Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 05:56 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,422,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
So you want to force women to breed because your government can't come up with a new and viable model?
Great.

Different women need different types of BC.
Some cost $95/month.
That's a bit higher than the cost of aspirin.
Your leap was big enough to clear the Grand Canyon. Don't wont kids? Don't have them. Just recognize that our entire financial model is/was based on a birth rate of > 2.1. It's people like me calling for an end to the current system while liberal hacks want more government spending.

Ibuprofen was $1 a pill when under patent and prescription only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 06:26 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
Btw the most idiotic comments I am reading are from the lefties on this board. I will never understand the logic of requiring tax payers to pay for everything. If we do that then everyone will go broke who is paying taxes while those who don't will get more. It's why states like Illinois and California are going broke.

Like I stated before I couldn't care less if private employers pay for birth control. What I don't think is right is why a religious employer is forced to pay for something they disagree with. People say goofy things like that their views are outdated, but in USA we are supposed to believe in what we want.
We're not talking about taxes dearie, we're talking about insurance paid for by policyholders and employers.

Quote:
Because they keep making babies. Awhile back there was an article about tearing down Cabrini Green and they interviewed two long time residents. One had 5 kids, the other 6, obviously they aren't using birth control.
Well, that's definitive proof that "everyone" who is poor is doing that, not.

Quote:
If a private employer is paying then yes they have the right to say what they will pay for. It might be unfair but it's their money.
The employer has to obey the law, just like s/he has to pay minimum wage, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The issue here isn't whether or not people have sex. It's whether they have the right to ask someone else to pay for their birth control so they can have sex. I'm more than willing to pay for my own because I like sex. If you're not willing to pay for your own and you don't want to get pregnant/get someone pregnant then no sex is an option for you. It's your bill to take care of.

Having sex is not necessary. It's something we like. Therefore having sex is a choice. Your choice, your bill. The drug store sells condoms....

Use of birth control and the type you choose to use are not medical issues. They are personal lifestyle choices. MEDICAL insurance companies should not have to pay for lifestyle choices. They pay for MEDICAL expenses.
Quote:
As long as the owner owns the business it is the owner's money paying for the BC. It's coming out of his profits. IMO, he has the right not to have to pay for things he does not believe in just as you have the right to pay for things you do believe in.
Quote:
If I own a businsess, any benefits I pay for come out of the profits from the company I own. My RTI is reduced by the amount I pay for those benefits. So I am paying for them. I should have the right to pay for what I believe in. If you believe in something else, you have the right to pay for that.

For example, I believe abortion is murder. I'd lock my doors and walk away from my business before I'd pay for an abortion and my unemployed ex employees would just have to live with the depth of my conviction.
The issue is if the insurance policy you pay for should cover BC, and if the employer should follow the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, that is where you are wrong. The pill is used for many different reasons - other than pregnancy prevention.
And even preventing pregnancy is a part of women's health. It is bad for women to have too many pregnancies, spaced too close together.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:48 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,736,448 times
Quote:
Once again you take my words out of content. Where did I state I oppose gay marriage or abortion? In fact I don't care what people do.

Actually not sure why I am responding to you since you make no sense. Do you even pay taxes? I do and no I don't want to pay for people with multiple babies out of wedlock, I'd rather pay for the person who fell on hard times.
Oh, so you aren't against gay marriage or abortion? Wow, a Catholic who's not against abortion? How do you figure?

No, I don't pay taxes. I'm a poor person, have 15 kids, and live on welfare and food stamps. I've never held a job, can barely read and write, and in fact, I don't plan on ever getting a job, I'm living sooo well as a poor person, and I'm going to have 10 more kids because, hey, why not?

Old 03-08-2013, 10:53 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Your leap was big enough to clear the Grand Canyon. Don't wont kids? Don't have them. Just recognize that our entire financial model is/was based on a birth rate of > 2.1. It's people like me calling for an end to the current system while liberal hacks want more government spending.

Ibuprofen was $1 a pill when under patent and prescription only.
No, it's not a leap.
So we need a new model.
Women have other things that they want to do with their lives than breed to be the basis for your system.
Change the model.

If you want the same rate of birth, I think it's time men started gestating in their own bodies.
Oh, that won't happen?
Well, then you better find a new model because your attempt to force women to breed is going to backfire.

And pills cost up to $95/month.
The pill has been around for 40+ years. It's not new to the market.
It's not the same hormonal cocktail for everyone.
We're women, we're not one size fits all to be your breeding machines.

It's posts like yours and others on this thread that make the US the laughing stock of the developed world.
Regression is neither good, nor going to work.

Old 03-08-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, it's not a leap.
So we need a new model.
Women have other things that they want to do with their lives than breed to be the basis for your system.
Change the model.

And pills cost up to $95/month.
Planned Parenthood states the average cost is $15 per month.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saritaschihuahua View Post
Oh, so you aren't against gay marriage or abortion? Wow, a Catholic who's not against abortion? How do you figure?

No, I don't pay taxes. I'm a poor person, have 15 kids, and live on welfare and food stamps. I've never held a job, can barely read and write, and in fact, I don't plan on ever getting a job, I'm living sooo well as a poor person, and I'm going to have 10 more kids because, hey, why not?
They'd rather women have illegal, back alley abortions again to punish them.
After all, we're all whores and our only duty is to breed.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:07 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,054,775 times
Quote:
You are forgetting about the doctor visit required to get that prescription.....which easily costs hundreds of dollars.

And, not all women can take that $15 generic form of the pill due to side effects, etc.

I have a friend who has to take an expensive version of high blood pressure medication, even though there are cheaper generic ones on the market.

Medication is not "one size fits all".

Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You are forgetting about the doctor visit required to get that prescription.....which easily costs hundreds of dollars.

And, not all women can take that $15 generic form of the pill due to side effects, etc.

I have a friend who has to take an expensive version of high blood pressure medication, even though there are cheaper generic ones on the market.

Medication is not "one size fits all".
You're late. The suggestion was to make the Pill OTC like it is in many countries and not include in the insurance formulary. If it is $15 on average as an Rx it might drop to $5 per month. Based on stats of women who use the Pill, that's about a buck a fu$$. I think they can pay.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:11 PM

688 posts, read 652,606 times
Quote:
Fifteen dollars a month is a quote from a non-profit organization. CVS is going to charge a premium to make a profit, as is the doctor who prescribes it... both of these costs will fall on the woman. Also, because PP is so heavily relied on for affordable healthcare for women (Pap smears, breast cancer screenings, etc.), I would be very surprised if they aren't getting bulk discounts from pharmaceutical companies on birth control medication.

* Additionally, that $15/month quote is also reduced further by large donations to Planned Parenthood made to help cover the costs of items such as birth control pills and condoms.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Did I not say "up to" - why yes, yes, I did. Twice.

Let's see, do you know what average means?
Seems not:
Average - Definition from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
1. a : a single value (as a mean, mode, or median) that summarizes or represents the general significance of a set of unequal values
2. a : an estimation of or approximation to an arithmetic mean
b : a level (as of intelligence) typical of a group, class, or series <above the average>

Apparently some posters on this thread are below average.

Cost of Birth Control Pills - Consumer Information and Prices Paid - CostHelper.com

Additional costs:
Birth control pills are available only with a prescription; getting one requires visiting a doctor for a pelvic exam and sexually transmitted disease tests. This can cost $35 to $200, or a copay of $10 to $30 for patients covered by health insurance.
Discounts:
Clinics such as those operated by Planned Parenthood offer discounted birth control pills to women who qualify. And most college campus health centers do the same for enrolled students.
In most states, Wal-Mart, Target and Kroger pharmacies offer a limited selection of generic birth control pills for $9 per month.

Costs are "typically" $20-$50.

Doesn't your side hate and demonize PP because they "only" provide abortion services?
Now you're using them as a source (incorrectly, I see - deep discounts apply).
And you want to defund them as another attack on women's health.

And every woman is not plug and play, they can't all take the $9/month pill.
The pill does have side effects, but they're only women, their lives don't matter.
If you take a pill that's not good for you, you can die.
Again, we're expendable, we're only women.
Right?
Your mother is/was a woman, too.

From a doctor -
Costs for contraception for those without health insurance

Actually birth control is pretty expensive
Three fourths of women of reproductive age have private insurance, but even with private insurance, women often have to shoulder more of the cost of birth control than do plan participants with other prescriptions, which can run upwards of $50 per month, depending on the method.

The high cost of birth control has prompted 25% of women who make less than $75,000 per year to put off going to the doctor. About 29% of women in the same income range have used their birth control method incorrectly in an attempt to try to make it last longer. And half of women haven't used their method as directed because it's cost-prohibitive.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-08-2013 at 11:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies