Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2013, 11:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
One thing I want to point out is that, in Connecticut, people are very reserved. We are private, don't sensationalize, don't exaggerate and generally shy away from cameras. We frown upon people snapping photos just to make a story. The media recognized this immediately, and left Connecticut pretty quickly. Why? Very few people were allowing them to capitalize on their story. Also, I know firsthand, that teachers and staff have been asked to refrain from conducting interviews, so students don't see them on TV, thus reliving the experience.

The Connecticut State Police are known for being among the most professional LEA in the nation. They have been tight lipped about their findings, as they should be. More information will come out as the investigation comes to a close.

The evening of the tragedy, I went to a mass in downtown Sandy Hook. When walking to and from the mass, reporters were begging for an interview from everyone and anyone. Not one person stopped to grant them a story. Not one.

This is a prime example of the people of Connecticut exhibiting class, maintaining a professional and determined demeanor, and not allowing the media to exploit them.

Our country gets by on sensationalism, and when people are refused facts, they resort to their own, skewed conclusions, as seen in this thread.
Thanks for this post. Don't expect it to make a lick of difference in the already made up minds of the OP and her followers.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:10 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
But you haven't specifically identified one non-MM source that you consider more credible than the MM. Surely you can select one out of your stable of "multiple sources."
Multiple sources means multiple sources. I'm sorry you don't seem to understand. I'm not going to explain any further.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:11 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
This is the sort of news we get - this article (released within the past 24 hours) about Nancy Lanza. Please note that her "friend" who is the source of this information, does not want to be identified. Why not? I mean, Nancy Lanza and her son are dead. Why not give your name and your relationship to the deceased?

Friend: Nancy Lanza did not secure guns in spite of worries about son - UPI.com

Here are some more "interviews with her friends." Notice that not ONE of her "friends" is identified by name. The only two people identified by name are the former classmate of the shooter and a guy who owns a landscaping business, who is NOT identified as a friend of Nancy's. All the people who claim to be friends refuse to be identified.

Shooter's mother wanted her son to fit in, friend says - CNN.com

Also note that the IMPLICATION that Nancy played cards with the women in the neighborhood is there, but actually, that's not what the source said. I've heard and read this assertion repeatedly in the news - that Nancy was part of a crowd of wealthy women who got together to play cards.

In this article, the only source that identifies himself by name and as a friend of Nancy Lanza's, insists that she would have "never left her guns unsecured."

Nancy Lanza, Gunman's Mother: From 'Charmed Upbringing' To First Victim : The Two-Way : NPR

Oh, more journalistic excellence at play here:
Nancy Lanza: A 'Prepper' on the Edge and Mother of Sandy Hook Gunman

Once again, "unnamed friends." What's the deal? Can anyone find an article anywhere with actual names of sources who claim to be "friends of Nancy?" If so, please share - so far I'm coming up empty handed.

By the way, the guy who owned the landscaping business and the teenager in the first article do not identify themselves as friends or anyone who would know Nancy Lanza very well.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Thanks for this post. Don't expect it to make a lick of difference in the already made up minds of the OP and her followers.

8,560 posts, read 6,405,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorthy View Post
It's called a discussion. The questions are met with defensiveness and advice to email the newspaper for more information. We are trying to have a discussion here, not looking for advice or insults.
You're not "discussing".....you're ONLY asking questions, disregarding any possible reasons offered, and continuing to suggest that in fact there is some sort of conspiracy between the "media" and "government" in order to facilitate passing gun control laws.

Actually, the thread title asks about more photographs. Let me say that I think MORE PHOTOS would have IN FACT given more support to the White House and the many various members who make up "the media" for more gun control. So why would the White House and "the media" choose to take fewer photos and publish fewer photos? Less pictures actually helps the anti gun control folks. How do you think the public would have reacted to even MORE photos of the violence and horrific levels of emotional pain? Huh? So maybe the lack of photos is in fact a blessing for the anti gun control folks.

I don't see how fewer photos helps the White House to push more gun control laws at all. So that then leaves the suggesting that the event never happened at all, that it was a fake and stage for the specific purpose of passing more gun control laws. AND most of you have already said that you don't believe this was a staged "event" and that you believe it was real and that the children and adults were really killed.

21,618 posts, read 31,189,915 times
Kathryn.....

Quote:
http://newtownbee.com/PDFFiles/Speci...%20Edition.pdf

Please scroll down to the bottom of page 7. There, you can see parents anxiously waiting.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:13 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,336,397 times
Quote:
http://newtownbee.com/PDFFiles/Speci...%20Edition.pdf

Please scroll down to the bottom of page 7. There, you can see parents anxiously waiting.

Pssst, Kathryn, follow the link for all your photos. Happy now?

4,267 posts, read 6,181,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
For those of you who keep asking for Dorthy's list of questions, here ya go!
Thank you, Kayanne.

See, FancyFeast, I was not keeping anything hidden from you or anyone else. Kayanne found this pretty quickly.

88,544 posts, read 84,719,546 times
OK found your questions!

1. What was Lanza's motive? I doubt this one will ever be able to be answered.

2. Did Lanza have an official diagnosis of some kind? All we have heard on this is hearsay. Again, may never be answered beyond speculation and hearsay. It's medical information that is rightly not available for public consumption, if such information even exists.

3. Was he caught on video shooting his way into the school? We know the school had a camera at the door, was he caught on tape? Question back: DO we know/HOW do we know the school had a camera at the door? Do we know that there was a tape in it if there was one? And if we do, why do we think that information would have been/should have been released to the public at this stage in the investigation?

4. How did he get a hold of his brother, Ryan's ID, if he hadn't seen him in the two years prior to the shooting? As mentioned in snopes, and as I believe the first logical answer would be--the ID could be older than two years. No one said it was a current or valid ID. IMO this question is grasping at a straw, frankly.

5. Why was the suspect caught in the woods initially reported to be Adam Lanza, and then Ryan Lanza and then a distraught father and now an off duty swat officer all in the course of one months time? I'm still confused about this whole scene.

6. How did a scrawny young man shoot and kill so many people with such accuracy in such a short time span without leaving more people wounded? Another grasping-at-straw question, IMO. He was shooting fish in a barrel. You don't need a lot of accuracy to pull a trigger of a gun aimed at little kids trapped in a small room.

7. Why did the police initially report that only handguns were used in the shooting and then later change the story to only an assault rifle was used? Confusion/misinformation. Probably should not have reported any such details until they were confirmed. And do we even know if this was the result of an official police report, or was it a reporter jumping on a chance/overheard remark by a cop? Early reports in distaster are often erroneous, as was discussed in an earlier post, the WTC, for example. No plane flew into the Washington Monument.

8. Why were emergency responders, who came to assist, turned away at the scene? Do you have a link to indicate that this actually happened (other than just a "questions" site)? I know that someone else did respond to this question in this thread, and if I recall correctly, it was because they didn't need them. Why would this be important?

9. Why did school nurse, Sally Cox, tell reporters that Adam's mother Nancy was a wonderful Kindergarten teacher at Sandy Hook when in fact she had no connection to the school whatsoever and was never a teacher of any kind? The earliest news reports say that a parent said she was a teacher at the school, not Sally Cox the school nurse. Please clarify why you think it was the school nurse who gave out the erroneous information and not a parent as reported.

10. What's up with Gene Rosen's many inconsistent and odd stories about helping students from Sotos' classroom? I did not find many inconsistent and odd stories about helping the students. It seems pretty straight up. Can you provide the links to the reports that are inconsistent (not a summary source that claims they are inconsistent, the actual news stories)?

11. If Gene really did help these 6 children then how was he able to do that when all children were reported to have been killed? Not sure what you mean here.

12. How did the Newtown Bee manage to interview the Principal of the school in the aftermath of the shooting if she was the first person killed? I just did some Googling, and the only place this story appears is on the pro-conspiracy websites. Is there a valid source for this claim?

13. Why was there aerial camera footage on CNN saying that they were reporting from Sandy Hook when they really were not at Sandy Hook? Source that this happened?

14. Why did Lanza destroy his computer's hard drive if he was just going to kill himself at the sound of sirens anyway? How do you know that he knew he was going to kill himself? And even if he did plan to kill himself, he obviously destroyed his hard drive because there were things on there he did not want people to know about him. I find this an odd and irrelevant question.

15. Why is the search warrant for Lanza's home sealed for 90 days. No one is going to trial if this is in fact a lone gunman, since he's dead, why the secrecy? Do you know for a fact that he was indeed a lone gunman and that no one else was involved in either the planning or the execution of this event? No, you don't. Of course it likely was exactly that, but police have to rule out any possible leads and tie up loose ends before they can come to a final conclusion.

16. Why were the parents not given the option to view their children's bodies? And why were the parents OK with this? That's been answered on here--the way the question is phrased is not quite how it went.

17. How do so many parents interviewed on camera manage to not shed a single tear while talking about their murdered child? Not one tear? And yes, I have had many people close to me die and I have known mothers who have lost their children. It's plausible that some people would not shed tears but it's not plausible that everyone would not shed tears. Be careful. Isn't that the same sort of presumptuousness that sent an innocent Lindy Chamberlain to prison? You do not know how someone else "should" act if you are not them. Further, the parents who were not be able to contain their grief are unlikely to have agreed to appear on camera for that very reason.

18. Why was Victoria Soto's FB memorial page set up 4 days prior to the shooting? That is answered on snopes and the answer makes sense. It wasn't originally set up as a memorial page, but was changed into one after the shooting. The date the page was set up would not change. Does it make sense to you that someone plotting an intricate scam would be so stupid as to make that kind of mistake knowing that any idiot on the Internet would be able to see it instantly?

19. Who sets up a donation page on FB prior to even knowing if one's child is alive, wounded or dead (Parker family)? Do you have a reliable source that would indicate that this is true?

20. Why were the bodies removed in the middle of the night? That's been answered. They were moved when the crime scene was finished being processed, and that was in the middle of the night. When they were finished, should they have left the bodies there for the next shift? This question seems designed to make something out of nothing.

21. Why was the car that supposedly belonged to Adam Lanza's mothers (and the one with the weapon in the trunk) registered to a convicted felon who was unrelated to the the Lanza's? Was it? Do you have a reliable source that indicates this?

The problem I have with many of these questions is that they are presented as if they are unequivocably factual, and no possible explanations seem to have been considered.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 01-23-2013 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-23-2013, 11:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times
Let me please add that I follow a blog by one of the deceased's relatives. I am under no illusions that this shooting occurred. And no, I will not share the name or link of the blog. I won't contribute to the same nastiness that has befallen Gene Rosen and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies