Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 10:50 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,220,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What book are you reading? The bible may say though shall not kill, but then immediately goes into the reasons and tikes to kill people, and also glorifies those deaths as being for God.

There is far more death an murder ordained by god in the bible, then is restricted.
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
umm yeah i think you need to re-read it.

"If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abominable deed; they have forfeited their lives." (Leviticus 20:13 NAB)

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17 NAB)

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 NAB)

i could go on ....
The bible in taken in its entirety does not promote murder
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 01:17 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,727,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
The bible in taken in its entirety does not promote murder
what the hell does "Taken in its entirety" mean ?

is that just some convoluted way of not taking responsibility for large portions of what's written in your holy book ?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:08 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,708,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Dunno. Why are liberals so against personal liberty whan it comes to the 2nd Amendment and why do they love nanny government?

Next dumb question?
There's a thought. Legalize marijuana for recreational use and remove all restrictions on firearms ownership. Make both sides happy. We can call it a bi-partysan bill.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:24 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
Mj is very different. I used to be for legalizing all and just let people od if they want until a five year old told the story about his mom od'ing and I could hear the trauma in his voice. He watched it happen. That poor kid will never forget that.
I do agree though that mj should be legalized now.

I think legalizing all drugs would expand the ability to prevent overdoses & HIV from dirty needles. I've read about those safe injection sites. Last I knew Vancouver had one. I think they have medical people, maybe nurses, that know what to do to prevent deaths.

If the price of addicting illegal drugs was real cheap, or free to those with no money, & supplied by govt, it world save taxpayers money & reduce crime. But, yes, if all are legalized there needs to be places where addicts would be watched to reduce ODs. Also, without fear of arrests, more addicts might be willing to try treatment of 1 kind or another.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I agree with conservatives on many issues but this one makes no sense. They will fight the legalization of a safe substance just as hard as they will same sex marriage and abortion. The thing is, there is no religious ban on marijuana usage so it can't be fought from that angle. They are for personal liberties until it comes to something pleasurable then they fight it tooth and nail. Just like alcohol and tobacco, marijuana should be a personal choice as long as one doesnt get behind the wheel while under the influence. We need a serious libertarian candidate who will bring back the principles this country was founded on.

Getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is figure out how to get people off of drugs not how to get more on them.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is figure out how to get people off of drugs not how to get more on them.
Sorry, that argument doesn't quite float when you look at alchohol, which is legal, versus marijuana, which is illegal.

Look at all the interesting little side effects that alcohol brings to the party:

~Induced rage.
~Systemic poisoning (that is what a hangover is, after all)
~Liver disease.
~Kidney disease.
~Diabetic coma (I've seen beer cause this one for a relative)

Now let's look at the side effects of marijuana:
~Increased appetite.

Notice I listed the ones that these two substances don't share. They both have effects like reducing your ability to focus, but when it comes to side effects marijuana is much safer than alcohol.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:21 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Sorry, that argument doesn't quite float when you look at alchohol, which is legal, versus marijuana, which is illegal.

Look at all the interesting little side effects that alcohol brings to the party:

~Induced rage.
~Systemic poisoning (that is what a hangover is, after all)
~Liver disease.
~Kidney disease.
~Diabetic coma (I've seen beer cause this one for a relative)

Now let's look at the side effects of marijuana:
~Increased appetite.

Notice I listed the ones that these two substances don't share. They both have effects like reducing your ability to focus, but when it comes to side effects marijuana is much safer than alcohol.
Notice you left out the negative effects of using weed....

"Effects on Life
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a per-son's existing problems worse. In fact, heavy marijuana users generally re-port lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relation-ship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar back-grounds. For example, marijuana use is associated with a higher likelihood of dropping out from school. Several studies also associate workers' mariju-ana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' com-pensation claims, and job turnover."

"
Marijuana use can have a variety of adverse, short- and long-term effects, especially on cardiopulmonary and mental health.
Marijuana raises heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in older individuals or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities."

From Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse

Marijuana use impacts memory, brain function, heart rate, heart rhythm, impairs judgment, lowers IQ, causes resipitory illnesses...it's even linked to development of psychosis later in life and development of testicular cancer in young men...etc, etc, etc...(I'd keep going but I don't have all week and I posted the link above).

As I said, getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is get people off of drugs (Including alcohol) not make them easier to get.

The point is there is no need to get high. Therefore there is no need for drugs to be legal. They serve no purpose. It's bad enough we're stuck with alcohol. We don't need more.

Just say no to drugs. Unless your doctor prescribes them. Seriously, you're messing with your brain here and you only get one brain.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 01-23-2013 at 07:39 PM..

Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,440,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Would you like to explain to ALL of US why Obama is closing medical marijuana shops and has done nothing about the drug cartel crossing our borders?

Isn't it those on the left that said Americans have a drug problem?? Nice try blaming those that have said very little.

And that makes little or no sense at all. And yes sadly enough Americans do have drug problems. They want to throw their hard earned or stolen money on drugs, so be it.

So much of our drugs come from the cartels crossing the borders.

And personally so ya all know, i am proud republician and could care less what others wish to do with their own lifes, not my business, nor do i care.

I have many friends and yes some family members who love pot, not for me to judge.

I am not their judge, and will never be the jury.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Notice you left out the negative effects of using weed....
No, I left out the effects that had similarities with the effects of alcohol... as I stated in my post.
Both have adverse effects, marijuana simply has fewer of them.

Quote:
"Effects on Life
Research clearly demonstrates that marijuana has the potential to cause problems in daily life or make a per-son's existing problems worse. In fact, heavy marijuana users generally re-port lower life satisfaction, poorer mental and physical health, relation-ship problems, and less academic and career success compared to their peers who came from similar back-grounds. For example, marijuana use is associated with a higher likelihood of dropping out from school. Several studies also associate workers' mariju-ana smoking with increased absences, tardiness, accidents, workers' com-pensation claims, and job turnover."
These are also the effects of alcohol. In fact, these are the effects of any drug addiction, no matter what substance it is.

Quote:
"Marijuana use can have a variety of adverse, short- and long-term effects, especially on cardiopulmonary and mental health.
Marijuana raises heart rate by 20-100 percent shortly after smoking; this effect can last up to 3 hours. In one study, it was estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug. This may be due to increased heart rate as well as the effects of marijuana on heart rhythms, causing palpitations and arrhythmias. This risk may be greater in older individuals or in those with cardiac vulnerabilities."
Once again, you are listing effects that can also be attributed to alcohol.

From Marijuana | National Institute on Drug Abuse

Quote:
Marijuana use impacts memory, brain function, heart rate, heart rhythm, impairs judgment, lowers IQ, causes resipitory illnesses...it's even linked to development of psychosis later in life and development of testicular cancer in young men...etc, etc, etc...(I'd keep going but I don't have all week and I posted the link above).
Hmmm, alcohol also affects memory, brain function, heart rate, heart rythm, impairs judgement, lowers IQ... and it causes more organ problems than marijuana does. Liver, stomach, kidneys, all are affected by alcohol. It also causes psychosis in later life, and ...surprise.... alcohol causes cancer.

Quote:
As I said, getting high impacts more than just you. What we need to do is get people off of drugs (Including alcohol) not make them easier to get.

The point is there is no need to get high. Therefore there is no need for drugs to be legal. They serve no purpose. It's bad enough we're stuck with alcohol. We don't need more.

Just say no to drugs. Unless your doctor prescribes them. Seriously, you're messing with your brain here and you only get one brain.
Making something illegal is not the path to "get people off of drugs." It didn't work with Prohibition, and it doesn't work with marijuana or any other illegal substance. The only things that the "War on Drugs" actually manages to accomplish are detrimental to society. It has cost us trillions of dollars, increased the amount of gun crime in our country, put a whole bunch of young kids in prison who shouldn't be there, and made it possible for Druglords to live in a fashion that is well beyond what the average middle class, law-abiding family can afford.

If you want to get people off of drugs, stop treating drug addicts as criminals and start treating them as people with a problem. Offer assistance, not incarceration. Ignore the idiots that are telling you how bad marijuana is, when it actually isn't any worse than alcohol.

I actually find it sort of funny that you are telling people to only take drugs that the doctor prescribes when there are a whole lot of those drugs that have worse effects than either alcohol or cannibis.

Exactly why is marijuana illegal in the first place? Do some research on that and you'll shortly figure out that the war on drugs is a bogus form of corporate protectionism.

Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,938,961 times
Those of the more socially conservative/religious variety seem to view personal liberty only as it pertains to religious freedom for those who follow Christian denominations; nonetheless, it takes a lot more than that to legitimately sell yourself as being in favor of personal liberty.

Marijuana use is an act of irreligious, unbiblical morality in the eyes of many people who, unfortunately, offer votes in the U.S. Congress.

I can't see anything changing--the states have to begin acting en masse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies