03 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is figure out how to get people off of drugs not how to get more on them.
Sure. As soon as we can stop people from using legalized heroin like Oxy, and Vicodin. Not to mention getting people off of anti-depressants, all of which have the potential for overdose, horrible side effects, including nasty withdrawl when their use is stopped suddenly. Name the last person who has overdosed from smoking to much pot! Furthermore, there is no proof that pot is physically addictive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sorry, that argument doesn't quite float when you look at alchohol, which is legal, versus marijuana, which is illegal.

Look at all the interesting little side effects that alcohol brings to the party:

~Induced rage.
~Systemic poisoning (that is what a hangover is, after all)
~Liver disease.
~Kidney disease.
~Diabetic coma (I've seen beer cause this one for a relative)

Now let's look at the side effects of marijuana:
~Increased appetite.

Notice I listed the ones that these two substances don't share. They both have effects like reducing your ability to focus, but when it comes to side effects marijuana is much safer than alcohol.
Every other drug that I know whether it's OTC, prescription or illegal has the potential for overdose. Pot is the only substance where you'd fall asleep before you overdose.

Quote:
Notice you left out the negative effects of using weed....

"Effects on Life
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a per-son's existing problems worse. In fact, heavy marijuana users generally re-port lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relation-ship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar back-grounds. For example, marijuana use is associated with a higher likelihood of dropping out from school. Several studies also associate workers' mariju-ana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' com-pensation claims, and job turnover."

"
Marijuana use can have a variety of adverse, short- and long-term effects, especially on cardiopulmonary and mental health.
Marijuana raises heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in older individuals or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities."

From Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse

Marijuana use impacts memory, brain function, heart rate, heart rhythm, impairs judgment, lowers IQ, causes resipitory illnesses...it's even linked to development of psychosis later in life and development of testicular cancer in young men...etc, etc, etc...(I'd keep going but I don't have all week and I posted the link above).

As I said, getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is get people off of drugs (Including alcohol) not make them easier to get.

The point is there is no need to get high. Therefore there is no need for drugs to be legal. They serve no purpose. It's bad enough we're stuck with alcohol. We don't need more.

Just say no to drugs. Unless your doctor prescribes them. Seriously, you're messing with your brain here and you only get one brain.
How prohibistionist of you! Who are you to decide what people put in their body? You're saying to only take drugs only if prescribed by a doctor??? Some of them are biggest drug dealers I know when it comes to peddling Big Pharma crap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
And that makes little or no sense at all. And yes sadly enough Americans do have drug problems. They want to throw their hard earned or stolen money on drugs, so be it.

So much of our drugs come from the cartels crossing the borders.

And personally so ya all know, i am proud republician and could care less what others wish to do with their own lifes, not my business, nor do i care.

I have many friends and yes some family members who love pot, not for me to judge.

I am not their judge, and will never be the jury.
Yes, Americans love their drugs, be it marijuana, heroin, or the legalized pain pills. We are a medicated society. But, nevertheless, it should be our choice as to what we do or do not partake in so long as no harm has been done to others in the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montguy View Post
Those of the more socially conservative/religious variety seem to view personal liberty only as it pertains to religious freedom for those who follow Christian denominations; nonetheless, it takes a lot more than that to legitimately sell yourself as being in favor of personal liberty.

Marijuana use is an act of irreligious, unbiblical morality in the eyes of many people who, unfortunately, offer votes in the U.S. Congress.

I can't see anything changing--the states have to begin acting en masse.

Well, I'm Christian, and I find nothing wrong with marijuana use. In fact, I feel God put it here for a reason, and given that there are many wonderful uses medically and industrial, it only reinforces that belief. I see nothing immoral about it, and in fact find it immoral that greed, lies, and propaganda are the reason for it's prohibition!

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,214,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.

There is too much money in the drug war for both D and R's and a system of police and prisons that depend on the revenues.

I think all drugs should be legal and dispensed by a Pharmacist with a prescription of course...

Old 01-27-2013, 01:19 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
If marijuana is legalized, other drugs should be as well.

I think they are all bad but if you are going to legal, go legal.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:28 PM

2,008 posts, read 3,327,851 times
Quote:
Getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is figure out how to get people off of drugs not how to get more on them.
This is true, no action goes without reaction. But at this point the process of getting people off drugs has a greater and more dangerous impact than letting people do drugs. It's expensive, the punishments are highly unnecessary and putting people in prison doesn't tend to make them any easier to get along with. Besides, human beings have been altering their consciousness for as long as we can tell. Given that most naturally occurring drugs are much older than humanity drug use by humans is probably as natural as eating and procreation.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:38 PM

19,649 posts, read 12,235,883 times
Let's make weed and other drugs legal but also have mandatory drug testing for recipients of government programs. Then there is workplace drug testing too. So being a legal stoner druggie wouldn't get you too far then.

The push to make recreational pot legal is really about promoting liberalism. Get the kids to be ok with smoking weed and being lazy hippies.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,322,756 times
Quote:
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.
This may have been already stated, but true conservatives (I'm a libertarian) believe that all drugs should be decriminalized. It's up the individual to decide whether to use drugs or not, AND there should be no societal "safety net" who take the gamble of using drugs and end up strung out, dependent, or homeless.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:48 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
So all conservatives oppose legalizing marijuana, just so you can start a thread with that strawman and complain about them? I'm conservative and if any state wants to legalize pot, it's fine by me. I expect the hypocritical anti-smoking lobby to lose interest in opposing pot smoking.

Old 01-27-2013, 01:56 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
This may have been already stated, but true conservatives (I'm a libertarian) believe that all drugs should be decriminalized. It's up the individual to decide whether to use drugs or not, AND there should be no societal "safety net" who take the gamble of using drugs and end up strung out, dependent, or homeless.
the problem with drug legalization, is some new drugs are so bad for people, that by the time the unsuspecting buyer learns just how bad the drug he bought is, it may be too late, he's addicted. That's the main impetus behind banning hard drugs, every generation of children is a new generation of young, curious kids, who are utterly ignorant to just how addictive and destructive some drugs are. So we just ban their manufacture or selling altogether.

Take some types of heroin, they have no other value then to addict people to them. I don't know if it is in fact true, but I heard some heroin is so addictive, that dealers give you the first one free, because one time is enough to addict most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies