Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 11:03 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Sounds like the principal got caught playing BS games and had to "clarify" to save their job. Don't worry as evidence in this thread the liberals will jump to his defense. Now if it were the other way around they would be outside his home calling him a KKK member declaring he be shot for discrimination.
You mean, the same way you jumped to condemn without even knowing the full story? Those of us "defending" (not really) him were merely setting the facts straight. Do facts bother you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Maybe if you didn't get your "news" from a Republican filmmaker who wants to overthrow the government, you would actually know the details before jumping to conclusions... I mean, the fact that he misspelled "elementary" should have clued you in that this isn't a reliable source. Seriously, SMH.
What does his being Republican have to do with anything? Are only Republicans responsible for inaccurate stories? You undermine your own credibility when you feel the need to stick "Republican" in there. You just come off as the same sort of biased person with an axe to grind as the guy you're complaining about.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:06 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
Well from what I read in this thread the principal was backtracking to "clarify" his position and you folks were whining about sources like usual. That is pretty much all you do anymore so no surprise. I didn't condemn anyone just called the principal what he was........an idiot.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:09 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,105,768 times
Quote:
Well he should have.
Probably, but I doubt every principal proofreads everything all the time. PASS is a minority-parent organization that is is many Cherry Creek Public Schools. I imagine he knows the parent leader of his school's PASS chapter. I can see a situation where his secretary comes to him and says "Andre, Angela just dropped of the PASS tutoring flyer, should I include it in the school newsletter?" and he responds by saying "Yeah, go ahead."

Quote:
Now his arse is in a sling because he allowed a group who only wanted to tutor certain students be at the school. Your probably right it's maybe blown out of proportion but who knows anymore. Some folks who get in these positions have some pretty messed up ideas and philosophies.
That was the mistaken communication. The primary focus of PASS is to improve minority underachievement, but despite the what the flyer said, PASS tutoring is open, and has always been open, to non-minority students too.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:16 PM

Did you read the CBS4 link? Apparently after the woman complained about this thing the principal left a message on her answering machine........

"“This is Andre Pearson. It’s focused for and designed for children of color, but certainly, if we have space for other kids who have needs, we can definitely meet those needs,” Pearson told Cox in the voicemail"

So he did read the thing and approved it and clarified that it was designed for children of color. But he if we have space your little johnny can join the fun. So this guy is full of sheet and just got caught.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Did you read the CBS4 link? Apparently after the woman complained about this thing the principal left a message on her answering machine........

"“This is Andre Pearson. It’s focused for and designed for children of color, but certainly, if we have space for other kids who have needs, we can definitely meet those needs,” Pearson told Cox in the voicemail"

So he did read the thing and approved it and clarified that it was designed for children of color. But he if we have space your little johnny can join the fun. So this guy is full of sheet and just got caught.
I saw the story live (both yesterday and the follow up story today). I've watched the 6:30 Denver CBS4 newscast everyday for decades.

I don't find anything wrong with his message. PASS is a parent organization made up of the parents of minority students whose mission is closing the academic achievement gap between minority and non-minority students by improving the academic performance of minority students. I don't see anything wrong with PASS having a tutoring program targeted primarily at poor achieving minority students.

His message was factual: The flyer was incorrect. PASS focuses on tutoring underachieving minority students, but will take underachieving white kids too space providing.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,266,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The type of person who's been misunderstood and accused of NOT welcoming all students? Duh.

I imagine it would be = the reaction of the OP, when he thought it was closed to students of his color. Discrimination feels pretty bad, doesn't it? (hint hint, Old Army Soldier)
I don't think the principal saw this letter, but somebody did write it and it is possible a teacher saw it before it was passed out. I question the writer of the memo and the group. Maybe it was just a Freudian slip, maybe they meant to say under performing students, but it raises suspicions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It seems that the volunteer parent coordinator of the parent-run tutoring program wrote the sign-up sheet. Although the buck certainly stops with the principal - he's the one responsible for sending it out. He's also the one who apologized for incorrect information being sent out and corrected it.
I don't think he saw or wrote the memo so he shoudln't be judged too harshly, but it does raise some suspicions.

Quote:
Quite frankly, if a group of minority parents want to have a group that tutors underachieving colored students- even to the exclusion of white students - I say good for them.
So in your world it is acceptable to exclude people based on the color of their skin now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I do not see the words "of color" in the principal's letter.
It was on the memo that was sent home, that is what the principal was apologizing for.

Quote:
Minority parents who realize that the minority students in their school are doing worse than white students offering after-school tutoring for underachieving, primarily minority students (although white students are welcome) is racism against whites?

Really????
When the original memo sent home implies that whites weren't welcome it is.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:29 PM

Yes if there is room.

Fact is they should be targeting all students not just minority students. If you don't think so then I don't know what to say. What kind of school are they trying to run? This thing is ridiculous. They should have sent out a memo saying he we are offering a tutoring program if your child is interested here sign the form.

If this lady didn't make a stink about it there wouldn't have been any "clarification" and they would have gone on their merry way tutoring only minority students. You think that is ok? I'm not even going to state the obvious.

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Fact is they should be targeting all students not just minority students. If you don't think so then I don't know what to say. What kind of school are they trying to run? This thing is ridiculous. They should have sent out a memo saying he we are offering a tutoring program if your child is interested here sign the form.
I guarantee the school has other, general tutoring programs (I know the district - I did K-12 in this district, and I have a half-dozen or so friends who currently teach in this district). This is just one particular group of minority parents that offers this specific tutoring program.

Quote:
If this lady didn't make a stink about it there wouldn't have been any "clarification" and they would have gone on their merry way tutoring only minority students. You think that is ok? I'm not even going to state the obvious.
I bet more than one lady complained. Cherry Creek is the premier public school district (and richest) in Colorado and has many, many very involved parents. I'm sure the school got dozens of phone calls about the flyer and even without this one lady going to the press it would have been "clarified."

Old 02-14-2013, 11:42 PM

Are the other programs only for certain groups of students? It should have never gotten to the point of having to be clarified. If these parents feel the need to only tutor minorities then do it in their homes. Pretty sad example being set by the parents who run this group IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies