Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 09:34 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,582,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Do you have information information on any American who is the victim of an enforced disappearance?
DUH!!! That's the whole point. When the government has the power to disappear you without any need to notify anyone then tens of thousands could vanish and no one would have a clue where, when or how. All it requires is some nameless bureaucrat in some nameless government department suspecting you might be a terrorist and YOU ARE GONE.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 10:30 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
I don't think we've lost many freedoms. At this point, we are about as free in our daily lives as citizens in any other modern developed nation. There isn't much I can think of on a daily basis that I want to do and can't.
Take a string and pole to the water and try to catch a fish without a government license and see how quick before you get fined/arrested.

But you're free. As long as you don't want to eat.

Or try and ride a bicycle without government approved headgear. But we are all free. lols.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,778,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I've had a driver's license for decades across 3 states.
This year I'm up for renewal again. But this year I have to show up with about 8 forms of identity to prove that I am who I am and have been for all these years.

Our government is running so scared that soon no one will be able to prove who they are because all forms of identity will be suspect.

I'm in the schools. I've gone through e-verify to get that state sanctioned school teacher's ID with a photo. But no..not good enough to go along with my license.
There's definitely a lot more paperwork. It should be easier to get a passport than a gun.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,664,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
So, thus far since my post, the 'rights' Americans have lost appear to be: the right for children to enjoy menthol cigarettes, and licensing requirements for interstate truckers?
I guess we can now add fishing without a license and riding a bicycle without a helmet (depending on which state you are in and mostly for children).

Quite an impressive list

Old 02-24-2013, 01:00 AM

510 posts, read 889,350 times
Many more...but here's a few.
Look at law regarding the protesting near government buildings which give the secret service more power to apply trespass. 'God' on money. Anti-bigamy laws for religions. Lots of infringement on the second amendment--1934, 1968, 1986, 1991, 1994 GCA/AWBs at the federal level to name a few; more than could list at state/local levels. The fourth amendment regarding search and seizure--one of the latest is that police don't need cause/warrants within 100 miles of the US border to take electronic devices (phones, computers). At the state level a state supreme court upheld that game wardens can profile people as hunters based on wearing camoflauge or driving certain vehicles. Bail enforcement includes a pretty much open ended fill in the blank warrant as long as the enforcer has probable cause (not presented to judge). Camera monitoring devices used by police that can view beyond public space. When items are seized for law enfocement investigation, some, can be returned to the owner after being cleared for market price (e.g. if a game warden seizes your gun for ballistic testing and you are cleared...you have to buy it back from them)--which is violating the fifth. The Patriot Act--that thing is rife with right stomping. NDAA of 2012.

Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
The government is arguing right now that they can ignore your due process rights. The administration refuses to even discuss this. Luckily there is a case in the courts right now that will hopefully stop this in it's tracks.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Take a string and pole to the water and try to catch a fish without a government license and see how quick before you get fined/arrested.

But you're free. As long as you don't want to eat.

Or try and ride a bicycle without government approved headgear. But we are all free. lols.
See this is the point people miss. Seriously, why does one need a hunting,or fishing license? Or a marriage license?

Old 02-24-2013, 07:30 AM

13,693 posts, read 9,014,113 times
I had not thought of 'fishing license' as being part of 'rights lost'.

Even as a youth in the 1960s fishing licenses were required (at least, my father had to have one, while I guess I did not until I was 12 or so). Yet, it makes some sense: Texas only has one 'natural' lake, while all the others are man-made, and had to be stocked with fish. I assume that the fishing license fees go towards stocking the lakes, maintaining the public boat ramps, paying for the game wardens, etc.

I do seem to recall that for many years fishing in natural rivers did not require a fishing license, though I believe one is now required.

Old 02-24-2013, 07:34 AM

18 posts, read 10,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post

Frog In A Pot - YouTube This explains it ALL!
This is what "progressivism" means... It's what it is all about...

Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 AM

18 posts, read 10,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heisenberg7854 View Post
Not once did he mention anything against responsible citizens hunting or defending their own homes from intruders.
Because any politician would actually say this to a nations civilians.....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies