Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 06:19 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But they are being led to believe that there are no checks on purchasers of guns and that it's a free for all out there. Have to go to the extreme here to get backing.
If there are no checks at gun shows and private sales, it pretty much is a free for all, because you can walk an elephant through the loopholes.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObserverNY View Post
Yo .... I didn't call her a retard. It's very sad to see someone who has been rendered permanently disabled be used as a tool for a Statist agenda. And it is exactly that reason, the Left using a disabled person to further an agenda hoping to evoke sympathy and emotion, that made it laughable.

I think calling Gabby "a retard" is offensive. However, I find using her as a tool to try and undermine our 2nd Amendment and MSNBC's editing of the tape of the Sandy Hook father's testimony to look like 2nd Amendment supporters were "hateful hecklers" ............. pathetic.
You said you laughed at her difficulties to speak.

You say she is being "used". Gabby Giffords dedicated her life to serve the nation, and she served in Congress, so it is not like someone has to drag her back to Congress and "use" her to push their agenda. She is basically continuing her service, and came because she wanted to. She, as a victim of senseless gun crime, should be ALLOWED to speak in a discussion such as this.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Yet Congress lets them speak like they do.
LaPierre has a right to address his government just like you and I do.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, but his job it to take the extreme stance on the issue, so he is expected to oppose everything. I think in the end the background checks will pass, and nothing else will, and I think most people will be happy.

I just saw the movie Lawless, and I can't help but notice how much LaPierre looks like the Chicago gangster in that movie.
This is what I can't understand. Why must every stance be extreme? Is there no room for moderation anymore?

Old 02-01-2013, 06:27 AM

724 posts, read 593,580 times
what a disgusting thread full of disgusting comments.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's leftist ignorance like the bolded part above that get thrown around and is told as the "truth" when this is not even close to the truth....but again, if it's said enough, it has to be true...right....

There are currently back ground checks done....what he does not agree with is the extended back gorund check, did ya here that....that is the truth....sorry facts are not your friend...
WHATEVER. YOU are the one not dealing with the facts! For example, background checks are not being done the way they should. Also, why should we track mentally ill people but NOT gun owners?! It makes no sense. We track people who drive, people who own cars, people who own homes, but not guns.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:31 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,243,959 times
Quote:
Lobbyists do NOT represent the people. They represent the interests of those who fund them.
If you want to find out the agenda of a lobbyists follow the money in their coffers.
Don't you realize that yet ?
Cut it out with the lobbyist crap will you please. Your bologna is way the heck off topic. If you keep it up, I'll ask that thread be locked again like the last one on this stupid subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
She hasn't had any intellectual impairment--she's partly paralyzed and she has major problems speaking. She's still the same woman who served in Congress on the inside.
Maybe so. But, if someone who did not know her and what had happened to her, spoke to her, and watched her walk, one would almost be sure she'd had a severe stroke.
Mark Kirk, has had extensive therapy and three brain surgeries, and walks, and talks nearly like she does.
I would have to say, that only doctors, therapists or anyone who knew her before, really know how this life changing event affected her.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 02-01-2013 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 06:43 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Even with part of her brain shot away she has more wits and wisdom than Wayne Lapierre has in his head!
She hasn't had any intellectual impairment--she's partly paralyzed and she has major problems speaking. She's still the same woman who served in Congress on the inside.

Old 02-01-2013, 06:49 AM

57,315 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
It's leftist ignorance like the bolded part above that get thrown around and is told as the "truth" when this is not even close to the truth....but again, if it's said enough, it has to be true...right....

There are currently back ground checks done....what he does not agree with is the extended back gorund check, did ya here that....that is the truth....sorry facts are not your friend...
If LaPierre doesn't want extensive background checks but he wants to restrict mentally incompetent people to get access to guns, how does he hope to accomplish that without background checks. There is no question that mentally deranged people are currently getting access, so what is his solution, do nothing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.