Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2013, 08:50 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
While I understand where you're coming from, there's something wrong with the idea that you feel the need to carry a concealed weapon to keep yourself safe in the first place. It says a lot about our society...that we're more savage than we'd like to admit. It's sad.
Indeed, our society can be quite savage. Seen it, myself and someone very dear to me. Yet, in contradiction to what you bring up, a high percentage of firearms haters, tell us they feel safe, going anywhere, and nothing has ever happened to them. In the next breath we are called paranoid, fearful, and if we had a lick of sense, we would realize, as they do, there is no "need"to be armed. Then, they go on, to spout off that people are frightened, just to walk down the street, because of how violent our society is, and want folks like me, disarmed so we are all safer. ??????. So what is it?

We are all so safe, there is no "need"and to be armed, or there are bipreds everywhere? I fall somewhere on the side of caution with that, and I arm myself for certain places I go. Expecting the unexpected, as it were.

Yet, the people who are yammering the loudest, that every one be disarmed, tell us they feel perfectly safe, everywhere, and we are nuts. (Sigh)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2013, 10:16 PM

25,840 posts, read 16,515,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
I never really think about that ever to be honest. I don't want people around me to have guns, they are barely trustworty with cars and smartphones.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:30 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I never really think about that ever to be honest. I don't want people around me to have guns, they are barely trustworty with cars and smartphones.
Someone with a ccw is 7 times less likely to commit a crime than your average citizen. You should think of someone with a ccw as a model citizen.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:35 PM

709 posts, read 597,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.
Yeah, well I look like the guy who has one in swimming trunks. I just give off the vibe. Still yet, some brave souls will try it. I had a bum today ride his bike up to my work truck while eating in the back parking lot of DQ and ask me for money. When told no, he continued......."I just need some food...you bless me with some money so I's can get something to eat".

Hey man, I said I don't have any money for ya to get something to eat. I was already starting to get ansy as this situation was starting to go bad really quick. Finally he sensed I was getting p*ssed and there was going to be a fight or something bad was going to happen if he didn't leave. He was right.

What if he didn't leave?

I don't want to find out that without at least a knife or some pepper spray to back up my fists.

Your fists are only good in a ring or at school......IRL people ****ing cheat! You start pounding on a guy and out comes a weapon of his own, or his buddies jump you.

I don't worry about that....

Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 PM

25 posts, read 24,402 times
Unfortunately, everyone is a model citizen by the criteria of background check, until they have their moment.

There ARE no model citizens; some are better than others, but all are PEOPLE -- flawed, imperfect, and susceptible to giving in to their baser drives and urges.

Because of an incident when I was a teenager, a CCW carrier is one thing to me -- somebody who thinks, sooner or later, that his status as a CCW carrier is the trump card to any disagreement. Back then, I had an older man drive recklessly around me while I was riding my bike to my first job. He ENDANGERED me by his actions, I reacted aggressively, he followed me to a stop, at which time he SHOWED ME HIS GUN, suggesting I watch who I'm talking to. I didn't fear it then, and sure don't now. I don't carry, and if you pull yours on me, you'd better be a good shot...but you'll always be a COWARD. I don't look for fights, but I will NOT back down from anyone.

I'm also a veteran, and have always been inclined to give a fellow vet the benefit of the doubt; but vets are as far across the spectrum as the civilian population, so I am still cautious about giving anyone trust. Call it "hope for the best, prepare for the worst", if you like, but I'd just as soon not be UNpleasantly surprised.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Someone with a ccw is 7 times less likely to commit a crime than your average citizen. You should think of someone with a ccw as a model citizen.
Is that a real percentage or one you made up? A link on that would be good.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:52 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Is that a real percentage or one you made up? A link on that would be good.
A study was done of Texas ccw holders.

Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.7 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than male Texans with a CHL; and female Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.5 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than female Texans with a CHL.

TCHA: Texas CHL Study Update

Old 04-11-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A study was done of Texas ccw holders.

Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.7 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than male Texans with a CHL; and female Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.5 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than female Texans with a CHL.

TCHA: Texas CHL Study Update
Well yeah...duh.

He likes his guns so he is a good boy.

The guy who trashes him DWI home last night and has a roach of weed in his ashtray.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousElf View Post
Unfortunately, everyone is a model citizen by the criteria of background check, until they have their moment.

There ARE no model citizens; some are better than others, but all are PEOPLE -- flawed, imperfect, and susceptible to giving in to their baser drives and urges.

Because of an incident when I was a teenager, a CCW carrier is one thing to me -- somebody who thinks, sooner or later, that his status as a CCW carrier is the trump card to any disagreement. Back then, I had an older man drive recklessly around me while I was riding my bike to my first job. He ENDANGERED me by his actions, I reacted aggressively, he followed me to a stop, at which time he SHOWED ME HIS GUN, suggesting I watch who I'm talking to. I didn't fear it then, and sure don't now. I don't carry, and if you pull yours on me, you'd better be a good shot...but you'll always be a COWARD. I don't look for fights, but I will NOT back down from anyone.

I'm also a veteran, and have always been inclined to give a fellow vet the benefit of the doubt; but vets are as far across the spectrum as the civilian population, so I am still cautious about giving anyone trust. Call it "hope for the best, prepare for the worst", if you like, but I'd just as soon not be UNpleasantly surprised.
LOL

You better read up then.

Oath Keepers » Oath Keepers – Guardians of the Republic

Old 04-12-2013, 08:31 AM

23,854 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Because of an incident when I was a teenager, a CCW carrier is one thing to me -- somebody who thinks, sooner or later, that his status as a CCW carrier is the trump card to any disagreement.
So you're basing your opinion on a single incident that took place while you were a child. I guess objectivity isn't your strong suit.

Quote:
Back then, I had an older man drive recklessly around me while I was riding my bike to my first job. He ENDANGERED me by his actions, I reacted aggressively, he followed me to a stop, at which time he SHOWED ME HIS GUN, suggesting I watch who I'm talking to.
How do you know this guy was carrying legally? Most likely, he wasn't. Not if the laws then were anything like the laws today. A typical CCW holder today would NEVER do anything like that. What he did is a felony in this state, and as someone already pointed out, a non-CCW holder is 7 times more likely to commit a crime than a CCW holder.

My record is spotless. I'm certainly not going to risk my entire life that I've been so careful to manage as I have just to try and scare someone by brandishing my firearm. There aren't a lot of people in this country that have passed the age of 40 without a single arrest who would also be stupid enough to do something like that.

You're free to hold whatever opinion you want, of course, but based on what you wrote, your impression is completely wrong. I'm sorry that one idiot who broke the law when you were a kid has ruined you this way, but remember two things - you don't know if he was legally carrying that gun, and he is not the rest of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies