Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2015, 09:14 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,932,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast eddy View Post
Zimmerman has been arrested for assaulting a police officer, beating.up his wife or was it girlfriend, threatening his father in law with a firearm. His niece accused him of sexual assault. He is constantly getting the cops called on him. This is the ideal person to carry a gun???
Nope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:33 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,246,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Sorry Charlie, I do not feel safer with an armed man nearby, quite the opposite. If they are not a uniformed professional, I think they are fearful people, possibly unbalanced.
So, you have to be a "uniformed" LEO to be professional? All those years and I was never a professional since I never wore a uniform. Thanks for letting me know.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,947,000 times
GZ is a bad example, clearly a loose cannon. Most permit holders are not like that. I live/work in a high crime area, past year the convenience store across from me was robbed at knife point, the Dollar Store at gun point. I call pd about weekly on drugs etc., and I "observe and report." I don't interject myself, don't follow or get involved. I had a domestic violence spill into my parking lot. We came out with holstered guns, on our property, hubby saw, eyes got big, hubby fled ahead of police.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:38 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,883,872 times
Default CCW would of protected Life and Property.

Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
So, you have to be a "uniformed" LEO to be professional? All those years and I was never a professional since I never wore a uniform. Thanks for letting me know.
One point is when one goes thru CCW and has learned on how and when to use afire arms. Most folks cold not even tell if some has a fire arm.

the 1st rule is to avoid and access any situation.

But if looters have broke you front door down and assault you are your employees. This isa good shooting solution.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:55 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
And most anti 2A people fail to realize that a lot of LE "professionals" aren't very efficient with a weapon, far less so than many concealed carriers.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:04 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,905 times
I originally started this thread in the beginning of 2013. Now just over two years later, consealed carry licenses have grown from 8 million, to over 11 million in the US. A 36% increase in two years.
In my original post, the point I was trying to make is that everyone crosses paths with CCW carriers, and they have no idea. This happens everyday without issues. Very rarely are licenses to carry revoked. That means that the people who choose to take the responsibility, are acting responsible.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:51 AM

10,926 posts, read 21,988,367 times
And the "wild west" scenario that the anti's continually warn about has never developed, yet they continue to use this tired and false argument. NH's own governor is promising to veto our constitutional carry bill with this very claim. Some people are just clueless...

Old 04-30-2015, 08:56 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,770,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns? As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun. I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident. We are bound by law to keep it concealed and never pull it out unless an aggravated felony is occuring to us, or those around us.
We have chosen to make personal safety our responsibility.
We are your friends.

I have no problem with concealed carry by trained, level-headed and mentally competent individuals.

Unfortunately there are way too many idiots, hotheads, and careless people running around who don't use or store their firearms properly.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:05 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,433,334 times
Quote:
With over 8 million active concealed carry licences in the U.S. do you think that you never are around guns?
I assume its possible at most times that there may be some nut job with a gun around. Though 8 million divided about US population of adults. . .and then just because people have a permit, doesn't mean they carry 100% of the time. . . and some permit holders die (for example) . . .

it probably doesn't happen that often.

Quote:
As you navigate your daily life, when you are at the grocery store, when you go to K-mart, while you are waiting to get your haircut, when you are at your kids soccer game, chances are that often you are in close proximity to a handgun.
wow, your bad at math. At 242 million adults. . with only 8 million permits. .not all permit holders carry at all times. . . .chances are good it can happen at some point. . but not "often" by any stretch of the word.

unless you mean within a 5 mile radius . . .i'm talking a reasonable proximity.

Quote:
I often think when I look at people, which ones would have a problem with me sitting 4ft from them if they new I was carrying, and which ones would feel safer knowing there is an armed and trained person near them.
The chance of me encountering a crazy killer is a lot lower than encountering a idiot with a gun who drops it and shoots a family member. So yeah, I wouldn't hang around you if I knew. I don't trust you. For every "trained" person there is 3 idiots out there who get shot in the head by a 2 year old in walmart

Quote:
My point is this ... this all happens everyday, without incident.

ARE YOU F'n HIGH? 100 children die a year from accidental shootings. Guns in home are 22 times more likely to shoot someone on Accident than on purpose. Why the F' would concealed carry be any better.

Old 04-30-2015, 09:54 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I assume its possible at most times that there may be some nut job with a gun around. Though 8 million divided about US population of adults. . .and then just because people have a permit, doesn't mean they carry 100% of the time. . . and some permit holders die (for example) . . .

it probably doesn't happen that often.

wow, your bad at math. At 242 million adults. . with only 8 million permits. .not all permit holders carry at all times. . . .chances are good it can happen at some point. . but not "often" by any stretch of the word.

unless you mean within a 5 mile radius . . .i'm talking a reasonable proximity.

The chance of me encountering a crazy killer is a lot lower than encountering a idiot with a gun who drops it and shoots a family member. So yeah, I wouldn't hang around you if I knew. I don't trust you. For every "trained" person there is 3 idiots out there who get shot in the head by a 2 year old in walmart

ARE YOU F'n HIGH? 100 children die a year from accidental shootings. Guns in home are 22 times more likely to shoot someone on Accident than on purpose. Why the F' would concealed carry be any better.
Concealed Carry Licenses are revoked for unlawful or negligent firearm use.
Tracking these revocations are the best way to determine how responsible CCW's are.

"There is also little evidence that law-abiding permit holders are a threat to public safety. The state of Florida, which has issued over 2 million concealed carry permits since it adopted a `right-to-carry' law in 1987, (just 0.3 percent of the total issued permits) and just 168 concealed carry permits were revoked due to the use of a firearm in a crime (just 0.008 percent)."

From the Congress House Report...
Committee Reports - 112th Congress (2011-2012) - House Report 112-277
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies