Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2013, 08:47 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A study was done of Texas ccw holders.

Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.7 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than male Texans with a CHL; and female Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.5 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than female Texans with a CHL.

TCHA: Texas CHL Study Update
Thanks for the link, it was a very specific number, so I wanted to make sure it was rooted in a real study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2013, 09:20 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Thanks for the link, it was a very specific number, so I wanted to make sure it was rooted in a real study.
Common sense should tell you that it's not unreasonable at all. Most states that issue CCW permits require fingerprinting and a background check (not the silly NICS check, but a real, thorough check by the FBI). The people that are issued permits are the most upstanding citizens in society. If they weren't, they wouldn't be issued the permits.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:38 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I would feel safer if there were no guns at all around me period. But thats not going to happen.

I would feel safer if no democrats were around me either, but that wont happen either.

Old 04-27-2015, 01:38 AM

1 posts, read 527 times
And look at me, I'm the gray haired old guy taking his wife to see "Black and White", taking the Hispanic kids across the street to see "McFarland" (Costner is having a very good year -- two winners) and joining up with their parents to see "Furious Seven". I think I'm in love with Letty.

And, since the theater one town over isn't posted against firearms, carrying every time.

I cried at "Black and White", cheered at "McFarland" (and took the kids to pizza afterward) and laughed at "Furious Seven" when they destroyed "one of only seven in the world" and commented to the young Black stranger sitting next to me* that "and now there are six" ... which he got a chuckle out of.

The gun-control freaks wouldn't think it, but CCL holders don't fit any particular mold except one: we accept that this world offers no guarantees and that we, alone, are responsible for the safety of those entrusted to our care.

*young Black guys out with their girlfriends are about as big of a threat as I am. For all I know, he had a CCL, too. If so, he and I are playing by the same rules so it's all chill.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:08 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,537,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
A study was done of Texas ccw holders.

Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.7 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than male Texans with a CHL; and female Texans who are over 21 years old and are not CHL holders are 7.5 times more likely to be arrested for commission of a violent crime than female Texans with a CHL.

TCHA: Texas CHL Study Update
DH & I live in TX and maintain our CCW so don't get me wrong here: that's a 15-year-old study. Too old to mean anything.

Personally I think it's crap statistics, I just hate to see obsolete and irrelevant stuff like this paraded out to try to justify CHL/CCW, which needs no justification. It's glaringly obvious that "registration" (of holders, not weapons) works, what are you trying to prove here?

Old 04-27-2015, 09:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
really? I train and practice with my firearms more than the cops do. why would you feel safer with someone who only shoots 1 time a year vs someone who pactices 30 times or more a year?

While your point is true, I can't recognize the difference between you a law abiding gun carrier vs a citizen that means harm to others, Where do we see the label telling us you are the good guy? Where is your white hat?

Think about this... You are in a situation where you are the only person armed with an armed attacker and you draw your weapon, How does the arriving cop tell the difference between you and the other guy?

I own and have a CCW license but I consider strongly anytime I think about walking out of the house with a weapon. I am pretty decent with it and could hit my target based on yesterdays practice. But still when a gun is introduced to a situation it gets serious quickly.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,827,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
While your point is true, I can't recognize the difference between you a law abiding gun carrier vs a citizen that means harm to others, Where do we see the label telling us you are the good guy? Where is your white hat?

Think about this... You are in a situation where you are the only person armed with an armed attacker and you draw your weapon, How does the arriving cop tell the difference between you and the other guy?

I own and have a CCW license but I consider strongly anytime I think about walking out of the house with a weapon. I am pretty decent with it and could hit my target based on yesterdays practice. But still when a gun is introduced to a situation it gets serious quickly.
If this is a problem it would have been seen with the millions who legally carried concealed.

The simple fact is the action is done 99% of the time before the police arrive.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:25 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,237,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nother Bill View Post
And look at me, I'm the gray haired old guy taking his wife to see "Black and White", taking the Hispanic kids across the street to see "McFarland" (Costner is having a very good year -- two winners) and joining up with their parents to see "Furious Seven". I think I'm in love with Letty.

And, since the theater one town over isn't posted against firearms, carrying every time.

I cried at "Black and White", cheered at "McFarland" (and took the kids to pizza afterward) and laughed at "Furious Seven" when they destroyed "one of only seven in the world" and commented to the young Black stranger sitting next to me* that "and now there are six" ... which he got a chuckle out of.

The gun-control freaks wouldn't think it, but CCL holders don't fit any particular mold except one: we accept that this world offers no guarantees and that we, alone, are responsible for the safety of those entrusted to our care.

*young Black guys out with their girlfriends are about as big of a threat as I am. For all I know, he had a CCL, too. If so, he and I are playing by the same rules so it's all chill.
All that, and you didn't even get a chance to kill someone?

Personally, I think people who feel the need to carry a loaded gun at all times are either paranoid or it gives them some sense of power. I took my kids to see Monkey Kingdom yesterday, gun-less, and we all managed to make it home alive. Besides, where am I going to "concealed carry"? I don't carry a man purse or have fat rolls to hide it in.

Old 04-27-2015, 02:51 PM

46,312 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
While your point is true, you cannot tell the difference with anyone with a gun....except the criminal is shooting at everyone

So, lets make laws that only law abiding citizens are forced to obey...not so much for the criminals....that is where you and other anti gunners fail, completely....(I don't care nor believe that you are a CCW holder)

Quote:
As a CCW holder, I'm willing to bet most would drop their weapon and get on the ground...the criminal will not.....they don't want to go back to jail....

Remember the police have no right to protect you....

Quote:
And yet people save lives everyday.....those that use guns in self defense.....

Old 04-27-2015, 02:59 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,956,572 times
Zombie thread, but still pertinent.

I am a firearm and security officer instructor. My ccw students are predominately very low key, mature, serious people. The students I've seen are NOT paranoid. They are concerned. They are not scared, they are prepared. They are not looking for a fight, they are not looking to "end" a fight someone else started. They will however defend themselves if all other reason and avoidance has failed. I feel confident in saying ccw holders are less likely to cause trouble, more likely to walk away or evade trouble than the average person. In part due to their training.

The police job is to investigate crime and apprehend crimnals. It is not to protect individuals. There are many cases of police failing to act. YOU are responsible for your own protection. If you wish to abdicate that to the mercy of a criminal it is your choice. Legally armed citizens have simply chosen to not give criminals carte blanc over their lives.

My feeling for those who are so rabidly against armed citizens is a feeling of sadness for you. Some crminals see weakness as opportunity, not as a political stance. They don't care about the esotertic advantages of an unarmed society. All they see is they got a gun, you don't so you do what they want or die.

Someday maybe, humanity will evolve beyond hate, anger and crime and guns will be unnecessary.

We are not there yet.

Last edited by jamies; 04-27-2015 at 04:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies