Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:49 AM

512 posts, read 1,566,304 times

Advertisements

Boiseguy

Post #59
in 20 years since Reagan.. we can see that its all a bunch of crap.. Reaganomics.. trickle down theories.. etc etc... yeah.. we see where its trickling.. its trickling offshore where better profits can be made..

Post #67
presidency has little effect on the economy, and I was more referring to ALL politicians..namely congress... we are constantly blinded by these trivial issues and do not see the whole picture....

Well, which is it?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:13 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
presidency has little effect on the economy, and I was more referring to ALL politicians..namely congress... we are constantly blinded by these trivial issues and do not see the whole picture...
I agree that there should be a flat tax.. in fact I would go so far as to say there should be a flat sales tax..
if you want to be materialistic and buy up the world... then you support the infrastructure and society you function in.. If you want to buy a car.. then you pay taxes on it to support roads.. if you buy a house then you pay taxes to support schools and parks..
nobody can escape a sales tax... but it would not limit someone from gaining wealth.. it would only effect you if you wish to lavish yourself in it...
Flat Sales Tax, aka The Fair Tax. All for it.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:22 AM

646 posts, read 1,789,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jak88 View Post
Society's problems will never be solved, they will always appear and when they are solved, they will be unsolved again in the next generation when the problems can't afford to be solved.

Seen the state of social security? The lowering of the dollar? We are going to face turbulant times, and the government isn't going to have enough money to help you out, and neither am I.

The individualist mindset is the mindset that has made America great. That you can change your own outcome in your life, and not everyone else. It seems to me like everything is about 'me me me' to you. Well, make it about you and leave me out of it.
To me, it's not acceptable to simply accept the status quo and just expect things to be terrible. Sure, there are many challenges out there that may be incredibly difficult to solve, but I don't think the right approach is to throw in the towel and think that we can't make any progress. It's not about just me or you, but our society. The people that most people consider the greatest Americans are the ones who have brought society together, not divided people.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:24 AM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,424,391 times
I agree with the publicans on this one. I hate bums. A bum asked me for a dime and I stomped his face in right there on the sidewalk. I told him 'if I can do it, you can do it, then I proceeded to my job as a tight rope walking trapeez artist.

I know a woman on welfare with a child that has MS and another child that has ADD. I smacked her and told her to get 3 jobs and drown her children, that way she could be like me, a flying trapeez artist whose gift was not god given.

I met a Bi-polar guy who told me he can't survive without help. I spit in his face and told him we were all born with the same brain and situation. My mother was Bi-polar too. That didn't stop me from body slamming her and continuing practicing my tight-rope walking in my backyard circus tent.

My daughter only scored 60 on the IQ test. I told her that was nonsense, everybody has an IQ of at least 170 or better. Like me, my IQ is 190. If I can be a lamborghini driving trapeez artist so can you. Even though my dad got me the job at my great-granddads circus company that doesn't mean I'm special or gifted or fortunate. Anyone that can't make a million dollars tight rope walking across the Niagra Falls like me is a lazy no good bum of a man who deserves to die. I'm not going to help someone who needs it because there are people who are downright lazy. Forget them and their children. Now I must go to church. BYE!

Old 10-24-2007, 07:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
Tax - find and read my proposal for an income tax with a huge deductible that would place the burden on the upper 15% of the population. Make the people that own the country pay for the upkeep.

National Debt - what makes any of you think we are going to actually pay off the real value of the debt? We will repay the debt with greatly devalued dollars by allowing a huge inflation. This will destroy the savings of everybody. I would rather we just said to the owners of the debt “Sorry about that. We cannot repay this, so we just will bankrupt out of the responsibility. Thanks suckers.” This would, at least prevent us from monetizing our expenses ever again.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,863,147 times
PPG - you are a most fortunate tightrope artist. Now where did I put my saw?

Old 10-24-2007, 07:37 AM

502 posts, read 1,067,445 times
Why does 'poor' automatically equate to 'welfare scum' to so many?

I'm poor. If I didn't work a few sidejobs there is no way I would be able to get everything paid every month. I sure as hell can't afford health insurance after I pay the rest of my bills, and the job I have, which I love with all my soul, will never be able to provide insurance for me. It's much too expensive for them, too. My health care consists of eating as well as possible and getting some exercise. If I get sick I'm totally screwed. I had to miss four days of work last year because I had the mother of all colds and I ending up having to borrow money from friends to pay rent, which I'm sure you can imagine really, really sucked.. I've paid them back, by the way...

What's disgusting to me is the idea that if I don't buy into your corporate culture and decide to do something meaningful with my life instead, I get paid too little and apparently don't deserve healthcare. The small paycheck I can handle, I have other trade-offs, but to have to trade my health and my life for that same choice I find infuriating. Lots of those that did buy into the corporate culture don't care if I get healthcare, if I live or die, and spit on me and people like me that don't want some gawdamn desk job crunching numbers for The Man but still feel like our health is important...

Get a higher paying job, you say? Kiss my ass, say I. Telling someone that they don't make enough money to matter is the very thing wrong our society... Well, one of 'em anyway.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:42 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,185,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
I agree with the publicans on this one. I hate bums. A bum asked me for a dime and I stomped his face in right there on the sidewalk. I told him 'if I can do it, you can do it, then I proceeded to my job as a tight rope walking trapeez artist.

I know a woman on welfare with a child that has MS and another child that has ADD. I smacked her and told her to get 3 jobs and drown her children, that way she could be like me, a flying trapeez artist whose gift was not god given.

I met a Bi-polar guy who told me he can't survive without help. I spit in his face and told him we were all born with the same brain and situation. My mother was Bi-polar too. That didn't stop me from body slamming her and continuing practicing my tight-rope walking in my backyard circus tent.

My daughter only scored 60 on the IQ test. I told her that was nonsense, everybody has an IQ of at least 170 or better. Like me, my IQ is 190. If I can be a lamborghini driving trapeez artist so can you. Even though my dad got me the job at my great-granddads circus company that doesn't mean I'm special or gifted or fortunate. Anyone that can't make a million dollars tight rope walking across the Niagra Falls like me is a lazy no good bum of a man who deserves to die. I'm not going to help someone who needs it because there are people who are downright lazy. Forget them and their children. Now I must go to church. BYE!
You know.. I read this and actually pictured a person in a leotard and tights doing those acts... Now, I know you're being silly - but it's really the same concept thought-process-wise.

But, instead of a tight-rope trapeze artists - many people with the ideal that people who need help are lazy... tend to be people walking the tight-rope of the business life.

And thanks again, PPG - I'm going to be drawing your "scenario" for my politics class homework.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:46 AM

646 posts, read 1,789,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
There are people who legitimately need help. However, there are many more who continue to look for a free ride. I suggest that you help those who truly deserve help and work toward removing these policies that encourage and reward laziness.
There is no question that many people take advantage of the system, but would you mind sharing the statistics showing that "many more" are looking for a free ride than truly needing help? It seems to be more of an opinion than a fact, so it concerns me.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:47 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,702,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado native View Post
Why does 'poor' automatically equate to 'welfare scum' to so many?

I'm poor. If I didn't work a few sidejobs there is no way I would be able to get everything paid every month. I sure as hell can't afford health insurance after I pay the rest of my bills, and the job I have, which I love with all my soul, will never be able to provide insurance for me. It's much too expensive for them, too. My health care consists of eating as well as possible and getting some exercise. If I get sick I'm totally screwed. I had to miss four days of work last year because I had the mother of all colds and I ending up having to borrow money from friends to pay rent, which I'm sure you can imagine really, really sucked.. I've paid them back, by the way...

What's disgusting to me is the idea that if I don't buy into your corporate culture and decide to do something meaningful with my life instead, I get paid too little and apparently don't deserve healthcare. The small paycheck I can handle, I have other trade-offs, but to have to trade my health and my life for that same choice I find infuriating. Lots of those that did buy into the corporate culture don't care if I get healthcare, if I live or die, and spit on me and people like me that don't want some gawdamn desk job crunching numbers for The Man but still feel like our health is important...

Get a higher paying job, you say? Kiss my ass, say I. Telling someone that they don't make enough money to matter is the very thing wrong our society... Well, one of 'em anyway.
You've made your decisions, and must live with the consequences. It seems that you've found a way to subsidize your needs by asking friends for help. This is the way things should work, not by using the government to force others to provide your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies